Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Limited Edition Western Classic Mystic Acoustic Guitar

Victory Pete

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to buy new and trade for old vintage or viceversa. Ive owned 25 or so. From the brazilians to mystics to the madis. I decided a while a go it was time to focus on collectibles or vintage and the odd new guitar but it all depends on cost. I would never buy a new guitar now. Not for the types of woods applied and the dollar amount they cost today. There not nice enough to warrent there value asked. I think the last classic i sold 2900 cdn was it for a 4100 guitar at the time. I do think the classic model is about the best gibson has to offer. In the j200 line up. The rest are just stupidly priced. Considering used ones and plenty out there can be had for way less.

I used to buy new and trade for old vintage or viceversa. Ive owned 25 or so. From the brazilians to mystics to the madis. I decided a while a go it was time to focus on collectibles or vintage and the odd new guitar but it all depends on cost. I would never buy a new guitar now. Not for the types of woods applied and the dollar amount they cost today. There not nice enough to warrent there value asked. I think the last classic i sold 2900 cdn was it for a 4100 guitar at the time. I do think the classic model is about the best gibson has to offer. In the j200 line up. The rest are just stupidly priced. Considering used ones and plenty out there can be had for way less.

Interesting, I am just the opposite, I let a 1957 Southern Jumbo pass through my shop. It inspired me to buy a bunch of new guitars this past 6 months including a Southern Jumbo that sounds better than the 1957. I love new guitars where the history will be entirely mine. I am not interested in someone else's history or problems. I just wish I had bought some of these sooner as the prices are quite high these days.

Did you read the posting? If you didn't understand that try adjusting your truss rod.

"$5999. All reasonable offers considered"

In my world, that means you're asking $5999, but will listen to offers. So, yes, the way I see it, you're asking $5999. If you will take less, you should post what you're willing to sell it for, rather than just quoting MSRP.

In my world, that means you're asking $5999, but will listen to offers. So, yes, the way I see it, you're asking $5999. If you will take less, you should post what you're willing to sell it for, rather than just quoting MSRP.

Go back to your world, stay out of mine please.

I bought a brand new one from E.M. Shorts for $2999.00.

Hmmm. So you keep revisiting this old thread with new updates and expect no response from the forum? Is this your personal journal, keeping track of your adventures? Are you saying we should pay no attention to your journey with this guitar? Lovely. Stop posting about it and we'll happily stay out of your world. Easy enough, huh.

What Buc said! Guff from a newb with an attitude problem is gonna get replies. Count on it. [biggrin]

What Buc said! Guff from a newb with an attitude problem is gonna get replies. Count on it. [biggrin]

A newbie? Attitude problem? Who do some of you guys think you are anyway? I dont need your replies, please by all means don't bother posting if all you are going to do is reprimand and try to correct me.

Hmmm. So you keep revisiting this old thread with new updates and expect no response from the forum? Is this your personal journal, keeping track of your adventures? Are you saying we should pay no attention to your journey with this guitar? Lovely. Stop posting about it and we'll happily stay out of your world. Easy enough, huh.

Please don't bother posting on my threads anymore. It is obvious what your motives are.

If you don't respect anyone else's opinions , or even be civil about it then why do YOU continue to post ?

A forum works because it lets people see a lot of point of views and decide themselves who is talking sense and who's not , so relax a little if people don't take your word as some sort of gospel .

if adding a weight to a headstock instantly improved the guitar then don't you think that the worlds leading guitar manufacturers would incorporate such a thing ?

You really think that they're letting their instruments out the door knowing they are only 90% ?

And weight to the headstock ? Wouldn't the players hand , arm , playing position dictating angle of fretboard etc all contribute making the whole thing immeasurable?

I'll continue to read your posts as I kind of respect what you're doing , I'm completely baffled as to why you're doing it

But it is interesting , I'll give you that

Just don't throw the toys out when you're questioned . Not doing yourself any favours

If you don't respect anyone else's opinions , or even be civil about it then why do YOU continue to post ?

A forum works because it lets people see a lot of point of views and decide themselves who is talking sense and who's not , so relax a little if people don't take your word as some sort of gospel .

if adding a weight to a headstock instantly improved the guitar then don't you think that the worlds leading guitar manufacturers would incorporate such a thing ?

You really think that they're letting their instruments out the door knowing they are only 90% ?

And weight to the headstock ? Wouldn't the players hand , arm , playing position dictating angle of fretboard etc all contribute making the whole thing immeasurable?

I'll continue to read your posts as I kind of respect what you're doing , I'm completely baffled as to why you're doing it

But it is interesting , I'll give you that

Just don't throw the toys out when you're questioned . Not doing yourself any favours

I know how Forums work, and it seems the same Troll like behavior appears all to frequently in all of them. I always listen to others peoples opinions if they are not insulting and they have something beneficial to the topic to offer. If you are referring to the Fatfinger from a previous post, I can declare that it does in fact work.

I know how Forums work, and it seems the same Troll like behavior appears all to frequently in all of them. I always listen to others peoples opinions if they are not insulting and they have something beneficial to the topic to offer. If you are referring to the Fatfinger from a previous post, I can declare that it does in fact work.

How can you qualify it working ?

That's what I don't get. With all due respect , how can you tell it's working ? And how come I clamp a capo and a tuner on there and nothing happens?

How can you qualify it working ?

That's what I don't get. With all due respect , how can you tell it's working ? And how come I clamp a capo and a tuner on there and nothing happens?

Aspen Pitman is a smart man. He invented it because he thought it made a difference. It does make a difference. It is just basic physics. All headstocks vibrate, I discovered that decades ago when my unplugged electric's headstock happened to touch a lampshade, it got really loud. This motion is wasted energy as the headstock vibrates back and forth. If you add mass this dampens that movement and more string energy gets transferred to the soundboard. I can hear it working, more volume and sustain every time.

Does it not make more sense that the headstock set the lampshade to vibrating, accounting for the apparent increase in volume? Press the top of the headstock of your un-amplified electric against a sheetrock wall in the house and you get the same effect - the headstock vibrations are transferred to the wall, making it an amplifier. I used one of Groove Tubes Fathead on a Stratocaster back in the day. Made the guitar head heavy and shortened the string posts. The only noticeable effect was perhaps a bit more sustain, no volume increase, and was certainly not worth the trade-offs. If this gadget had in fact made such major improvements in volume, sustain and tone it would not have gone the way of the Edsel, yes?

Good that you find value in such things, Pete, but just like everything else "guitar", your assessment of said value is certainly a personal one. Is it not to be expected that others don't see that value? Can you accept that fact? The quality of your experimentation with acoustics satisfies you and meets your standards to be gospel. Can you understand that different folks have different standards for such, and that yours are not acceptable to everyone? It does not seem out of line to me that others, myself included, try to shine our own light of personal truth on what you present as unassailable fact. Your truth is not necessarily true for everyone. Don't take offense at that.

Of course the headstock is vibrating and transferring that energy to the lamp shade. Of course! It is wasted energy. The FatFinger dampens this wasted energy and keeps more of it in the string to be transfered to the saddle, bridge and soundboard. The FatFinger works as described.

Archived