Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Rosewood

BigDawg007

I left the Tusq nut and saddle and changed the bridge pins to some Abalone Fossilized Walrus Ivory. The main difference I noticed was in the sustain. The tone may be a bit brighter. They look pretty good I think.

Anyone on here done something similar?

Thanks

Big Dawg

post-76964-029781700 1502159407_thumb.png

I left the Tusq nut and saddle and changed the bridge pins to some Abalone Fossilized Walrus Ivory. The main difference I noticed was in the sustain. The tone may be a bit brighter. They look pretty good I think.

Anyone on here done something similar?

My RAVS Masterbilt came with fossilized walrus ivory pins and saddle. It's got great tone! msp_thumbup.gif

rav221.jpg

I remain among the ignorant masses as in 50+ years I have never been able to figure out how the object holding a string into the bridge can make a lick of difference and can be any better than unslotted hard plastic pins. Liking the way a particular bridge pin looks is the only reason to use them.

I remain among the ignorant masses as in 50+ years I have never been able to figure out how the object holding a string into the bridge can make a lick of difference and can be any better than unslotted hard plastic pins. Liking the way a particular bridge pin looks is the only reason to use them.

I confess I have to agree. Although I've replaced all of my pins for that reason (cosmetics) - I also have replaced the saddles with bone. My rationale is that tusq. is not a 'natural' material like wood. Then, I fell in love with Tusq plectrums!

I confess I have to agree. Although I've replaced all of my pins for that reason (cosmetics) - I also have replaced the saddles with bone. My rationale is that tusq. is not a 'natural' material like wood. Then, I fell in love with Tusq plectrums!

Now there's another fun area! The connection between picker and pick is way personal. I usually carry a spare or two for my own use and another one or two that I can lend or give to someone if they're in need, but the loaners are NEVER what I use😄

Archived