Gibson Brands Forums

quick question about tubes/valve amp and bias

saturn

I know when you replace tubes, the amp is supposed to be biased. Will it hurt the amp or tubes to replace one tube (or all of them) for just one night without having the bias adjusted?

I have a gig tonight, and one of my tubes in the Legacy is turning black on the inside. I have a new set of matched quads, but don't have time before the gig to have it set. I've been playing it as-is for several weeks, but can hear how it's not been sounding as good. Or I can just use my Roland Blues Cube for one night.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Edit: think I'm going to just use the Blues Cube until I can have the Carvin serviced.

If they're a matched quad of the same make that you currently have in there, you should be okay. Frankly as long as you are sticking with the same type of power tube you should be 'okay.' As long as you're not switching from el34s to 6l6's or anything the amp should be fine for the show.

Frankly as long as you are sticking with the same type of power tube you should be 'okay.' As long as you're not switching from el34s to 6l6's or anything the amp should be fine for the show.

I'm speaking from my own experince (I have three tube amps) unless it's cathode biased class A not necessarily. It wont hurt to "try" and it will probably get you thru the show, but it may not sound optimum.

two of my amps are not cathode biased, and one is.. that's the only one that doesn't need a re-biasing when the tubes are changed out.

Frankly as long as you are sticking with the same type of power tube you should be 'okay.' As long as you're not switching from el34s to 6l6's or anything the amp should be fine for the show.

I'm speaking from my own experince (I have three tube amps) unless it's cathode biased class A not necessarily. It wont hurt to "try" and it will probably get you thru the show, but it may not sound optimum.

Agreed, it would be 'okay' as in it wouldn't completely suck and the amp should be fine. [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

I must say that while you will almost certainly be fine I have, in the past, fitted valves in the power amp and found I can't get them anywhere near spec on biasing, needing to change a resistor value so saying it's fine isn't the whole story. There's a small chance it isn't fine. That's exactly why it's said that you should check.

Had I just pushed valves in and left it they would have been a failure.

Archived