Gibson Brands Forums

Arthritis Help

dustymars

Notes and gang: I had traumatic bursitis for a year that refused to improve. I went on what was effectively the diet mr. Norton relays above for a month, and it went away.

I went back on glucose after glucose withdrawal started to induce dementia-like symptoms (it passes once you're over the hump), but the bursitis was gone for good.

And I'm a SKEPTIC, believe you me! I believe any remedy that's not from Big Pharma was invented by hippies whose acid use has rendered them psychotic, and I believe that with less tongue in cheek than what's culturally acceptable these days.

I'm with Notes. Try it.

Notes, I started on the Atkin's Diet and long walks back in 1998 because I was just getting fat and lazy. Blood test showed I was high this and that; all not good. I lost 65 lbs and got up to 2-3 miles walking. I did this off and on until around 2005, after retiring in 2001, then my knees began to hurt until I was near to using a wheelchair; in 2009 had both replaced. Anyway, I had to stop that diet and since then arthritis is bad. Your diet sounds similar to Atkin’s and I may just go back to a modified Atkins or your diet to see it is works again.

I did not mean it was the same at Atkin's. Getting old does strange things to the brain logic :)

Notes, I started on the Atkin's Diet and long walks back in 1998 because I was just getting fat and lazy. Blood test showed I was high this and that; all not good. I lost 65 lbs and got up to 2-3 miles walking. I did this off and on until around 2005, after retiring in 2001, then my knees began to hurt until I was near to using a wheelchair; in 2009 had both replaced. Anyway, I had to stop that diet and since then arthritis is bad. Your diet sounds similar to Atkin’s and I may just go back to a modified Atkins or your diet to see it is works again.

I did not mean it was the same at Atkin's. Getting old does strange things to the brain logic :)

Some similarities, but not like Atkins.

You are not limited in your carbs, like Atkins, you just need to eat low glycemic carbs (carbs that don't turn into sugar quickly) and avoid other inflammatory foods.

I went on the diet in 2005, I couldn't walk 2 blocks without sitting. Now I walk 4 miles every day that I'm not gigging. I've been on the diet ever since, my blood work is excellent, the doc says my heart and circulatory system is like someone 20 years younger than my age, and I don't get sick - I don't even catch colds or flu.

I thought I was going to need a hip replacement before the diet, now the hip feels fine, and it's my hip.

Notes

1516894049[/url]' post='1912409']

Try the diet. What do you have to lose?

Give it a month, and see if you aren't pain free.

Notes

Last year the doctor put me on the Mediterranean diet and I lost 30 pounds in a month or just over. Actually I felt much better and had more energy and not breathing so hard. Everything you mentioned on both sides I eat except fish. I can't stand fish. However all the things on the right side I eat more except Chicken and turkey, the rest on the left I eat in moderation. We do Bison over grass fed beef. Although both are much better for you and taste much better. Hmmm, nothing on the left side Huh? Wonder if it will help my fingers? I have 4 fingers that are curled in and down a bit with big bumps on top that are hard.

Last year the doctor put me on the Mediterranean diet and I lost 30 pounds in a month or just over. Actually I felt much better and had more energy and not breathing so hard. Everything you mentioned on both sides I eat except fish. I can't stand fish. However all the things on the right side I eat more except Chicken and turkey, the rest on the left I eat in moderation. We do Bison over grass fed beef. Although both are much better for you and taste much better. Hmmm, nothing on the left side Huh? Wonder if it will help my fingers? I have 4 fingers that are curled in and down a bit with big bumps on top that are hard.

Chicken, turkey, and egg yolks are trigger foods for myself and my wife. Very high in arachidonic acid. I don't know your condition, but if it were me I'd give it a try.

I'll eat chicken a couple of times per year. Mostly if eating at a friend's house (it's difficult to demand a diet when a friend is feeding me). If I eat chicken two or three days in a row, like I did while staying at a relative's house, my injured finger that developed arthritis began to pain me and swell and my hip will start aching if I drive a long distance. Back on the diet and I'm pain free again.

I'd try giving up the fowl and egg yolks and see if it doesn't make a difference. But like I said, I don't know your condition.

I'm a very picky eater, so it doesn't leave me with much variety in my diet. But to be able to walk, drive, and play music without pain, it's well worth it. I'm Italian-American and I gave up macaroni, which was a sacrifice, but it's worth it. No more apples (high glycemic) but melons and berries are fine. No fruit juices or sugar laden soft drinks - after a while I don't miss them any more. Nothing with trans-fats, but I avoided them anyway. On the other hand I do get to eat 85% dark chocolate, grass-fed beef, pizza on millet and flax lavash 'crusts' (low glycemic), nuts and cheese too.

And I have my own hip. When you get that joint replacement, remember in 10 or so years, when you are older and not so easy to heal, you are going to need it done again.

Most of the prescription and non-prescription pain relievers have some side effects, many of which compromise your health in other areas.

I'm on zero prescription medications, and for a person my age, that puts me in the top 1%. I think the anti-inflammatory diet has a lot to do with that.

IMO if you can fix anything with diet, it's a better way.

The diet the doctor suggested is anti-inflammatory and should help most of us not only with arthritis/bursitis but other inflammatory conditions as well.

Of course I'm not qualified to give medical advice, I'm just relaying the advice given to me.

But everybody I recommended the diet to and who has followed it has had great results. Of course YMMV. If you have any serious health concerns, I'd check with your doctor to see if there is anything you shouldn't eat on that diet.

Notes

1517068099[/url]' post='1912926']

Chicken, turkey, and egg yolks are trigger foods for myself and my wife. Very high in arachidonic acid. I don't know your condition, but if it were me I'd give it a try.

I'll eat chicken a couple of times per year. Mostly if eating at a friend's house (it's difficult to demand a diet when a friend is feeding me). If I eat chicken two or three days in a row, like I did while staying at a relative's house, my injured finger that developed arthritis began to pain me and swell and my hip will start aching if I drive a long distance. Back on the diet and I'm pain free again.

I'd try giving up the fowl and egg yolks and see if it doesn't make a difference. But like I said, I don't know your condition.

I'm a very picky eater, so it doesn't leave me with much variety in my diet. But to be able to walk, drive, and play music without pain, it's well worth it. I'm Italian-American and I gave up macaroni, which was a sacrifice, but it's worth it. No more apples (high glycemic) but melons and berries are fine. No fruit juices or sugar laden soft drinks - after a while I don't miss them any more. Nothing with trans-fats, but I avoided them anyway. On the other hand I do get to eat 85% dark chocolate, grass-fed beef, pizza on millet and flax lavash 'crusts' (low glycemic), nuts and cheese too.

And I have my own hip. When you get that joint replacement, remember in 10 or so years, when you are older and not so easy to heal, you are going to need it done again.

Most of the prescription and non-prescription pain relievers have some side effects, many of which compromise your health in other areas.

I'm on zero prescription medications, and for a person my age, that puts me in the top 1%. I think the anti-inflammatory diet has a lot to do with that.

IMO if you can fix anything with diet, it's a better way.

The diet the doctor suggested is anti-inflammatory and should help most of us not only with arthritis/bursitis but other inflammatory conditions as well.

Of course I'm not qualified to give medical advice, I'm just relaying the advice given to me.

But everybody I recommended the diet to and who has followed it has had great results. Of course YMMV. If you have any serious health concerns, I'd check with your doctor to see if there is anything you shouldn't eat on that diet.

Notes

msp_thumbup.gif I agree, if you can fix something with diet, it's best! I love pretty much all American, Italian and Mexican foods. I already sacrificed the Mexican foods and most Italian foods. Cut soda completely and all sugars. I do mostly vegetables and salads. Turkey though is my favorite. Only get it about once a month or so. Deb told me I need to play the guitar a lot more because one day I won't be able to play it anymore. Told her I'd love to but stopped playing so much when she's around, thought I was bugging her with my playing and practicing over and over again. S he said, "No, you don't bother me so that was encouraging." Thanks Notes for the information.

Archived