Gibson Brands Forums

Earvana "compensated" guitar nut

Pesh

Hi all.

After the Birmingham guitar show last week, where I tried a guitar that had something called an Earvana compensated nut; I've been doing some research into them.

The premise seems sound and I am tempted to trial one, but wanted to ask if any of you forumites have some experience with them - good or bad.

In 46 years of guitaring I have never owned a guitar that couldn't be intonated correctly, therefore, I don't know what Earvana, Feiten, or any of the other "revolutionary" ways of nutting/bridging a guitar are for.

rct

some folks are extremely sensitive to tuning. if a tuned, intonated guitar makes you cringe, you need it. if it doesn't, you don't need it.

Very well put.

I read about the Buzz Feiten nut (expensive) and think it said you can't do unison bends if you have one. :-k

some folks are extremely sensitive to tuning. if a tuned, intonated guitar makes you cringe, you need it. if it doesn't, you don't need it.

If a tuned, intonated guitar makes you cringe, I suggest golf.

rct

I haven't tried any compensated nuts, but I have recently tried the compensated tuning that James Taylor and some others use. It seems to help compensate for notes going sharp due to finger pressure - especially if you have a heavy touch. In fact my Peterson Strobo clip has a couple of "sweetened" tunings built in so you don't even have to remember the cents off.

Here's the tuning if you anyone is interested...

E: -12 cents

A: -10

D: -8

G: -4

B: -6

E: -3

Cool; thanks all - the feedback is appreciated and valued as always. It was a passing thought so I thought I'd ask the question; not that fussy about current setups, so I shall continue on for now. Maybe if I have something with a crappy nut down the line I shall try one of these, but at the moment everything is on either TUSQ or bone.

Archived