Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les paul

DennisB643

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool acoustic guy who just wants to get an electric to fool around with (get a pedal or two, etc). I've watched a ton of Youtube videos and have decided on a LP, but which one? The Les Paul 100 seems much cheaper (price wise) than the Les Paul Standard. I know you get what you pay for but I guess my question is what's the difference between the 100 and the Standard, and which would you recommend?

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool acoustic guy who just wants to get an electric to fool around with (get a pedal or two, etc). I've watched a ton of Youtube videos and have decided on a LP, but which one? The Les Paul 100 seems much cheaper (price wise) than the Les Paul Standard. I know you get what you pay for but I guess my question is what's the difference between the 100 and the Standard, and which would you recommend?

The LP-100 has a bolt on neck vs. the Standard's set neck. the Standard will have better pickups, tuners, etc. if you don't want a bolt on but want to spend less you might also look at the Les Paul Studio.

it's all about your budget,

the difference in these two examples is miles apart from one another.

to some degree.. you get what you pay for holds a lot of water here.

I would suggest you look at the second hand market if the best bang for your buck is the goal.

what are you looking to spend? there's a lot of options out there.. if we had a ball park ($) we could offer some other ideas.

You may want to try out a few different types and see what you like. It looks like the LP 100 has pretty hot pickups. Not everyone is into hot pickups. Plus as there are differences between different lines of Les Pauls, there are differences in every guitar. Sometimes you have to play a bunch to find one that is 'just right.'

Also, as was said by Mr. Blast, you could probably get a used Gibson Les Paul Studio for $500 or a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Plus Top etc for a few hundred.

it's all about your budget,

the difference in these two examples is miles apart from one another.

to some degree.. you get what you pay for holds a lot of water here.

I would suggest you look at the second hand market if the best bang for your buck is the goal.

what are you looking to spend? there's a lot of options out there.. if we had a ball park ($) we could offer some other ideas.

$400-550 range, considering the amount of play time it will get.

Hi Dennis

with that budget, there's the Epi Les Paul Standard, or if your also interested in looking at other options there's the SG Pro or going the "Fenderish route" you have the Squire Classic Vibe strats and tele's, which are real good values too. (add the case with any you are in your range)

this link may help give you some ideas:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Solidbody_Guitars?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyI2Il0sIkJyYW5kIjpbIkVwaXBob25lIiwiU3F1aWVyIl19fQ

If you're shopping the second hand market, like Ebay or CL, you could probably set your sites in an Epi Tribute series les paul, (a bit better hardware and electronics, eg: Locking tuners and improved pickups with coil split options,, these are real nice for the dough) In fact, there's one for sale in the forums trading post if you're looking to move on this now. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/131436-epiphone-les-pual-tribute-plus-for-sale/ looks pretty sweet, right in your range, and comes with the case.

Best,

/ray

I think the Std. comes w/ Alnico Classic humbuckers. The PlusTop Pro model comes w/ ProBuckers. There's a comparison video on YouTube, haven't seen it but maybe worth checking out.

I have no experience with the Epi Alnico Classics (made to mimic the Classic '57s?), but the ProBuckers in my Epi LP Standard Plustop Pro (wish they'd make the name longer) are awesome.

If you buy new, see if you can try both models and see which one you like best.

Maybe I could get a job at Epiphone - I can talk about the Plustop Pro all day ;)

Hey I can chime in on the pro-buckers, those are the pickups in my Sheraton, and it seems many of the "Pro" series Epis I believe...

For Imports, probably the best pickups Epi branded I've used yet. Stand up very well along side USA made Gibsons and third party pickups like Duncans.

good definition, take distortion nicely, and the split options do give you a decent array of tones. Definitely a two thumbs up!

PS: my swingster has SwingBuckers, and those are pretty darn good too...

Ray: cool, cool. Good to know I'm not alobe.

I know I'm virtually a zealot when it comes to my LP Plustop, and you could probably factor having to sell a bunch of gear and making-do into it theoretically, but I'm sold on this one.

I think the ProBuckers were modeled after the BurstBuckers, and do my ears deceive me, or aren't they just a little bit hotter?

What I like is they sound, to me anyway, just a little bit hotter - and as such have that lil bit of extra bite that I think the BurstBuckers miss... but they're not sacrificing tone for "hotness".

As such, I think the OP should check them out.

Hi Pinch,

the only BB was ever familiar with were the originals that came in my 2002 standard.

eventually I swapped them out for some Seymour Duncans, as they just weren't "me"... :)

but I Guess depends these days one which ones, as they get hotter as you increase the #,, BurstBucker 1s, not as hot as 3s..

The Sheraton has it's own voice due to the semi hollow, I should add my Son has an LP Tribute Plus with these pickups too and yea, they smoke!

Not your fathers Epiphone standard issue stuff for sure.

Also, repeating, there's an LP for sale in the trading post that is 1: in the budget, and 2: has all the goodies!

I liked the BBs in my 2014 V (sadly no longer in my possession :()), but I thought they lacked a little bit of bite. Don't get me wrong, they sounded amazing, but just a TAD more bite woulda been welcome. I find the ProBuckers have that without sacrificing warmth.

The LP100 doesnt have a set neck but it does have a thin neck thin like a strat. It has a carved top and decent sounding pickups. I got mine for $150. off guitar center used site. It has covered tuner but they arnt the best slightly thinner body not as heavy.

The studio to me feels alot like the standard has better tuners then the LP100 and slightly better pickups. They have a classic look but you remove the pickguard and it starts to look more modern hot rodish.

The Standards feel heavier are more solid feeling and the hardware feels alot better they look better IMO as well. Both my standards have less aggressive pickups then a studio they sound more classic. MIne has bindings the block inlays and a burst type finish.

So far the Standards have the largest neck ive used so far not only is it wide its thick from the fretboard back.

This is about what ive gathered so far

Archived