Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Keeley

Californiaman

EytschPi42 did an in depth review of this on youtube which is worth a look if you've got time.

Lots of people keep saying its the Keeley version of a klon, based on the graphic I would imagine, but the company has categorically stated that's not the case

I have a Klon and the Oxblood and no they are not the same. The Oxblood is just a KILLER creation from the House of Blue Lights. There are used ones on Reverb for as low as $115 so you don't have to put out $199 for new. There are many demo videos on YouTube for your listening pleasure. :o

Sounds good. And if they can be had used for $115 you can't go wrong. It has that Klon mid-range thing going on but seems like you can get close to a fuzz sound on the left diode setting which is cool - two sounds for the price of one.

Keeley has always been really good at marketing

The Ge version is kinda silly because the original version already uses Ge diodes. Keeley does not use NOS OC75 so what you get is an out of spec new production OC75 configured as a diode vs a Russian Ge diode in the stock version

Also I see there is a germanium version (OC75 inside). They took out the compression on this one so it's a little more punchy.

Wouldn't it be something if RK made one that had two settings. One with the germanium transistors on one side and the silicon transistors on the other.

Then you could get the best of both worlds. When you needed a little compression, it'd be right there.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I'm leaning to the germanium one. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Wouldn't it be something if RK made one that had two settings. One with the germanium transistors on one side and the silicon transistors on the other.

Then you could get the best of both worlds. When you needed a little compression, it'd be right there.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I'm leaning to the germanium one. We'll see how it all shakes out.

There are no silicon transistors in the normal one. The regular oxblood has a switch to toggle between silicon or germanium diodes (not transistors). The germanium version uses new production OC75 transistors configured as diodes. Basically it is a convenient way to use the transistors that do not meet spec requirements for their boost and fuzz pedals

To be honest there is nothing special or desirable about new production OC75 it is purely a marketing gimmick, but that’s not to say it’s a bad sounding pedal

Archived