Gibson Brands Forums

1950 LG-1 came to my bench!

ksdaddy

Here's a 1950 LG1 that was bought new by a (then) young lady. It's been closet-ridden for years and now she wants to start playing again. The bridge was popped loose and the center seam was open, in addition to a crack by the pickguard. For reasons known to God and the woman, she brushed on some varnish over the entire back and some on the top as well. I didn't touch that but it would be a fairly easy fix. I fixed the bridge and cracks and will walk away with a cool fifty bucks. Oh, I included a new set of strings too. Let the good times roll!

2s65wgp.jpg

egkcy.jpg

20h3wqc.jpg

1yrhxt.jpg

IF it works keep it. The new stuff don't last as long. My daughter and son-in-law are on their 3rd flat panel TV they've corporately owned in their now 7 year marriage.

My new Panasonic / Quazar colored TV was built in 1980. I got the converter box and am ready for the big switch-over. However, the tube is beginning to show it's age. There are a couple yeller areas on the right and left, but only noticable when the background is blue.... Then 'solid state' TVs are bullit proof.

Your clock-radio appears to be on of them newer fangled ones with big blue LEDs, not the rolodex numbered ones. I suspect you have the bejeweled cat clock on the wall as well?

It was one of the first LED ones out there. Retail was $52.95 but it was at Value House (later Service Merchandise) for about $29 (Feh! Who pays retail, I ask you?). $29 in 1976 was about 11 hours minimum wage so it'd be like paying $80 now, even after deeply discounted. Hard to find an everyday clock radio over $15 at WalMart nowadays.

I inherited my grandmother's 1988 25" floor model in 1996 and it still works fine but the thyristor(?) is bad.... so it won't turn on every time. If you are lucky enough to get it to turn on within an hour, all is perfect. Good luck finding anyone to work on a tv in this day, so it's in the garage. I wandered into WalMart and saw a freakin' WALL of flat screens. I found one 32" under $500 and figured that was the one, when I looked down and there were three big boxes on the floor. What a shocker! In those boxes were 27" CRT tvs with digital tuners for $238. Jeezum Crow, there's the one for me! But for reasons unkown I figured I'd at least go home and discuss with the family. While supper was cooking I got an email update from the local Freecycle group. Someone had a 32" Sharp (CRT) they wanted hauled off. Yowza! I like such terms! The only problem with the tv was the coax jack was broken off and the battery cover was missing from the remote. So I just use the RCA jacks instead of the coax.

As to digital, I haven't even pursued it. We have a dish and the only "over the air" channels we ever got were the local TV station, the CBC station, and PBS. Couldn't care less if I see them. I have Direct TV and a DVR so I can watch every episode of Mythbusters as often as I like....

photo56.jpg

So, how'd it sound? How'd it feel? (the LG1, not the clock!)... I had a '64 that I absolutely loved. Gave to my son 5 or 6 mos. ago. Never had the smallest problem with it. Did have to get the frets dressed a couple of years ago though. They're heavy duty, or at least look to be.

The neck has a nice round 'full' feeling without being Kay-clubby. The sound is.... well.... okay. It's not overly powerful and didn't make me lust to own one of my own. Honestly though, it may just need to get the molecules shaking again after several years of inactivity.

I've still got the LG-1 I got for graduating from eighth grade. Unfortunately it was the first decent guitar that any of a bunch of us had and shows a great deal of scars from that - but still plays great and has a boatload of memories in there.

photo56.jpg

Sweet Louisa Marie!.. Woodja gettaloada them!

Are those Cragers or Keystones??... and new skins... I can smell the rubber now!. (you really gotta work on your photographic composition. Too much clutter in the foreground.)

You got that one pinned on your workshop wall KSDADDY?

Has it been a week since I've been gone?

Woops! WOS. gotta switch threads.

I agree, it is one of the prettier Gibsons to pass through the slightly off-plumb portal to my shop. Sounds awful though. Sorry, I call 'em the way I see 'em. A couple years ago I rebuilt an exploded '53 LG-1 and it sounded the same. I had to make 2 new top braces from scratch as they had just plain unglued and disappeared. Probably happened sometime after both the top and back popped loose and it got shuffled around in the attic once every couple years.... "What's this strip of wood?" "I dunno, there's another one on the floor. Looks like cedar kindling. Throw it in the wood box." So I radiused the braces and all that, done it up right, used quartersawn spruce and sized them correctly based on info about other period LG1s..... and it sounded awful. I had that on my shoulders, thinking I had done something awful.... think of when Charlie Brown placed one ball on his Christmas tree and it collapsed.....

2micz4.jpg

"I've killed it."

I don't feel so bad now, since this one sounds like a wet cereal box too. Now maybe I've handled two duds in a row and the rest are wonderful, but it sure proves that just because it's old and says Gibson on it, doesn't make it any good.

It makes one wonder exactly how much difference the X bracing would make instead of ladder. People have said there's a huge difference but I've never had the chance to A-B them. I do know if the situation ever happened that another old LG was on the bench in pieces I would like to do a single X brace instead of rebuilding the ladder braces. I think the bridge plate on an X brace is much smaller too, and God only knows how much impact that would have on tone.

Tommy, I may as well have been looking at the mags because I could never take Ms. Byron out on a date. She's used to stuff exploding, burning, crashing, or falling from great heights on a regular basis and I've only got one house and a fixed number of vehicles to destroy; after that we'd have to go bowling. She might not be considered high maintenance, there's just a good chance you'll burn, drown, or explode before the night is out.

I won't argue with your description on the sound.

The real killer on this is trying to not apply today type money into the equation of what this cost vs the guitar my brother got the next year for graduating high school. My LG-1 cost $75 (wholesale in 1965). My brother got an SJ that cost $125 (wholesale 1966). Ouch! Were there any justice he'd be the one with the LG-1 and I;d have the SJ...

I've had lots of nice guitars since but am still waiting on landing a nice Gibson. I'm awfully taken with the look of the advanced jumbo.....

II don't feel so bad now, since this one sounds like a wet cereal box too. Now maybe I've handled two duds in a row and the rest are wonderful, but it sure proves that just because it's old and says Gibson on it, doesn't make it any good.

Scott, you really may have just gotten a few bad ones. You ever come down DC way, you have to check out my LG-1. It may be a tad quieter, but its tone is as sweet as just about any Gibson I've played. That includes my Banner LG-2 as well as that lovely quilted J-45 I picked up at that Homecoming a couple of years ago.

I'm sure (or at least I hope) I just handled 2 dead ones in a row. In all fairness, both of them sat a long long time, one of them apart and the other with a split open top and a loose bridge. They probably would loosen up after being played a while but of course I never get to see that, since they leave me quickly after being fixed.

Archived