Gibson Brands Forums

ES339 57 Classics vs Burstbuckers

Ess

I had been looking for a ES339 for a long time and just picked up a beauty I found in a pawn shop. 2009 model that looks like it has never been played! Immaculate, all original, case candy and even the paper still on the pick guard.

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the original spec 57 Classic pups to the new spec Burstbuckers? Any opinions on 57 vs bbs on the 339?

IMG_20160715_131831_zpswyaistpb.jpg

I had been looking for a ES339 for a long time and just picked up a beauty I found in a pawn shop. 2009 model that looks like it has never been played! Immaculate, all original, case candy and even the paper still on the pick guard.

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the original spec 57 Classic pups to the new spec Burstbuckers? Any opinions on 57 vs bbs on the 339?

I have the BB Pros which I heard weren't very good yet I was very impressed with their tone. I would think the 57s would be perfect for the 339: literally made for each other. You've got a selection of paf buckers in the 57,57+, BB1 BB2, BB3 and BB lead and BB Rhythm. Theseare all paf style with slight differences to account for tastes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My es-339 came with 57 classics. I REALLY didn't want to go through the pain of changing them but they were so dull and lifeless. Not too bad playing alone, but just didn't stand out in a mix. I changed to BB2 and 3 but the neck was way too hot, couldn't get a decent clean tone. Changes to Bb1 and bb2 and it was magic. Chime, sparkle, yet plenty of warm drive. I like them in a semi hollow a whole lot.

• 2 weeks later...

My 335 and 339 both came with 57 Classics and while they were OK, I've never really bonded with the sound of them in either guitar.

A couple of months ago I swapped the pickups in the 339 for Bareknuckle PG Blues (as I love that out of phase tone) and, man what a difference these have made. Both the neck and bridge positions now sound like I think a PAF should sound. I think a big part of the difference is that the PG's aren't wax potted which I think seems to muffle some of the frequencies and make it too focussed (to my ears anyway).

My Historic 57 Goldtop has BB's in it and, again, they're not potted and they have a similar 'airy' tone to them which is missing from the 57 Classics.

Just my thoughts on the 57's........

Archived