Gibson Brands Forums

Road Trip J-45 w Humiditrak

duluthdan

A strange rather circuitous route planned for traveling today that will take me through 4 airports and 4 airplanes. My trusty J-45 TV is about to experience a maze of "gate-checks". I have my new D'Addarion Humiditrak in the case, so we ill see if it monitors and records "Impact" info as advertised. Will be a long day - I will try to post the "Impact" reorder on Friday.

IMG_0562_zpsur6nstxc.jpg

So, I carry and gate check my guitar on all flights - everything went fine. As i was disembarking the flight from Salt Lake City to Minneapolis I inquire of one of the attendants to find out where I will pick up my gate checked guitar in its Hiscox case. She pointed, and there it was, buckled into an empty seat in First Class... I wish I could've taken a picture, but I am too slow. The highest impact event picked up by the Humiditrak was 18.0 g. Whatever that is. Guitar is fine. A little out of tune, but survived the trip so far. [biggrin]

I don't see the HumidiPaks that it is supposed to track?

I use them and they work well. (A salt crystal solution calibrated to the amount that draws moisture above 50% humidity or dispels it below 50%)

I bought 3 cheapo Plate Wave hygrometers and they are so far out.....

(Which Hiscox model case do you use?)

Enjoy your trip!

BluesKing777.

Glad to hear all went smoothly. It is very interesting that the Humiditrak actually records the g forces that it experiences. The D'Addario/Planet Waves site gives little specifics. Does it also record the time of the impact(s)?

This Gibson "drop me/kick me" box (so named due to the conspicuous advertising) was received with a crush at the base:

IMG_1285_zpsfumdgfa3.jpg

I attempted to do a pile-driver type move with another guitar box to see how much force it experienced, and was surprised at how hard a box had to be slammed into the floor to yield that sort of crush. Whether or not the guitar received damage from this is debatable. If the Humiditrak records date/time info, it might be an idea to send it to the shipper before boxing that new guitar up (and attach labeling to the box to let handlers know shock recording is in effect)? .

Glad to hear all went smoothly. It is very interesting that the Humiditrak actually records the g forces that it experiences. The D'Addario/Planet Waves site gives little specifics. Does it also record the time of the impact(s)?

This Gibson "drop me/kick me" box (so name due to the conspicuous advertising) was received with a crush at the base:

IMG_1285_zpsfumdgfa3.jpg

I attempted to do a pile-driver type move with another guitar box to see how much force it experienced, and was surprised at how hard a box had to be slammed into the floor to yield that sort of crush. Whether not the guitar received damage from this is debatable. If the Humiditrak records date/time info, it might be an idea to send it to the shipper before boxing that new guitar up (and attach labeling to the box to let handlers know shock recording is in effect)? .

All guitars probably should travel in a case like Dan's (Hiscox) inside the delivery box above!

A forklift will make short work of the KickMe!

Have you seen the video of Fedex Memphis Hub? My recent purchase went through that! Wow.

BluesKing777.

So, I carry and gate check my guitar on all flights - everything went fine. As i was disembarking the flight from Salt Lake City to Minneapolis I inquire of one of the attendants to find out where I will pick up my gate checked guitar in its Hiscox case. She pointed, and there it was, buckled into an empty seat in First Class... I wish I could've taken a picture, but I am too slow. The highest impact event picked up by the Humiditrak was 18.0 g. Whatever that is. Guitar is fine. A little out of tune, but survived the trip so far. [biggrin]

18G's is a reasonably large shock.

http://www.gforces.net/a-discussion-on-typical-examples.html

This guitar case is a Hiscox Pro II. The little Humiditrak is mounted to the accessories compartment top - visible on the right side of the neck in the photo above. I am not at all sure that the impact alert recorder is measuring in "G" Forces or not - can't find info on that. All I know is it is stated as 17.6 g and 18.0 g etc etc. The time of " Impact Incident" is also recorded, I think in military speak - "04/21/2016 at 21:29:37" All is good. 39% at 73 degrees. Its a nice thing to have.

Archived