Gibson Brands Forums

The Never Ending Struggle with the G String

Greg1967

And using the method that doesn't involve harmonics paid off in regards to my SG. Although the saddle is back pretty far. It's not as far as it was. And the intonation is spot on.

Good deal!

rct

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as setting the intonation goes, I agree with rct on the proper method and mind-set for adjusting the intonation;

you have to fret the thing in order to ensure you are doing it right, and to ensure that your upper fretboard work sounds just as lovely as your cowboy chords.

And as to flipping the adjustable bridge in order to get it right, I say flip it.

Whatever it takes to get all six strings just right.

Now that the original topic has played-out, here's an Australian pop artist playing some harmonic pop music.

Impressive and lovely.

:)

At work I use a metric crescent wrench, and some times I get a bucket of steam, but when I get to where I need it has already evaporated.

We're out of Black and White striped paint.

rct

Is that what they use to paint the flight line?

Yes. We can't send the new kids out for a can of dial tone because they have no idea what that is.

rct

I recently bought a Gibson 2015 SG Standard. The cluck at the music store thru in a set of Official Gibson Vintage strings. I played around with the intonation for close to 3 weeks. The intonation was spot on, but every time I played a chord it just didn't sound right. It sounded like something was really out of wack. So I tried a set of Elixer Nano strings. Problem gone. Go figure eh.

Sorry I am late to the party and I may be opening myself up to some dirt bombs, but when I intonate I always match the 12th fret harmonic to the note fretted at the 12th fret. Why? Because both notes are in the same octave and my simpleton brain reads the display on my strobe tuner better when the same "wheels" are spinning.

Sorry I am late to the party and I may be opening myself up to some dirt bombs, but when I intonate I always match the 12th fret harmonic to the note fretted at the 12th fret. Why? Because both notes are in the same octave and my simpleton brain reads the display on my strobe tuner better when the same "wheels" are spinning.

That's one thing great about the internet here...we could actually learn something. Not talking down, I do all the time.

There's two things with this thread, the argument, and then if one could put that aside, notice the OP actually tried the suggestion and it works.

Here's my take based on experience: the harmonic sometimes vibrates differently than the open note, or a plain one. depending on the guitar, it can actually be slightly off as far as tuning goes. (different guitars DO vibrate differently). The other is that sometimes, a particular tuner will pick up the frequencies of a harmonic note a little differently than an open one or a "regular" note.

Just a little food for thought there.

Personally, I think using the open note (or the harmonic) is just getting in the ballpark. If I am actually got the screwdriver out and the tuner and am going to adjust the thing, I'm checking ALL the frets, playing them the way they are actually played, and checking how accurate the nut is as well. I average EVERYTHING to be as close as possible. I find that MOST of the time, the nut is the furthest off from the rest of the frets, and therefore really the worst reference one can use for intonating.

Archived