Gibson Brands Forums

Jogging your memory

ksdaddy

It was at LEAST 2 years ago... Martin had an online poll of some sort and they mailed out a free set of strings... the coated type...SP?

Ring a bell?

I got them in the mail back in whatever year and they've been on one of my guitars ever since. I'd sure like to know what they are. I thought I read somewhere that the early ones were made by Cleartone but they have since 'not' been made by Cleartone.

Anyone?

My 2014 Les Paul Trad came with Cleartone strings fitted from new (I bought it last September) and there still on it and there great. I've never used them before (there not that easy to get in the U.K, at least not without paying silly money) but I'll use them again.

Ian

I emailed Cleartone and got a reply within minutes. They said the early SP strings were made by Martin, shipped to Cleartone, treated, and returned. Martin has since begun using their own process. Safe bet that the strings I'm using fit the first scenario.

I believe I will buy a set of Cleartones and put them on another guitar just to see if it was a fluke.

Archived