Gibson Brands Forums

Arthritis Help

dustymars

I have arthritis so playing a guitar is very painful and my fret hand gets immobile at times. So, I stopped playing after 65 years. So, while watching an old Les Paul video he had a hot wax machine he used before playing, so I found a small one on eBay and have been using it So far t is working like a charm and I may get the old axe out and see if I can still play it. (Relaxing Thermal Therapy Quick Heat Paraffin Bath Wax Spa For Hands Pedicure Tub) was inexpensive and seems to be working. Anyone else here use something like this?

post-35435-088483000 1516211302_thumb.jpg

I just came back at the end of the summer from WA state where ya know green stuff is legal. They have cream there with said active ingredients form the green stuff, and my friend who had arthritis said it worked and his hand were pain free for a while after rubbing it on.

While I have been known to sip a little Moonshine, and other adult beverages, pot was never attractive to me. The only pal I have, that is still above room temperature, has had so many operations that he looks like walking cadaver after an autopsy. He did pot, powder almost everything else, except the needle or meth, and his health took a big dive because of it. Yeah, some people think it is okay, but remember, you are what you out into your body. [thumbup]

I've recently been getting pain and tenderness in my fretting hand index finger large knuckle, which I can only venture is arthritis, which pairs up nicely with the carpal tunnel I have in both wrists... when this flares up bar chords are not pleasant. I found a cream called Australians Dream at the pharmacy. 30 bucks for a tube about the size of a toothpaste container. It does seem to help. getting old is for the birds.

I had a bad scare about 5 years ago....carrying shopping bags from shop to car in cold weather....my fret thumb and forefinger locked in a

spasm which took a week of nurturing and gradual flexing to get back working.....:blink:

Major rescheduling of practice and gig durations

Gloves worn every whiff of cold weather

Personally very anti pain killers and such

My doctor's prescribed Ibuprofen cream remains unopened.....[thumbup]

Menthol 'Deep Heat' cream can effectively warm the hand tissues

V

:-({|=

My thumbs can be agonising! Trying to work on a farm is very difficult when you can’t grip things without pain!

I’ve had it for years and I‘m sorry to tell you, it only gets worse!

A good mate of mine put me onto Turmeric, the culinary spice and I’ve been singing it’s praises in these places for years. Turmeric is a very powerful natural anti inflammatory that if taken in measured doses does only good and is no threat to your kidneys unlike modern anti inflammatories which long term are a real threat to your body. If you want a reassurance, there are 1.2 billion Indians eating it every day...grin~

Here’s the deal! I buy raw turmeric powder for about $5 in the health food store, I know it’s fresh there and that gives the best results. I also buy gelatin capsules for just over $20 for a couple hundred from the same place or a chemist and I can make up hundreds of capsules myself, much fresher and cheaper than buying them off the shelf! Now if you aren’t used to spicy foods then start of with one capsule twice a day and after a couple of weeks move to 2 twice a day if you need extra relief.You can overdose even with natural remedies!

It can take a few weeks (2 to 3) before the full benefits are felt but in my case after 3 weeks I was able to sleep properly again because my thumbs had no pain when I slept on my hands, which I normally do. It also helped with lower back pain as after a few years arthritis had developed in there too and the tendons in my back became inflamed during the day. My results were miraculous! I’ve been talking about this for ages and in one case had feedback from a lady on an Australian kayak fishing forum who after reading my recommendations got her mum on them and it made the difference between walking and not walking. I can’t tell you how happy hearing that made me!

It may not work for everyone as we are all different and our complaints differ also but I do know that you have to keep taking this every day as the effects wear off if you don’t.

It’s a good idea to talk to your doctor first because there may be interactions with other medications but so far I haven’t heard of any. Don’t take my word for it, do your own research.

For short term relief you can also try Rapigel a veterinary product which is in great demand by oldies here, Yes it’s meant for horses and dogs but it sure as heck works for humans!

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/68930/Rapigel-250G

Lastly I will mention that I’ve had great success using self hypnosis which is part of being able to meditate, in the area of pain relief. I’ve been practicing it every night for over a year now and the results have been so good that I’ve not needed the turmeric (and I’m lazy). However I am thinking of starting back on it as the pain is there when I try to grip things, The hypnosis is really good for taking away residual pain, in other words not the immediate pain when you try to do something but the pain or throbbing that happens after you’ve tried to use the affected hand. Not trying to push this too hard or you’ll think Ol’ Dig has lost his marbles but self hypnosis has allowed me to have amazing results over a range of conditions and problems in my life including some of the effects of PTSD and depression, down to allergies like hay fever. I can shut down the sneezing, sore itch eyes and runny nose in less than a minute. Just think about it, your mind controls your body and if you can control your mind....anything is possible!

So if you can already meditate, try some self hypnosis...takes me about 5 minutes a night and when someone asks me how I am these days I say I’m “fantastic’" and it’s true!

A lot of you blokes have known me in these places for years and while sometimes I may act like a dill, I ain’t stupid~

I have arthritis so playing a guitar is very painful and my fret hand gets immobile at times. So, I stopped playing after 65 years. So, while watching an old Les Paul video he had a hot wax machine he used before playing, so I found a small one on eBay and have been using it So far t is working like a charm and I may get the old axe out and see if I can still play it. (Relaxing Thermal Therapy Quick Heat Paraffin Bath Wax Spa For Hands Pedicure Tub) was inexpensive and seems to be working. Anyone else here use something like this?

My wife has one of those but it is large, you can get both feet in, after that you can do both hands. It is a great feeling, I have not used it in a very long time but I should one of these days.

I recall Digger recommending turmeric before. I decided to try it. I already use it in cooking, but not every day!

So I bought a years supply of capsules. Has it done any good? I'm not sure. It may have helped, but I dont know how it would feel without using it. :huh: ummm... hard to explain!

I recall Digger recommending turmeric before. I decided to try it. I already use it in cooking, but not every day!

So I bought a years supply of capsules. Has it done any good? I'm not sure. It may have helped, but I dont know how it would feel without using it. :huh: ummm... hard to explain!

It doesn’t work for Gael but a good percentage do find it helpful, or in my case a godsend. You can amplify the effects by adding black cherry juice and is it pepper?

Just think ME, it’s doing your prostate heaps of good anyway!

1516283688[/url]' post='1910374']

It's like Nature Blessed Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate. Add 2 tablespoons to any liquid to get the power of 60 fresh tart cherries in a single serving. Packed with antioxidants. It has helped many people I know from arthritis and joint pain, myself included. I was only able to play the guitar for 10 minutes in the past and I can play for an hour now or more. The pain in my knuckles and knees has gone. But some folks have claimed it did nothing for them. A friend of mine had his mom try it who was on a cane and walked very slow. She claims by it as she now doesn't need her cane and the pain has gone. My mom too loves it and now can crochet as she had arthritis in her hands very bad. Her fingers are all mostly crooked from arthritis as well as her knees and now can walk. Same thing with my Aunt who lives in Missouri. She put it in a cup of tea everyday. It also is supposed to be Brain and heart healthy and helps lower cholesterol and high blood pressure I thought. For $20 to $30 bucks it's worth a try? One guy at the Railroad complained about his knees hurting real bad so my friend brought some in and gave it to him. When we checked back with him later on and asked if it helped he said: "I don't know? My knees don't hurt anymore!"

It's like Nature Blessed Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate. Add 2 tablespoons to any liquid to get the power of 60 fresh tart cherries in a single serving. Packed with antioxidants. It has helped many people I know from arthritis and joint pain, myself included. I was only able to play the guitar for 10 minutes in the past and I can play for an hour now or more. The pain in my knuckles and knees has gone. But some folks have claimed it did nothing for them. A friend of mine had his mom try it who was on a cane and walked very slow. She claims by it as she now doesn't need her cane and the pain has gone. My mom too loves it and now can crochet as she had arthritis in her hands very bad. Her fingers are all mostly crooked from arthritis as well as her knees and now can walk. Same thing with my Aunt who lives in Missouri. She put it in a cup of tea everyday. It also is supposed to be Brain and heart healthy and helps lower cholesterol and high blood pressure I thought. For $20 to $30 bucks it's worth a try? One guy at the Railroad complained about his knees hurting real bad so my friend brought some in and gave it to him. When we checked back with him later on and asked if it helped he said: "I don't know? My knees don't hurt anymore!"

Wow. Ive just checked that available here too. I'll look into it. Thanks for that.

My back was killing me one time and I hit my thumb with a hammer and my back stopped hurting for a couple days. [biggrin]

Like a friend who when he had a tooth ache he would bite on an ice cube until he could not stand it and he thought the toothache didn't hurt so much :) Hum, seems like a good plan? [flapper]

1516363209[/url]' post='1910618']

My back was killing me one time and I hit my thumb with a hammer and my back stopped hurting for a couple days. [biggrin]

Made me laugh! Too funny, like a coworker I used to know at the Union Pacific. He raced dirt track cars and was working on one in his garage. He hit his finger with a hammer and blood built up under the nail and it was throbbing so bad he couldn't stand it. So his friend in the garage suggested heating a needle and poking through the nail to release the pressure. Well, he didn't have a needle. So he thought I know, he grabbed his drill, put the finest drill,bit in it and placed his hand on his wooden work bench and started to drill through the nail. When the drill went through the nail, it rapidly went through the rest of the finger and into the work bench. "OWCH!" He was screaming in Pain then. Got his mind off the hammer part though Lol. He told me that story and I laughed for 10 minutes at him.

Made me laugh! Too funny, like a coworker I used to know at the Union Pacific. He raced dirt track cars and was working on one in his garage. He hit his finger with a hammer and blood built up under the nail and it was throbbing so bad he couldn't stand it. So his friend in the garage suggested heating a needle and poking through the nail to release the pressure. Well, he didn't have a needle. So he thought I know, he grabbed his drill, put the finest drill,bit in it and placed his hand on his wooden work bench and started to drill through the nail. When the drill went through the nail, it rapidly went through the rest of the finger and into the work bench. "OWCH!" He was screaming in Pain then. Got his mind off the hammer part though Lol. He told me that story and I laughed for 10 minutes at him.

I knew someone who did this (and got it right). Early in my machine shop days, a Polish miller called Jack asked the drillers if he could use a pillar drill. 'yeah, help yourself Jack'. Then he asked for a 1/64" drill bit (he got one). Then he secured the drill in the chuck and proceeded to drill into his thumb nail.

He neglected to mention he had smashed his thumb with a mallet. The drillers nearly at panic stations for a while...

I'm a little late to the thread, but I can offer big help.

It's called the arthritis/bursitis diet.

First some background. I have inherited bursitis in my hip and arthritis in the little finger of my left hand due to an old basketball injury.

The bursitis was so bad I couldn't walk two blocks without sitting, I couldn't drive without an ice pack behind my right hip, and I used a stool on stage. The arthritis was so bad that I would skip the note G# on the sax because the pressure of that key hurt too much and a would substitute other fingers on the guitar neck, which of course compromised my playing.

I was using emu oil, aspercreme, and dozens of other potions. Plus I was swallowing MSM, sAME, glucosamine and chondroitin plus a few others like they were candy.

I was uninsured at the time, so I didn't want to go the prescription medicine route (too expensive in the US - plus some unwanted side-effects) so I asked another doctor. The doctor works for a company that sells dietary supplements, so I was expecting him to say take this and that in addition. But instead, he recommended the arthritis/bursitis diet.

Now I walk 4 miles a day on non-gig days (a far cry from two blocks) I drove from Florida to Idaho to see the eclipse without an ice pack, and I use the little finger of my left hand for G#s on the sax and whenever needed on the guitar.

I also quit taking all the supplements except glocosamine, because I believe it's a preventative for further injury.

My neighbor was walking her dog with a cane to support her knee. I told her about the diet, and in a month, the cane was gone.

I had to give up a few foods that I love, but I'd rather walk and play guitar than eat them.

So here is the e-mail the doc at the supplement house gave to me.

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats)

* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)

* Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)

* Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachadonic acid)

* Pasta (high glycemic index)

* Juices (high glycemic index)

* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)

* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye or whole wheat)

* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish

* Oatmeal

* Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables

* Olives and olive oil

* Peanuts and other nuts

* Whey proteins

* Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

I thought I was going to need hip replacement, now I'm 99.9999% better. Every once in a while I get a little hip discomfort, not anything that can be called pain, and it reminds me how bad I used to be. And then I think about what I had to eat and usually some no-no food is the culprit.

Notes

A friend remarked that the Cherry Juice Concentrate was snake oil; but, hey I said what is Meloxicam and ibuprofen if not snake oil? If something works it must be okay. I am doing the double-blind test and when that is complete then it will either be pure snake oil or snake oil with a bite.

The wife picked me up some Emu Oil way back in a spray bottle from a craft event. So I tried it when I had bad pain in my hands. It did work but only for about 3 hours. Then I could play but that oily stuff was all over my hands and fingers and screwed up the strings much faster. I still have a bunch, don't know if it ever goes bad? Got gout in my right toes back then for some reason and could hardly walk. Doc said it was from my blood pressure pills and he'd have to change them so I sprayed that emu on them like crazy and it still hurt like hell.

The wife picked me up some Emu Oil way back in a spray bottle from a craft event. So I tried it when I had bad pain in my hands. It did work but only for about 3 hours. Then I could play but that oily stuff was all over my hands and fingers and screwed up the strings much faster. I still have a bunch, don't know if it ever goes bad? Got gout in my right toes back then for some reason and could hardly walk. Doc said it was from my blood pressure pills and he'd have to change them so I sprayed that emu on them like crazy and it still hurt like hell.

Try the diet. What do you have to lose?

Give it a month, and see if you aren't pain free.

Notes

Archived