Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Vintage & Dove Quilt

Buc McMaster

True confession: in this clip I too prefer the sound of the Dove. Big and open with a nice fullness to it. At the same time, I say again that the Hummingbird sounds its' best with old strings and in this demo it's wearing a 20-minute-old set. Older, drier strings give this one a character that well suits mahogany, while the maple Dove sounds its' best with newish strings. And overall I'd say the Dove is a better open chord strummer than the Hummingbird. Generally speaking I think the long scale maple is better at ringing out big open strings like this.

Didn't you have a d18 at one stage ?

Should've kept it !

Between the two, speaking of aesthetics in a visual regard - their individual plumage strikes me as natural and appropriate to their avian designations, as does the unique character of their voices.

Whow -

Really hope McMaster makes another A/B between these fliers. But with the same strings, , , , after they've somewhat died down.

I sincerely believe that would take us one step further toward a clean judgement. It could even be an idea to A/B the 2 A/B's in a new thread.

I am not saying I don't like an Hbird TV (I own a non torrified version)

But at least with new strings the Dove won the bout.

It would be interesting to hear how the guitars sound when the strings get a bit on dirt on them.

Also the fact that Buc's D is a Quilt adds some extra bass imho

JC

To build on Bucs video, here is a comaprisement, althought its a Hummingbird standard vs Hummingbird maple.

I think is a really good side by side shootout and makes me like the maple version even more and more. I like a lot the necatr tone of the HB standard but really love the warmth and clarity of the maple version.

I would love to play a HB maple and Dove side by side, i want to buy one of thos those but not sure which one - right now im leaning towards the HB maple due to the warmth, short scale playability and clarity of the tone.

Starts at 3.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7-iJ2msS8

To build on Bucs video, here is a comaprisement, althought its a Hummingbird standard vs Hummingbird maple.

I think is a really good side by side shootout and makes me like the maple version even more and more. I like a lot the necatr tone of the HB standard but really love the warmth and clarity of the maple version.

Starts at 3.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7-iJ2msS8

A good video, as well, and popping in just before the 3 min mark allows a rare opportunity to watch the a/b without pre-judging which is/should-be the maple or mahogany- the lighting is such that it's not easy to look into the soundhole & see which is which. Then, by going to the beginning of the video, it's possible to hear the reviewer introduce each guitar, as to which is the maple, and which is the mahogany.

Also- the video in EA's link could possibly suggest what effect scale length comes into play on Buc's Hummingbird/Dove comparo.

Archived