Gibson Brands Forums

Want a 2016 Gibson Hummingbird Vintage?

ZZounds and American Musical (same place ) have the 2016 Hummingbird Vintage for $3699 (reg list $4299).

ZZounds

American Musical

That's $600 below everyone else (lower than the J-45 Vintage).

Wonder how long this will last.

Those of you who have recently purchased one might want to check out your price matching policy.

No affiliation.

Looks like they have TWO! If you click the pictures below the main picture you can see they are offering a "blemished" one for $2999 and a regular one for $3699. What are the chances the blemished one is the one I sent back to Gibson? What does Gibson do with returned guitars covered under warranty? Is there a Gibson "employee store" ?

Looks like they have TWO! If you click the pictures below the main picture you can see they are offering a "blemished" one for $2999 and a regular one for $3699. What are the chances the blemished one is the one I sent back to Gibson? What does Gibson do with returned guitars covered under warranty? Is there a Gibson "employee store" ?

I contacted them yesterday and they seem quick, decent and accurate. Can't/won't tell reveal blemishes though. You buy the cat in the sack, but they say the cat is innocent.

Didn't press the button - was only checking.

The Q about the returned G's is good. An Employee Store (something within colleges) , , , perhaps - then again Bozeman don't want too many wounded weirdos out.

Maybe they fix up what can be fixed and where that's impossible maculate, then recycle the clean parts left.

Shooting in the dark here. What is the fate of the space between your frets and bindings - they disappear in midair. . !?

I contacted them yesterday and they seem quick, decent and accurate. Can't/won't tell reveal blemishes though. You buy the cat in the sack, but they say the cat is innocent.

The Q about the returned G's is good. An Employee Store (something within colleges) , , , perhaps - then again Bozeman don't want too many wounded weirdos out.

Maybe they fix up what can be fixed and where that's impossible maculate, then recycle the clean parts left.

Shooting in the dark here. What is the fate of the space between your frets and bindings - they disappear in midair. . !?

Ill answer this question in my long saga of a thread to keep all the info in one place.

Ill answer this question in my long saga of a thread to keep all the info in one place.

Both the guitars in question have AAA tops. Not one sign of pitch lines in either. Backs are quarter sawn as well. You might read the warranty as it doesn't cover the finish.

If you're interested in buying one, I bought two guitars from them and they were good to deal with. And I think they have a 45-day return policy. Although your being on the other side of the pond that may be a bit much for shipping costs.

Their blemished guitars probably are the ones that came back to them not ones sent from Gibson.

I personally think the retailers are hoping people just hit the buy button and pay the full retail price unknowing of the deals that can be done by phoning or emailing about a better price.

(A guitar shop here advertises strings online at about double the price you buy them in in the flesh at their very same shop!!!)

I got 15% more off a guitar online without any more than an email. Which is 30% off the original price by the time it gets out here to far outer dark side of Mars where everything is double....

BluesKing777.

I got 15% more off a guitar online without any more than an email. Which is 30% off the original price by the time it gets out here to far outer dark side of Mars where everything is double....

BluesKing777.

Have you thought of moving Australia closer to the States? Would save you a bundle. (On second thought you should probably wait until after the election....)

So, Hogeye,

I noticed another online retailer about a month ago selling their J-45s (I think) for about $600 lower than the other online retailers.

Does Gibson throw a dealer a bone every once in a while letting them sell below the MAP while everyone else holds the line?

I think a retailer can sell a guitar at what ever price they want. At the point it is at the store,the manufacturer has already been paid at their price. The store sells it at their price, they just can't advertise it less than what the manufacturer says.

I think a retailer can sell a guitar at what ever price they want. At the point it is at the store,the manufacturer has already been paid at their price. The store sells it at their price, they just can't advertise it less than what the manufacturer says.

Bingo. I was told the exact same thing by two different Gibson dealers. Once the guitar is in their shop, it's theirs. They can sell it for whatever they want, they just can't advertise it for less than MAP. I have bought new Gibsons from both of my local dealers quite a bit below any price that I've seen anywhere

If you're interested in buying one, I bought two guitars from them and they were good to deal with. And I think they have a 45-day return policy. Although your being on the other side of the pond that may be a bit much for shipping costs.

Their blemished guitars probably are the ones that came back to them not ones sent from Gibson.

Was only checking - but thanx.

I think the blemish might be the pale spots on the bass side of the first fret, , , or maybe the nut, , , or ?

Anyway, , , dangerously tempting guitars. .

Bingo. I was told the exact same thing by two different Gibson dealers. Once the guitar is in their shop, it's theirs. They can sell it for whatever they want, they just can't advertise it for less than MAP. I have bought new Gibsons from both of my local dealers quite a bit below any price that I've seen anywhere

That was the point of my post. They were advertising them on their web site for $600 less than MAP while everyone else is listing them at MAP.

Anyway, , , dangerously tempting guitars. .

Speaking of dangerously tempting guitars, I was thinking of you Em7 just a few minutes ago when I was at my local GC holding a 1968 Country Western. They had just gotten it in; no tags on it.

I was wishing you were there to explain the guitar to me and the adjustable ceramic bridge since I've never seen one before.

The store clerk (nice guy, definitely wouldn't fit on Denmark Street from what JCV told us) checked the computer and told me it was going for $1599. Bit too many cracks for my taste. Needed frets. The tuners had been replaced with Grover copies.

They also had a 1976 Martin D-35. Classic Martin pick guard crack and several others, suspicious brown mud-paint (Panzer?) on the face of the head stock but not on the back. Strange place for it? Looked like ivory nut and saddle but the saddle was so skinny and low it was difficult to see. I figure the neck reset would cost almost as much as the guitar (also $1599). Based on the condition I wonder if the two guitars were from the same owner?

Anyway, nice half-hour spent among friends of the wooden kind learning about what the lot of you here discuss as the virtues between vintage and modern guitars.

Archived