Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Lessons

pappy

This week I found a guitar teacher that I believe I can relate to. We talked and I will begin lessons in August.The reason being is that the next two months are jam packed with family travel, and my daughter and her family come up for the first two weeks of July.

This young lady has already given me a start with some finger exercises,also learning the fretboard and reading notes,something that I have totally forgotten over many years.

Here is her resume,and along with that she is willing to take on an old fart like me.

Overview

Originally from the UK, I traveled and studied music in Brisbane, Australia, where I gained a Diploma in Contemporary Music in 2000. Since then I have toured internationally, supported major acts such as Kid Rock, Ben Harper, Bastille, Ludacris, Cypress Hill and The Roots to name but a few, recorded albums, guested with numerous bands such as members of Portishead, Massive Attack, Robert Plant's Band of Joy and The Black Keys and composed music scores for two feature films and various shorts along with directing my own music video and having my music featured in various movies and TV shows. I also have booked acts across the US and organized music festivals in Los Angeles.

I have vast skills from performance to management, booking, PR and placements in film and television. Whether you are looking to just begin learning an instrument for fun or would like to take your skills further and move towards becoming a professional musician, I have the skills and expertise to help you along every step of the way. I tailor each lesson to meet the needs of the student, teaching them exactly what they would like to learn and having lots of fun doing it!

*** Lesson Details ***

For the first lesson we will discuss what you are hoping to achieve, what kind of structure you would like for your lessons (theory, performance etc) and I will assess your skill level. Then I will tailor exercises, lessons and study to suit your needs.

*** Studio Equipment ***

Fender Rhodes Piano

Doric Vintage Organ

Microphones and Stands

Pro Tools

Fender Amp

Jaguar Bass

1968 Hagstrom Bass

Gibson Les Paul Guitar

Dan Electro Guitar

1950s Burns Bass

Fender Acoustic

Yamaha Mini Acoustic

Small Boss Keyboard

Flutes, Harmonicas, Percussion

Ipod, cd player

Various effects pedals for voice and guitar etc

*** Travel Equipment ***

Can bring guitars, mics, stands, practice amp and small keyboard

*** Specialties ***

Specializing in rock, pop and soundtrack music, I can also teach performance and acting stage skills and voice projection.

Enjoy, pappy. Looks like you may have found the teacher who fits you.

I am really enjoying the interaction with mine. Certainly has been able to overcome my initial reluctance to start reading music notation and some of the instruction is thought provoking and not simply about playing but challenging my preconceptions, such as the thumb playing the bass line not the bass strings, it can be used on the 3rd (G) and sometimes even the 2nd (B) string with the fingers playing the melody, even if it's played on the bass strings.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Over a number of weeks I have talked with 7 different instructors. Three of them never really took the time to delve into my ability or what I was seeking to accomplish. Those three were more interested in showing me their playing prowess. The other three there wasn't any connection at all,the gal I finally found took the time to talk to me and seek what I was hoping to accomplish.She never really focused on herself. After a twenty minute interview she then agreed to take me on and although I am not actually starting till August she took the time to start me off with some exercises and will add on as I work through them. And besides all that she is easy on the eyes.,now that did not have anything to do with me making my decision.I am looking forward to moving on with the lessons,as she has already challenged my abilities.

My favorite guitar teacher story is when a friend signed up for a beginner's class just after Nirvana hit. It was apparent that the teacher was an out-of-work shredder, and bitter about it.

Apparently, he let fly something fierce - for like a half-hour! - when some poor kid said he liked Cobain's playing. God, wish I'd been there!

My favorite guitar teacher story is when a friend signed up for a beginner's class just after Nirvana hit. It was apparent that the teacher was an out-of-work shredder, and bitter about it.

Apparently, he let fly something fierce - for like a half-hour! - when some poor kid said he liked Cobain's playing. God, wish I'd been there!

(PRICELESS)[cursing]

Glad you found the right teacher Pappy. Sounds she can take you where you want to get to on the guitar. I remember when I took lessons way back as a kid, it forced me to practice those lessons several times a day till the fingers hurt so I could do them for my cousin for the next lesson. Like you, I forgot so much and still can't read music. Myself, I get by with buying only music with the guitar chords printed in the songs, or notation. That took me awhile to get used to because it seems it's upside down. The high E is printed on the top staff and the Low E is printed on the bottom. Never understood why they do it that way. Keep us informed of your progress, I've thought about taking lessons too since my wife takes sewing lessons every week. I'd be interested in Blues lessons. Those solos through me a big loop.

Best of luck...

Personally I've had two guitar "lessons" since I bought my first guitar in '63; both so-called "master classes" with a true classical guitar master, Christopher Parkening. It was mostly a matter of luck and woulda been worth a year's paycheck.

The best thing I recall from that three hours or so is, "Your right hand works well, but your left looks like you've been doing too much bluegrass."

Frankly that was worth all the fear and nervousness in trying to play Bach for a master, because it taught me to think about what I was doing with my hands, and why, and what I wanted my guitar and music to be.

I think I could have become a mediocre concert guitarist if I had more lesson time regularly with him. I simply lack the talent to be great. But instead, thanks to those few hours, I've simply played what I kinda liked because I kinda liked it, different material at different times, and the hands kinda let me do it.

I've modified somewhat when playing for money or for special concept stuff like being asked to do the guitar part for "Man of La Mancha" on basically two or three days' notice or cowboy gigs, but...

It's mostly 'cuz I always question what I was doing with my hands, and why, and what did I want my guitar and music to be.

Then again, some folks have claimed I make a musical loose cannon who won't settle down to doing one thing.

BTW, I get a kick outa your teacher's CV where it includes learning to project your voice. Never been a problem here, in fact, the opposite at times when teaching various classes and such.

m

Archived