Gibson Brands Forums

I done did it

Dub-T-123

Looking good! [thumbup]

Thanks matey!

Nice job! I like the Towner bar mount. Definitely puts the Bigsby back where it belongs. [thumbup] If I decide to get rid of my Gretsch I may end up doing this.

Thanks Pup. No joke, the installation couldn't have taken more than 2 minutes. The Towner hardware is great. The way they utilized the stopbar studs make for a clean looking and nicely functional setup

I've had the bar on the rctRW now for about six months. That's six months longer than the previous 46 years of guitar playing. It's...ok. I had Floyds in the 80's and hated them too. Not so much the tuning issues, they don't bother me at all, it's the habit, lots of people just punctuate with it all the time. I use it for the band and the material, but I could do Blackmore and Hendrix and Trower without it just fine like I used to. We were doing some Halen and I enjoyed having it, but we kinda dropped them songs.

rct

It's harder to do Setzer sans Bigsby, though, no?

Still trying to work out what Roy Clark was using on 'Funnel of Love'. Really just his fingers?

3845E8FA-EECB-4729-9311-1D9E48BC00AC_zpscqy5shrj.jpg

Slapped a B3 on the SG. Where you at EVOL?

Sorry I am late to the party.

Whoa, that is killer! Although the B3 and B7 are technically no the right Bigsby for an SG, I think they look sexier than the B5. So, the pressure from the strings and tension bar are enough to keep the Bigsby straight? I love this as a solution.

I recommend this setup over the vibramate that Kidblast suggested for a couple reasons..

The vibramate/B5 combination puts the Bigsby too close to the bridge and you can't adjust the break angle of the strings. With this setup the Bigsby is at a more proper position, and the down tension bar allows to get as much or as little of a break angle as you want. So tuning can be more stable with this setup IMO

Thank you for saying this. It is spot on.

Sorry I am late to the party.

Whoa, that is killer! Although the B3 and B7 are technically no the right Bigsby for an SG, I think they look sexier than the B5. So, the pressure from the strings and tension bar are enough to keep the Bigsby straight? I love this as a solution.

Sup J?!

Yeah the Bigsby is straight as an arrow and totally solid. It is super firmly held in place, it doesn't move at all. The whole setup works perfectly!

The vibramate/B5 combination puts the Bigsby too close to the bridge and you can't adjust the break angle of the strings. With this setup the Bigsby is at a more proper position, and the down tension bar allows to get as much or as little of a break angle as you want. So tuning can be more stable with this setup IMO

that's a real good point for sure.

Agree the B5 sets it off the stop bar studs which is very close to the ABR.

Yet the Vibramat's great sale point, allows for adding these with no modifications.

I added a V7/B7 to my 95 LP a few years ago, it was a piece of cake.

I added a V7 to my ES135 too quite some time ago. But that one, I installed as a modification, also easy, but drilling for the install was required.

I also have two others with factory installed B7s, (My Chet Atkins and my Swingster)

I've been very pleased with the operational aspects of the bigsby in all of these. for what they do, when used properly, they work nicely!

and, yes LOVE the look of your SG with the B3... killer!

Archived