Gibson Brands Forums

Best Model Year for a Sheryl Crow Country Western

seamonkey

Hi. I have gotten a bug for a 50s J50, but prices are really high, and somehow it's lead me to the Sheryl Crow Country Western. Is there much difference between the different model years. I've seen a 2000, a 2004, and a 2008 online...Any thoughts? Thanks, Rick

Apart from a small number featuring the old fashioned adjustable bridge/saddle concept*, no.

Every CW I've seen since the S.C.'s revived the model around the millennium, have been remarkable similar.

As we know they change a little from ex to ex, but that's about voice, response, bass and overall personality.

Good guitars ^

*still on the website

I bought mine for $1900 from Mandolin Brothers six years ago. I sold it three years ago I think... for about the same...perhaps a few hundred more.

I think $2,000 is spot on fair, where neither side gets the "better"

Thanks! Did yours have electronics?

I don't really understand the logic of questions like these. Unless there were significant design/specification changes at a certain point (like the 2016 Vintage models of the Hummingbird, J-45 and J-200 for example) then it is always a case by case assessment, surely.

In fact it's always on a case by case basis. Who hasn't played great and poor examples of the same model from the same year?

Am I missing something?

I don't really understand the logic of questions like these. Unless there were significant design/specification changes at a certain point (like the 2016 Vintage models of the Hummingbird, J-45 and J-200 for example) then it is always a case by case assessment, surely.

In fact it's always on a case by case basis. Who hasn't played great and poor examples of the same model from the same year?

Am I missing something?

Is this comment for my reply? [scared]

Nope, it was addressing the original post. :-)

Ooops sorry mate! I didn't mean to ask an anal question that all of us hear and read from time to time when asking for an honest tips and ideas. [thumbup]

I guess the OP could be taken with a grain of salt with a splash of humour, specially here where I've noticed quite a few if not lots of die hard Gibson acoustic followers/players alike. :-({|=

Trans

Without starting a drama, I can see the logic in asking if a model that has been in production for 18 years have differences more or less hidden from the blue eye.

Especially if suddenly feeling attracted to the particular guitar.

Isn't that central Forum material ?

Without starting a drama, I can see the logic in asking if a model that have been in production for 18 years have differences more or less hidden from the blue eye.

Especially if suddenly feeling attracted to the particular guitar.

Isn't that central Forum material ?

Absolutely. Obsessing over guitars is the reason for guitar forums. :-)

Wasn't trying to be controversial or to insult the OP. It's just that acoustic guitars in particular are such organic individuals that I would personally find it impossible to think I could generalize about a particular year of production for examples of the same model.

Between DIFFERENT models or guitar makers, sure.

Thanks for everyone's help. I can think of a few examples when one model year might be preferred over another. If I were able to play things in person, it would be different, but that's not always possible, so thanks, all, for being patient. I was going to ask if anyone knew anything about 1997, J50s in particular, but ...

Apart from a small number featuring the old fashioned adjustable bridge/saddle concept*, no.

Every CW I've seen since the S.C.'s revived the model around the millennium, have been remarkable similar.

As we know they change a little from ex to ex, but that's about voice, response, bass and overall personality.

Thanks!

Good guitars ^

*still on the website

Archived