Gibson Brands Forums

Korean Sheraton

Willsby

Just brought me a 89 Korean Sheraton and I've gotta say its a fantastic guitar, fit and finish is so much better than my Chinese made Sheraton Union Jack, pickups aren't as good admittedly but then the Chinese one has Gibson 57 mini humbuckers, but getting all the electrics and pickups changed to bare knuckle stormy Monday's,

Can't wait to get it back in a few weeks 😁

CF33E98D-2D4B-4DE7-95BA-F16446EC1133.jpg

I had one just like that. It was a decent guitar, the pickups needed to be replaced, and the gold plating lasted like a month before it started to wear off.

I have a newer Sheraton Pro II purchased late last year,(and those are MIC afaik) and I don't see where these are any less than the pre 90 MIKs.

It's pretty much flawless. The hardware in general is quite a lot better, especially the pickups

I too have MIK 1989 Sheri, same finish as yours. I replaced the P/Us myself, and FYI, changing the pots and caps and wiring are not necessary, they are fine, it's the PUs that are lousy. In addition, these Sheris have very small openings on the F-Holes, smaller than the newer ones, making fitting larger pots in there impossible, so you have to stick with the mini-pots.

You should put in a Switchcraft jack though, the originals are not that good and get noisy. With Gibson 57 Humbuckers, mine now is a blues king. I put on a set of Ernie Ball .010 slinkys, plays great.

None of the post 1999 Sheratons I have seen have the wonderful nibs on the neck edge binding that cover the fret ends, giving them a genuine Gibson feel. Gibson has even quit doing this on all but their most expensive guitars, which is yet another drop in their quality. With every passing year, we see more things being discontinued, and less expensive wood, synthetic adhesives and paint, and now, even fake ebony fingerboards!

Because of that, the MIK and MIJ Epis are slowly going up in value, and I predict they will eventually become much more valuable due to the quality features in the workmanship they have that are no longer available.

Just a gorgeous guitar, also really like the violin burst. A classy, rich color, beautiful! The new electrics should sound killer, the Bare Knuckles have an excellent reputation for tones that everyone loves. Congrats on a fine acquisition, a keeper! [thumbup]

Just a gorgeous guitar, also really like the violin burst. A classy, rich color, beautiful! The new electrics should sound killer, the Bare Knuckles have an excellent reputation for tones that everyone loves. Congrats on a fine acquisition, a keeper! [thumbup]

Aye a good exchange for a jap tele I no longer used, was really impressed with how well it looked and felt, only kept it for a day then sent it off to my luthier to have the work done, gonna be gone for about 3 weeks, so looking forward to getting it back...

Archived