Gibson Brands Forums

Cracks on the neck joint of my ephi explorer.

afonsof1999

I recently got an epiphone 58 korina explorer, and the other day i noticed a crack along the treble side of the neck joint...The guitar sounds fine and it dosent go out of tune! Is this a serious problem or is it just a crack in the finhish??

Yes, as Parabar says, need a pic, it could be either. However, even if just a finish crack, it should be attended to and at least sealed and stabilized.

I took my Hagstrom Deuce to my luthier on Saturday with a similar problem. A crack in the neck close to the headstock.

The guitar plays fine. Beautifully in fact. But... it is damaged! Flexing the neck opens & closes a tiny fissure.

As your crack is only on one side, its unlikely to open & close with tension applied to the neck. If you are really unlucky, it might still be cracked through to the truss rod cavity though. It might need an experts examination.

I took my Hagstrom Deuce to my luthier on Saturday with a similar problem. A crack in the neck close to the headstock.

The guitar plays fine. Beautifully in fact. But... it is damaged! Flexing the neck opens & closes a tiny fissure.

As your crack is only on one side, its unlikely to open & close with tension applied to the neck. If you are really unlucky, it might still be cracked through to the truss rod cavity though. It might need an experts examination.

The crack is where the neck meets the body... And it dosent look like its deep at all..

I wiil try to get some pictures

Managed to get a better pic...What do you guys think??

The crack goes from the fretboard, tru the sida and the tru the back, it stops at that black dot that i put there...

(Sorry for the amount of replies..My phone has gone mad xD )

Still extremely difficult to make out in terms of wood crack or just finish. Does the crack exactly follow the neck/body joint line?

It may have had an impact somewhere further up the side of the neck or headstock, any marks or dings up there? Any bent tuning pegs?

Still extremely difficult to make out in terms of wood crack or just finish. Does the crack exactly follow the neck/body joint line?

It may have had an impact somewhere further up the side of the neck or headstock, any marks or dings up there? Any bent tuning pegs?

Yes the crack folows the joint limr, thats what is scaring me...

There is a litle chip on the top of tje headstock but thats all, otherwise it dosent even got a scratsh..

If it is a structural problem, is there anything i can do to solve it??

Yes the crack folows the joint limr, thats what is scaring me...

There is a litle chip on the top of tje headstock but thats all, otherwise it dosent even got a scratsh..

If it is a structural problem, is there anything i can do to solve it??

An impact that would chip the headstock could very easily introduce a twisting force at the other end through leverage.

I'd have a luthier or well qualified and trusted tech have a look.

It may be nothing but a surface crack, but the location and path are worrisome!

The reality is, there is NO WAY anyone is going to be able to tell anything from a pic, not over the internet, and no matter how good the pic.

It would need an inspection in hand, by someone knowledgeable and experienced, at LEAST. Especially something that small.

I will offer this though: Unless something is acting wrong, such as flexing, breaking, then there is really no problem to even deal with. Guitars will get finish cracks. All will. Guitars may even get very small cracks in the wood, and NEVER have a problem. Again, not an issue unless it's an issue.

The fix would be to remove the neck, or make the crack big enough to get glue in it and re-glue it. Other than that, there is nothing you can do.

Play it, use it, and go on with life with it. Don't worry about problems that don't exist, or may exist in the future. Use good tubes in your amp and re-cap as needed.

Good advice from stein, if it's not drifting out of tune the neck joint is not moving. That's a good sign, but you are obviously concerned so get it checked when you can.

In the meantime play it and enjoy!

My 2c: if it changes color when you move it under a light bulb, I'd say finish crack.

That's poly, innit... it's thick. So it's very hard to tell. Then again, that's why most poly cracks are finish cracks.

We could argue nitro vs. poly til the cows come home - As a EU:ian, I think I prefer poly.

Archived