Gibson Brands Forums

Elixir POLYweb...

Murph

I guess, months ago, I accidently got a 3 pack of Acoustic POLYwebs from Sweetwater. I usually get NANOweb. They were like, buy 2 get one free and I guess I clicked the wrong place, so they just ended up in one of the string drawers.

Yesterday I put a set on my daughters Epiphone EJ200ce because hers were real bad and she doesn't play much lately, so I figured they'll last forever....

Anyhow, they weren't as thick of a coating as I imagined, and actually felt and sounded "okay" for that guitar. I'm sure I'd never put them on my J-45, but for a wall hanging guitar (like my electrics.....) that doesn't get used much they might be a good idea.

A wall hanger would be a good application for Elixirs. Or a campfire guitar. Or any guitar you don’t want to change strings on too often (a slot head, or a 12 string). Or one that’s a tad on the bright side of things (Taylor, which have Elixirs as standard equipment). Hopefully, the “accidental purchase” of your Polys were lights, or custom lights. A good thing that the Polywebs only seem to be available as 80/20’s; they don’t need to tone things down any further with PB.

Elixirs don’t get much love; the forum’s mad scientist Capmaster can put the fear of God in you with health analogies akin to licking a chipped and scraped Teflon frying pan, but as a result of their longevity, the galling that occurs on the bridge plate every time a new set of ball ends get seated up against the ‘plate happens at a much reduced rate.

Elixirs don’t get much love; the forum’s mad scientist Capmaster can put the fear of God in you with health analogies akin to licking a chipped and scraped Teflon frying pan,

Say what?

I've used the Nano's for years.....

I tell you one thing.

If, after decades of alcohol and cigarettes, I finally clean up and get my act together only to be murdered by guitar strings.

That's gonna really pi$$ me off.....

[cursing]

I've got a set of Nanoweb 13s on my Texan, tuned down to Eb, which just keep on taking the punishment. Been on there for ages and have seen plenty of gigs, they're all pitted and ridged but still sound fine. Polywebs are old-school but sounded okay on overly bright guitars as I recall to dull them down a bit, until they went fluffy.

The best coated wires for my money? Martin Lifespan SPs. I've got a set on my Dove that have been on there for close on a year and still sound great. I don't gig the Dove much but it's done several festival shows, tons of rehearsals and writing jags, have filmed a TV spot and recorded an album all on ONE SET of Lifespan SPs. They've been on there so long that I can't remember if they were 80/20s or PBs!

I've just ordered a set of Cleartone Bluegrass gauge 12-56s for my '41 Reissue SJ200, looking forward to seeing how they fare.

I've got a set of Nanoweb 13s on my Texan, tuned down to Eb, which just keep on taking the punishment. Been on there for ages and have seen plenty of gigs, they're all pitted and ridged but still sound fine. Polywebs are old-school but sounded okay on overly bright guitars as I recall to dull them down a bit, until they went fluffy.

The best coated wires for my money? Martin Lifespan SPs. I've got a set on my Dove that have been on there for close on a year and still sound great. I don't gig the Dove much but it's done several festival shows, tons of rehearsals and writing jags, have filmed a TV spot and recorded an album all on ONE SET of Lifespan SPs. They've been on there so long that I can't remember if they were 80/20s or PBs!

I've just ordered a set of Cleartone Bluegrass gauge 12-56s for my '41 Reissue SJ200, looking forward to seeing how they fare.

What was the TV spot jinder ?

What was the TV spot jinder ?

I auditioned for The Voice...after spending eight years on major labels and seeing the full horror of the talent show industry behind the scenes, I ended up auditioning to settle a bet. I didn't make it past the first round (thankfully!), I was told that whilst I was "in the top five" singers they'd seen in the London auditions, I was "too old to make an impression as a mainstream act without a novelty angle".

So much for it all being about "the voice" 😂 But, to be fair, I went in with both eyes wide open...

Archived