Gibson Brands Forums

SRV on Gibson

kawazuki

I was sitting in a coin laundry on Grafenwoehr (a muddy Army training base in Germany) many years ago.

It must’ve been right around 1991 or so, not long after Stevie died.

I was in a communal coin-laundry facility, trying to get my flight suits and drawers clean.

I had just put my uniforms in the dryers, and was sitting there drawing in my notebook.

Anyway, the natives were restless.

The white soldiers were jaw-jacking and playing songs on the jukebox designed to irritate the black soldiers who were congregating in a small group on the other side of the dryers.

They were putting their coins in, and enjoying John Anderson, George Strait, Guns N Roses, etc.

The Brothers were retaliating with C+C Music Factory and MC Hammer.

Back and forth it went, and the Laundromat was alive with chatter and smack talk, and of course the tunes rumbling out of the tired jukebox speakers.

I came to realize that I had some extra quarters (my clothes were already in the home stretch), so I went over to the jukebox to see if there was anything on there worth investing-in.

Sure enough, there was some Stevie Ray Vaughn, and also Bowie’s China Girl. I inserted my quarter, made my selections, and return to my drawing.

A few songs later, Brother Stevie made it into the mix. I tell, you very SECOND that the opening guitar notes dropped into the room (like a wheelbarrow full of bricks), that crowd was locked in rapt attention.

The Sky is Cryin’ had them all, black and white, quiet as church mice.

No chatter, no bullsshitting, just pure silent, awesome reverence.

“Can you see the tears, roll down the street?”

For two and a half minutes, these guys let go of who they were, what their culture said was cool, and maybe even where they were.

It was powerful to be transported like that, and to watch the effect his music had on others.

So, does music like that move us to tears in and of itself, or does the fact that the artist died so young contribute to the emotion?

I wept on the day SRV died, not just because we lost his talent, but all the compelling music that he might have contributed in the future, and for that it truly WAS a tragedy.

[crying]

Archived