Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody ever held one of these?

sparquelito

The Yamaha Revstar line of solid-body electric guitars.

The look is interesting, the features more so, and they come well-reviewed.

Seems to embody the overall groove of a double-cutaway Gibson Les Paul with the handsomeness of an Ibanez Artist, and maybe the simplicity of some of the basic Melody Makers.

I am reading about these guitars online, but I can honestly say I have never seen one in person.

Have any of you ever picked one up and got to play it?

[mellow]

yamaha-revstar-rs620-brb.jpg

Hello!

I observed a few in a local shop. The Indonesian-made models seem to be very well-made for the price. The Japanese are in the same price range as Les Paul Studios (at least in EU), but the Gibsons seem to represent a much higher level of quality. That's why I didn't wasted my time to try one.

Bence.

Thanks, Bence.

The question was more in the line of 'how do these guitars play, sound and feel?' for my own education.

(Not because I see myself wanting to own one someday.)

But if a friend in another State or a beloved niece or nephew were to come across a Revstar at a decent price, and ask my opinion on them, right now I would be unable to advise them in any way.

There is no comparing a proper Gibson to a Yamaha or a Squier, this much is true.

Just as there is no comparing a Cadillac to a Ford Pinto or an East German Trabant.

But I always wondered how it would feel to drive a Trabant on the Autobahn.

:unsure:

Hello!

The two reasons why I did compare the Revstar to Gibsons are the similar construction, and the price range. As far as I am concerned, if a guitar looks Gibson-esque, and costs like one, I'd rather look for the real thing.

The Trabant? It's a horror. I had one for two weeks - almost died in it, when it slipped on a piece of ice, downhills at 70 Km/h speed. After that incident, it ended up a nearby swamp.

Bence.

The Trabant? It's a horror. I had one for two weeks - almost died in it, when it slipped on a piece of ice, downhills at 70 Km/h speed. After that incident, it ended up a nearby swamp.

Bence.

Ha ha ha!

I'm glad you came out of that situation alive and well, friend!

I saw plenty of Trabants in East Germany during the cold war years, and then (for the first year after the wall and the fence came down) all over the roadways in West Germany.

I just never got to drive one.

Trabi owners were always under the hoods of those cars at the Autobahn rest stops, fiddling with the carburetor, changing spark plugs, and/or repairing something!

[scared]

meh, i'll keep my ibanez artist. i get a slotted tail piece, and a carved top. not a fan of flat tops. the super 58 pups sound pretty good, has switching options, i haven't had to modify a thing.

yamaha makes good stuff afaik, but that guitar's looks miss the mark by just a little, for me

Archived