Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan gets the 2016 Nobel Price in literature

Lars68

OK.....I have ruminated for a 0.5 day....(see my earlier post)....

And I can now declare that Chez V is of one accord in congratulating his Bobness in the award of this not inconsiderable accolade.... [thumbup]

A true poet and musician who has inspired many other greats to work with him and/or cover his songs

Indeed the Great American Song Tradition has been spiced and re-invigorated like no other could have hoped to...by Bob Dylan

And IMO the time is right for it to happen....just when we all need a really interesting topic for discussion and valid excuse to revisit the huge back catalogue of said artist...

[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree completely with Mafly. While I would assume all here as musicians are happy to see this, it is hard to judge the works of poets and novelists in comparison to song writers. How do you compare "Blowin In The Wind". To "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" or "Catcher In The Rye" ? (Please excuse the American frame of reference, there are obviously seminal works from all other countries). My point is that "literature" is usually thought of as a work that provides more depth and insight to the human condition than can be hinted at in a twelve or sixteen line lyric. And, music being more in the mainstream, has many other award programs. It would be like awarding the Nobel Prize in Science to some guy who slapped together a slide show on Global Warming, while ignoring true scientific advances

What about Shakespeare's Sonnets or Baudelaire's Fleurs du mal? Two of the deepest, most insightful literary works in history: one of them made up entirely of 14-line lyrics; one with very few lyrics longer than 16 lines.

I don't think you can compare 'Blowin In The Wind' to Salinger; you might be able to compare it to Robert Frost, though. And in terms of the rhythmic effects of rapid-fire rhyme, you might be able to compare 'Like a Rolling Stone' with Sylvia Plath's 'Daddy'.

Think it must be remembered Van Gogh and fx P. Picasso wasn't comme il faut when they started showing their more wild pieces. But time caught up.

But at least Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole...

I believe Bob deserves this - but surely hope he isn't vain enough to take it too seriously. As said in my rhyme on the earlier page - They are a just line of clapping ants in comparison.

If he takes it as seriously as Christmas in the Heart, all should be well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

What about Shakespeare's Sonnets or Baudelaire's Fleurs du mal? Two of the deepest, most insightful literary works in history: one of them made up entirely of 14-line lyrics; one with very few lyrics longer than 16 lines.

I don't think you can compare 'Blowin In The Wind' to Salinger; you might be able to compare it to Robert Frost, though. And in terms of the rhythmic effects of rapid-fire rhyme, you might be able to compare 'Like a Rolling Stone' with Sylvia Plath's 'Daddy'.

Ha! I love it that under the pressure of defending Mr. Zimmerman's Nobel recognition, the true nature of a number of members of this forum has been exposed. And all this time we thought they were just plain old folks who liked to play Gibson guitars and talk music.

We knew about professors JT and tpbiii, but now we find others of an academic or serious literary bent lurking here.

Pardon me while I pull the hayseeds out of my hair. Don't think twice, it's alright.

This seems a popular topic here about.

For my thinking, it's the Nobel Prize for Literature. The Webster dictionary defines literature as the following:

: written works (such as poems, plays, and novels) that are considered to be very good and to have lasting importance

: books, articles, etc., about a particular subject

: printed materials (such as booklets, leaflets, and brochures) that provide information about something

It does not say lyrics. There is no debating the fact that his body of work is of the highest level of lyric writing and has had immeasurable influence throughout the world. If there was a Nobel Prize for Lyric or Songwriting, surely Dylan would have been awarded this many times over. But he is a songwriter and, by definition, this endeavor does not fall under the heading of literature, no matter how you slice it. If his catalog was presented to the world as poetry, the Prize for literature would be well deserved, but Dylan delivered his thinking as songs, as music, as lyrics.

No disrespect to his work, but Dylan is a lyricist and therefore outside the realm of literature. To me it's simply a matter of definition.

Ha! I love it that under the pressure of defending Mr. Zimmerman's Nobel recognition, the true nature of a number of members of this forum has been exposed. And all this time we thought they were just plain old folks who liked to play Gibson guitars and talk music.

We knew about professors JT and tpbiii, but now we find others of an academic or serious literary bent lurking here.

Pardon me while I pull the hayseeds out of my hair. Don't think twice, it's alright.

haha...don't be deceived by Mojo's cover as an itinerant wandering through Eastern Europe banging out work songs on his Woody Guthrie '45...the man is a Polymath!

I believe he wrote the haiku

Help me,I am trapped

In a haiku factory

Save me, before they

I am surprised that you know all of these, Mojorule are you french speaker?

En quelque sorte...

I would have thought 1st of Brassens.

As the most archetypal songwriter, I'd agree, but Brel grabs me more as a poet. I've been able to present Brel's lyrics to students as poetry without them suspecting they were songs. Not sure I could have done the same with 'Je me suis fait tout petit'; I love it, but it needs the e sonore at the end of so many lines to keep going, and that's pure chanson, not poetry. And we're forgetting Léo Ferré, who might well be the most poetic of them all.

In another (in french, sorry), Pierre Assouline from Goncourt Academy is really angry about it, so is the Irish writer Irvine Welsh.

Has Assouline written anything worthwhile? Irvine Welsh (nom ironique vu qu'il est en fait Écossais) is just plain wrong about this being a nostalgic decision: Dylan is the only major figure of the '60s that I can think of whose recent work has continued to move in different directions. Even if he is engaged on a fairly retro-sounding track, at least he's not just playing his greatest hits the whole time. Mind you, if Beigbeder comes out in favour of Dylan I might have to revise my opinion.

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind

Down the foggy ruins of time

Far past the frozen leaves

The haunted frightened trees

Out to the windy beach

Far from the twisted reach

of crazy sorrow

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky

With one hand waving free

Silhouetted by the sea

Circled by the circus sands

With all memory and fate

Driven deep beneath the waves

Let me forget about today until tomorrow

Thanks Gruntfuttle: I'd forgotten what is surely his most poetic moment.

Great news indeed. [thumbup]

It was always going to come but I'm glad he's still around to receive it while breathing - albeit late as this.

Enjoyed the thread..especially Mr Mojo's musings.

Much obliged, Flatters. Also for Brel on the ukelele the other week.

haha...don't be deceived by Mojo's cover as an itinerant wandering through Eastern Europe banging out work songs on his Woody Guthrie '45...the man is a Polymath!

I believe he wrote the haiku

Help me,I am trapped

In a haiku factory

Save me, before they

Goodbye Eastern Europe, howdy East Anglia!

Archived