Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pin Choice

duluthdan

I could probably live with the brown pins without any problem. They both look good. I just favor the black ones. Subtle changes can change the visual personality of a guitar. Still all comes-down to what each of us likes. I usually don't change things on my guitars, but the ebony pins are a possibility........Anyone remember years ago (at least around 15 years since I last saw them, I think) when they had sets of strings and each string was a different color? Can't recall the brand.

...Anyone remember years ago (at least around 15 years since I last saw them, I think) when they had sets of strings and each string was a different color? Can't recall the brand.

Yes, Larry, owing to my recent string-wrecking experience with round cores, I 'just finished reading a 9+ pg thread on the AGF started by EuroAussie about (~) " what's going on with DR Sunbeams?"... Seems many either love them or hate them. ' Believe someone in that thread mentioned that they were the ones who had the multicolored strings.

Still waiting to find out how Dan was ending up with broken bridge pins.

The two pins that broke were bone. nothing very much outrageous, perhaps there was a couple of weak density spots. Went with Ebony - and you know what? Either from taking the strings down to slack to switch out the pins, or there is a slight difference - softer rounder sorta. Never had my old mate Jeffery around this guitar, but he'd have loved it. Here he is hard strumming a guitar that should have been, to perhaps it is, a Framus.

Going strictly by looks I like the black ebony but I have galalith pins on two of my guitars because I like the tone better. There is a heft to galalith, mass maybe, that makes it different from run of the mill plastic pins and most wooden pins. Aren't naugas related to surimi that are "from the ocean"?

Hadn't heard that about Naugas before - are Surimi seagoing Naugas or are Naugas land based Surimi?

Archived