Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar for complement my GIbsons

Desolationrow

Hi Gibson guys! I need help of the forum.

Actually i have 3 Gibsons:J45,Bird and J200(All standards versions, no money for vintage/true vintage versions). What guitar complements well with these? Other Gibson? A dove, or Aj or L -00 perhaps?A rosewood Martin? i am a strummer, singer songwriter,use the guitar for complement my voice. Thanks for the answers.

I wouldn't be so bold as to recommend a particular guitar, since that's like telling someone which flavor of ice cream they should eat. But, I can tell you about why I like my fave flavors. My two "main" guitars are a J-45 Vintage and a Martin HD-28VS. The Martin is a loud 12 fret dread with a big bottom end, nice ringing rosewood, and that Martin tone. Unless I play it with a very light touch - which I am not so good at doing - it's a real "in your face" guitar. They're very different flavors, and I favor one vs. the other depending on the song I'm playing. At home, the guitar I have out definitely has an impact on what I choose to play. When playing out, I take both and choose one over the other depending on the particular song. All that said, it probably makes almost no difference to almost everyone in the world.

With your J-45, hummingbird, and J-200, it seems you have mahogany and maple well covered, all with the same tonal coloring. A Rosewood body guitar would be a nice addition. If you want to stay with the slope shoulder Gibson, AJ is the one. You state you are a strummer, so try out the Martin HD-28V. I prefer that over the D-28 or HD-28 because the bracing on the HD-28V is forward shifted. It sounded better to me. Good luck.

Archived