Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Waterloo!

sbpark

I played a couple of the WL-K last weekend, but the regular one and one had a desert scene painted on it. In all honesty I thought that was the model that would be going home with me, but I just seemed to prefer the 14 fret Waterloos over the 12 fretters. The big surprise was the Jumbo King. I may have to pick one of those up at some point.

Wound up sending the WL-K back. I suspected the tone wasn't going to be what I hoped but had to fork over shipping both ways to satisfy my curiosity. You live and learn!

I think a great deal of the enthusiasm for Collins Waterloo is both the fact that it is a fine guitar but also small bodied guitar. Martin has been making the 00028 for years and Gibson made ( past tense as they have stopped production)the CJ165 which is a small bodied J200.

I played a J45 for years until I got hold of a CJ165 and never looked back.

Jannus, what was it about the Waterloo you didn't like? I'm intrigued by them, having played and loved a good few Kalamazoo KG14s over the years I'd love to hear Collings' take on 'em.

I'm curious as well to hear what he didnt like about it. I will admit it's not really an "all-arounder" type of guitar, but it does occupy a space that that my other guitars can't fill. I don't play it all the time, but when I have the urge for "that" type of sound, I reach for it. Fun little guitar for sure, and after I strung it up with some Martin Retros it's even better. I guess I'm primarily a dread guy since my two favorite guitars are my AJ and HD-28, and have always though tit's better to play a loud guitar soft then try to attempt to squeeze out more from a small body guitar even though it may not be capable of it, but it's all about the right tool for the job I guess.

As far as the WL-K, as mentioned, I really did want to take this one home, but I found that little 12-fretter to be too muddy in the low end, which is why I went for the 14-fret WL-K. I figured over time it would break in and get warmer sounding. The WL-K is pretty even sounding, while I just didnt like the low end muddiness of the WL-K. could just be the one I played though.

Archived