Gibson Brands Forums

12 fret guitars

eltonwce

I just purchased a OO Rosewood/Sitka guitar attached at the 12th fret.25.5 scale. I had never played one before. It seems as if the strings are under a lot more tension. Does anyone have any experience with this. It will take a little while to get used to this. Does any one know if this is normal? Thanks in advance. Bill

I just purchased a OO Rosewood/Sitka guitar attached at the 12th fret.25.5 scale. I had never played one before. It seems as if the strings are under a lot more tension. Does anyone have any experience with this. It will take a little while to get used to this. Does any one know if this is normal? Thanks in advance. Bill

I have a 12 fret Santa Cruz Guitar Company RS, and I haven't noticed extra tension. I do tune down a 1/2 step with 13s so maybe that is why.

String tension is a product of string gauge and scale length. Where the guitar neck meets the body has no impact on string tension.

What JT said. Elton said 25.5" scale. That's the same scale as a Telecaster. So I'd expect some pretty bright, snappy tones out of it. I'm sure you'd feel that tension in your hands. You might want to reduce the gauge of your string choice from what you have to make it slightly easier to play.

Thanks for the responses. I think it is just getting used to a new guitar with different brand strings.I typically use Martin PB or Gibson if I can find them. I have both long and short scale guitars and am used to playing with medium strins. Not sure what is on guitar. It is a new Larrivee.Really nice guitar. I have six Gibsons and thought I would try something different with a 12 fret. Bill

Archived