Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard Conditioner Safe for my ES-335?

silver_mica

Hey,

I've recently purchased polish and other care products for my guitars - including my 1997 Gibson ES-335. What I got is a kit of three small bottles called "Luthier's Choice" which appear to be a Gibson product or Gibson approved product. Each of the three bottles contain the following: String cleaner/Lubricant, Hi Gloss Guitar Polish and Fretboard Conditioner. If you're interested, here is a link to this product: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AILC975

I noticed written on the fretboard conditioner bottle (under the directions) "Not recommended for finished fingerboards."

I feel a bit like a poser asking this question, but does my 1997 Gibson ES-335 have a "finished" finger board?

I'm fairly certain a picture of my fretboard isn't needed due to the consistency of the ES-335 - but I have attached a picture showing the fretboard close up.

I should say this: what I'd actually like to accomplish is simply cleaning the fretboard of gunk between string changes - not necessarily conditioning it (for all my guitars - not just a Gibson) So, perhaps another method is better.

Any advice or comments are much appreciated.

Thanks!

David

post-74140-073586500 1465013063_thumb.jpeg

In my experience Gibson fretboards are unfinished...my ES335's certainly was unfinished

Hope this answers your question

Again in my experience, finished fretboards are like some Fenders(Strats and Teles) with lacquered maple boards

And other rosewood boards which have varying degrees of 'sealer' applied to reduce porosity

V

:-({|=

Just a few thoughts, and expressing my own opinions and experience on the matter;

A guitar is a hunk of cobbled-together wood and metal.

A Gibson guitar is a well-made, well-designed hunk of cobbled-together wood and metal.

It's tough.

Designed to put up with a lot, and to hold its shape and integrity through a lot of abuse.

Hot weather, cold weather, high humidity, low humidity, smoky bars, sweaty hands, spilled drinks, and clumsy drummers (arm slung precariously across the shoulder of a braless groupie) tripping across the stage.

A Gibson guitar will handle all that, and come out just fine, in-tune, and shining like a new penny every time.

IF we apply just a bit of care and TLC.

* Wipe down your strings after each playing with a soft cotton rag, bandana, or terry-cloth square.

* Buff off the guitar with any decent wax or guitar polish, on a weekly basis.

* Buff also the metal bits, the pickups, the bridge, and the tuners and machine heads.

* Never put it away damp or wet, especially snapped into its case.

* When you re-string, take the time to hit the fret wires with a soft toothbrush, and a spritz of that Luthier's Choice or Gibson Guitar Polish. Martin's Guitar Polish is also great.

Buff them dry afterwards, and then re-string.

Whether your fingerboard is raw rosewood or lacquered maple, that Luthier's Choice is just fine.

In my humble opinion.

:)

When I bought my -335 in Tokyo last year, the tech said he had conditioned the fretboard. In a short time it looked dry, cracked, and faded. In my eyes horrible compared to the rest of the guitar. Lemon oil only improved the condition for a month or so. Then I discovered Bore Doctor: Be A Fifer

Timed with string changes, applying the bore doctor mostly closed up the cracks and crevices, and the color is now a rich dark reddish brown. Lovely as I imagined it always would be. Shouldn't need another treatment for quite some time now.

A finisheed finger board is like the Fenders that have a polyester coating which a wood conditioner has no effect on. Gibson uses bare wood.

[biggrin] Well, not exclusively. My either all-maple 1973 L6-S and 2011 L6S remake have finished maple boards:

IMG_1631_zpsjgcbmr6g.jpg

Anyway, it is best to do without fretboard conditioners on barely wooden fretboard surfaces, too. [thumbup]

Archived