Gibson Brands Forums

4 piece Adi top, 2 piece Sitka top. Both with Hog back and sides...Which do you prefer ?

gotomsdos

Hi, old buddies !

Come again I digging...

Is it that a Banner J-45 with 4 piece Adi top(almost impossible to find out it's 4 piece) has less market value than that with 2 piece Sitka top ? [given other condition including sound is the same...]

OR in other words, Are there any drawbacks that 4 piece top probably have ? even any tonal difference ?

Any input would be much appreciated...

Assuming their condition is fairly equal, I'd go with the one that sounds best and plays easiest. The playability would be what was most important, providing it at least sounds decent. The Adi top would be a factor if it sounded like an Adi to me. Sounds like you've got two good instruments to pick from.

If that was all I had to go on, and I could not play before buying, and differences in condition or price was not a factor, then I would simply go for the one with the cosmetic appearance which appealed to me the most.

Are you close?!?

Lars

If that was all I had to go on, and I could not play before buying, and differences in condition or price was not a factor, then I would simply go for the one with the cosmetic appearance which appealed to me the most.

Are you close?!?

Lars

Thank you Lars !

Thread refreshed.

If you for some reason you thought it made a difference in value, you would have to be able to prove one was adi, and the other sitka. That isn't always as easy as it sounds. You cannot determine spruce wood species just by grain width or color. I've got one guitar whose specifications say adi, but whose grain looks like sitka. I've seen plenty of Gibsons from the 1950's, when tops were almost always sitka, but the wood grain looks just like adi.

You may or may not hear sonic differences between a two-piece and a four-piece top. Guitars are individuals made up of a lot of different parts that all go together to create a unique instrument.

I'd go with Lars on this assuming the condition, playability, and tone were equivalent.

When you're buying a banner Gibson, you're buying a piece of history, not just a guitar. History has a lot of rough edges.

Goto, believe me, I do understand your desire for as much information as you can collect before purchasing remotely. But with the Banners, I just think that the questions you're asking won't yield the sort of info you want.

You really need Tom Barnwell and John Thomas to weigh in here, because they are the only ones here who have played a wide enough sample even to begin to evaluate any differences that the features mentioned might make. They will be able to give you some more info, but I really doubt whether it will answer your question about market value. You're effectively asking whether the tooth of a white hen is worth more than the tooth of a brown hen.

I think getting a sense of the sellers' reputations is more important, and being certain of the condition of the instrument. Since you can't play them before buying, ask the sellers for a sound sample and pick the one you like more.

There's no difference in market value or sound between the two and four piece topped Banners.

I prefer the four piece tops because they are physical reminders of Gibson's struggles with wartime material restrictions.

Here's my BAnner SJ with four piece Adi top:

13510998_10206450698599587_7359468038602627839_n.jpg?oh=f21ac0a19fe0330a5e1ecc7f891ebd76&oe=591B701A

It's the guitar that T Bone Burnett chose to use to premier a new song at last fall's Fretboard Summit:

14720367_10207180557965615_4586099946232740655_n.jpg?oh=342af0f5d3ac6d0b2c4e8b61864023c8&oe=58DF8380

There's no difference in market value or sound between the two and four piece topped Banners.

I prefer the four piece tops because they are physical reminders of Gibson's struggles with wartime material restrictions.

13510998_10206450698599587_7359468038602627839_n.jpg?oh=f21ac0a19fe0330a5e1ecc7f891ebd76&oe=591B701A

It's the guitar that T Bone Burnett chose to use to premier a new song at last fall's Fretboard Summit:

That SJ is one of the most stunning guitars I have ever seen. I wish Gibson has chosen to make a replica of it, with or without the four-piece top (but preferably with a trussrod). It is a near-perfect representative of the type.

That SJ is one of the most stunning guitars I have ever seen. I wish Gibson has chosen to make a replica of it, with or without the four-piece top (but preferably with a trussrod). It is a near-perfect representative of the type.

Gibson did produce replicas of my guitar (though, they weren't precise copies). 50, so far as I know, but In know little more than that it took about 10 months from me to get my guitar back from Montana.

A virtual side-by-side photo:

1943GibsonSJsReplicaandOriginal_zps251f2662.jpg

Gibson did produce replicas of my guitar (though, they weren't precise copies). 50, so far as I know, but In know little more than that it took about 10 months from me to get my guitar back from Montana.

A virtual side-by-side photo:

1943GibsonSJsReplicaandOriginal_zps251f2662.jpg

Yeah, but the different binding and the 20-fret board bug the heck out of me. I will keep my eyes open for one of those. I would probably give up my Fuller's 1943 SJ for that one, depending on the neck profile.

Maybe it's the slight difference in camera angle, but it looks like the back brace in the repro model is in a different location.

14720367_10207180557965615_4586099946232740655_n.jpg?oh=342af0f5d3ac6d0b2c4e8b61864023c8&oe=58DF8380

Thank you John and all !

Is this SJ played by you on youtube ? just only one SJ you have ?

Goto, believe me, I do understand your desire for as much information as you can collect before purchasing remotely. But with the Banners, I just think that the questions you're asking won't yield the sort of info you want.

You really need Tom Barnwell and John Thomas to weigh in here, because they are the only ones here who have played a wide enough sample even to begin to evaluate any differences that the features mentioned might make. They will be able to give you some more info, but I really doubt whether it will answer your question about market value. You're effectively asking whether the tooth of a white hen is worth more than the tooth of a brown hen.

I think getting a sense of the sellers' reputations is more important, and being certain of the condition of the instrument. Since you can't play them before buying, ask the sellers for a sound sample and pick the one you like more.

Thank you Mojorule !

Yep, you said it. I hope hear a bit more guys' opinion.

I'm really not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, and I'm a huge fan of any project that T Bone involves himself with, but he has to have the perfect hands for playing the guitar. I mean, look at his pinkie finger alone using the pick guard for scale! Beautiful guitars too but the guy must have a seven fret reach.

Yeah, but the different binding and the 20-fret board bug the heck out of me. I will keep my eyes open for one of those. I would probably give up my Fuller's 1943 SJ for that one, depending on the neck profile.

Maybe it's the slight difference in camera angle, but it looks like the back brace in the repro model is in a different location.

And the angle of the logo is wrong...

I'm really not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, and I'm a huge fan of any project that T Bone involves himself with, but he has to have the perfect hands for playing the guitar. I mean, look at his pinkie finger alone using the pick guard for scale! Beautiful guitars too but the guy must have a seven fret reach.

He is a rather large specimen, but he's got great taste in literature:

14702368_10207183455678056_9220067090320129828_n.jpg?oh=52672c187d38450dcbb79c132e97f350&oe=58D9E678

Gotomsdos,

I've got two Banner SJs, this minty one and a battered one that a soldier took to WWII. Here they both are, with my friend Ian playing the minty SJ with four-piece top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwdAUaUfXfU

John, fabulous gig !

Seems your beatup SJ accompanies Ian's singing while Ian' SJ playing accompanies your SJ playing. haha...

What an Ian's magnetic and lyric throat and your acoustic solo skill & feeling !

Archived