Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guard Peeled off. How to glue it back on?

skilsaw

The pick guard peeled of the top of my son's SJ-200. Actually, it started to lift and I just coaxed it off. Nitro-cellulose Finish underneath is pristine. All glue off and used a bit of Fender Custom Cleaner to make it totally ready for re-applying the pick guard.

So, what do you figure? Elmer's? Epoxy? Contact Cement? Absolutely not!!!

What would be the correct adhesive?

I have some super thin and transparent double sided tape that may do the trick, and it may not.

What do the pros use?

Also, there is tons of glue on the back of the pick guard. I'm trying a little mineral spirits on it right now. If that gets 99%, I'll probably finish the glue removal with iso propyl alcohol to get it totally clean before applying new glue.

If that doesn't work, what do you suggest? I don't want to hurt the paint on the top of the pick guard.

Or would the best approach would be to take it back to the dealer and have them send it to their luthier?

Lighter fluid will remove glue residue from the back of the guard and from the guitar's top with no ill effects.

Stew- Mac sells double sided sheets of backing glue that most use to attach a guard.

I've several sheets. PM me and I'll send you one for just the simple cost of the mailing.

Some folks swear by tape, as you've read so far. Stew-Mac has some decent double stick material if that's how you decide to go. I've had better results letting my luthier deal with regluing issues, but that's a choice best left to the individual.

Lives with it.Even though you put a new 2-side tape on the pickguard but soon it will peel off again.I suggest you to do it when it's time to sell your guitar just to make it looks good and back to the original condition so you don't loose the resell value.

Archived