Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

kidblast

I saw a video on YouTube on the CODE amps, and Tony Mackenzie I believe it was opened one up. I don't want to surmise his conclusion, but he was generally insinuating that it was pretty cheaply made... Chinese power supply, all micro-processor (ARM processor) amp, no named speaker in cabinet... I mean, for just farting around, why not I guess. If someone likes it and it fulfills their needs, that is great. Just saying that I was sort of turned off after viewing that video and actually seeing the "guts" of one of these amplifiers. But for the price, why not I guess... As long as it isn't crapping out on anyone and such, it could be a good buy...

a

For those with doubts it might also be worth look at the comparisons on the V-guitar site under their Boss Katana amp reviews. The Code is considered a poor relation to the Boss.

I watched the video. That guy cracks me up.

- This isn't a tube amp.

- it's got pcb, transistors and processors, simply not a tube amp.

- no transformers or tubes!

- this isn't made in England. and it isn't a tube amp.

- the speaker does not even have a Marshall sticker on it.

- the effects are trying to hide that this isn't a tube amp.

- this isn't a made in England Marshall Stack.

- an app? Marshall tube amps don't use apps.

Then he gives it a 7 out 10 rating...

Truth is the CODE 25 comes with an absolutely horrendous speaker, all you have to do to know that is to play music through it using your phone, it isn't and issue of frequency range but rather quality of the speaker itself.

I rolled the dice and ordered a full range speaker for mine (50hz to 5000khz), the speaker has a rubber surround which tends to smooth the glass-like sound these amps tend to produce (my opinion).

I had a Fender Champ XD and it was the same situation.

Once I receive the speaker and install it I will post my findings.

The reason I bought the Code was for a living room amp and given the price I wasn't expecting a do all be all. I'm not concerned with making comparisons to a Boss or a Fender or whatever - it's for convenience and fun and it's just fine for my purposes. These are all relatively cheap amps so I think we all knew there would be things to critique. :)

Let's get real.. the CODE 50 1x12 amp costs $249 dollars. Some SPEAKERS cost more than that. Hell, a good boutique over drive pedal can cost that much easily. Honestly what do these jokers on YouTube expect? Youtube is loaded with idiots. it really is comical..

As I've have mentioned, I own a mustang III v1, as well.. it's down at the moment, I have to replace the power switch, which literally fell apart in about 3 pieces one day (Way to go China!!)

I like the amp, in my experience, it's comparable to the code amps. (They newer mustang GTs are still lost in the weeds with issues it seems)

The speakers have been the biggest complaint with all of these. The 100w Mustang IIIs did come with an "upgraded" spearker factory. what that means, no one knows. But the Mustang II 40 watt 1x12 doesn't sound nearly as good as the 100 Watt III. it was + 50 to go to the III from the II similar to the code 25 vs the code 50.

I still say for what these all cost and what they do, IMO they really are the "perfect" practice amp. Work great in impromptu jam sessions too. They aren't going to replace a good solid tube amp. But out of the box, they do just about all the "stuff" I need when I want to practice / noodle.

I was in San Antonio for almost a week but I have been playing mine for the last few days through headphones. It does the job, plug in guitar, plug in phone with songs or drums app, headphones and start jamming.

A lot of people prefer the Boss Katana and I can see why but to me it does not quite sound like a Marshall. The Code 25 is not a fantastic sounding amplifier but it is very sufficient for me and the features and layout are perfect.

I am going to read the manual to make sure I am not missing anything.

It was cool to discover the tuner can be changed to alternative tuning using the app very cool to be able to tune to whatever using the amp.

I haven't tried any of the Boss Katana's. I did consider trying that instead of the Code.

Lots of ppl like those amps too.

I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to any of these kind of amps.

Tony does seem to be a bright guy. but to imply "They have lost the path" is a bit disingenuous. It's not like Marshall has abandoned what made them great, they're simply responding to something the market is looking for. His opinion on the review was clear.. "I'm not looking forward to it" in terms of just doing the review. Okay, so Why do it then? Someone pay him for it? I don't know that.

I think I mentioned way early on that these amps are not for everyone, and they won't suit every players needs / desires. It's a computer, with a speaker.. So,....

on the other hand, the review was in fact worth watching. so no, he's not one of the "Jokers"... but you know they're are plenty out there

These modeling amps won't obsolete a good old pure tube amp. They just won't. Some guys have gone this route however, and they don't make any less money on gigs they used their old tube rigs for. It's a convenience factor for me. I like the idea of having the all-in-1 sort of device to use as a practice amp. It is what it is, right?

I've got three very fine Tube amps, and a pedal board that I've got probably close to 1.5k invested in. The tube combos and the pedal board comprise my main gigging rig. The Code and Mustang amps, while they are not actually "Toys" (as I first thought they were until I tried a Mustang and realized, they really are not) You can use them just as you would a small combo and modest pedal board. for me, they fit a nitch. Great practice amp, or something to lug to a Sunday afternoon jam. No need to lug a 65lb tube anp and a 45lb pedal board. Drop one of these down in the floor, plug it in and go...

Hey Chris,

yea, this is how all these amps are. There's just not lot of point to point / hand-wiring sort of stuff going on in there for people to admire and appreciate. Amp techs probably all feel the same way "What the heck is this crap!?!??!" there's really not a lot for those types to do. They're disposable commodities.

you'd see the same thing opening up a HD LED TV. A power supply, a processing board or two, and miles of empty real estate. Nothing like the TVs our parents had in their living rooms when we were kids.

That's where the technology evolved to. These amps are sort of the same paradigm, some processors, power supply and a speaker. Guys like Tony are probably never gonna entirely warm up to them. That doesn't really mean that they are not feasible. One thing that is good is I did see a FUSE on the power supply module.. I wondered a bit about that when I first got it. the video clearly shows that, which made it worth watching.

They are (sort of) cheap enough where there's not a lot of investment to try one. There are 99 presets, which no one needs. And most of them need to be edited to suit our own ears. to really know them, means spending some time with the edit functions to find your sounds. There's a learning curve for sure.

Yea,, wild how things have evolved.

My VERY first amp was a Sears Roebuck branded amp. (It was I think some sort of Ampeg off shoot. 40 watts, 1x12 All tube driven) w/a reverb tank. Decent sounding amp for the day, it was pretty loud. This was PRE Pre-amp days, early 70s, and the only way to get crunch or distortion was to dime the amp. That got the dogs (and dear old Dad) howling! :)

one of the coolest sounding amps I ever had was the one that came with the Danelectro Guitars, the amp was built into the case. That was a 15 watt Class A Tube amp as well with an 8 Inch Speaker. you cranked that thing and it sounded pretty awesome. my sisters brother inlaw just gave it to me one day in the mid 70s. "Here. take it. I don't play it"... I can't even remember what became of either the DAno or the 40 wat combo. Those DanO's with the case in working order today are insane money on eBay.

These modelers are fun, and have some use, but they'll never out do a good tube amp. I just hope there doesn't come a day when you can't get a pure valve amp.

Well, I installed a new speaker but, it's a no-go.

You gain something but lose something.

I am sure these amps would sound better with a better speaker, the problem is that speaker would have to meet a series of specifications that would prove a suitable replacement speaker hard to find.

I am sure the CODE 50 has more options for speaker replacement since it has a 12" speaker.

Frankly I think the CODE 25 should have an 8" speaker, that small close cab is simply too small for the air that a 10" speaker can generate.

The good news is that I have started modifying presets and the amp sounds better right away.

I started with the Silver Jubilee presets, lowered gain to half, adjusted EQ and lowered the noise gate and it sound more pleasant right away.

I am curious why the speaker swap was a bust. just didn't work out for your ears or was it something else? Presets do need to be tweek'd, I've got two or three that I've been working with (don't really need much more than 3 or 4 good sounding presets.. 100 is way over kill I think) Aside from the FX being laid on a bit thick, the EQ'ing needs to be reset too. most of them to my ears are a tad too bright. Overall I do like the 50 watt 1x12 combo Don't regret the purchase

The new speaker pushes more air and the small cab on the CODE 25 just doesn't have the room. Any 10" speaker I looked at needs more room for a closed enclosure application.

The replacement speaker did sound better for music playback and does not sound horrible when playing guitar is just that it isn't overall much better.

As I said, I am sure these amps could have a much better speaker but to find that exact speaker to match all the needs and specs of this amp is tough.

Celestion is now making a speaker for modeling amps by the way, but it is a 12"

Frankly for me it was a timing thing, got the amp, noticed the subpar speaker then went on vacation where I had plenty of time to look at replacement speaker online and bought one. Probably if I had played with the amp settings first I would've make it sound better and would not have bought another speaker.

Another thing that crosses my mind is that an 8" may be better suited for the CODE 25. Sad thing is I used to have one and gave it away.

Ah ! I didn't find this when I looked there was some other Celestion that people were going to (Rocket 50??) the reviews were sketchy.

thx for the hint!

btw.. their web site says "Coming soon" so it may not be avail yet.

Oh yea, it's a new model, they unveiled it at NAMM, not available yet.

A lot of people replace speakers in modeling amps it's tricky to know how that speaker will color the sound of the models though. Ideally you want a speaker that will simply reproduce the sound of the model rather than being a factor in the sound.

When I had a Fender Champ XD I ran it through a JBL speaker and sounded much better.

Yes, for sure the speaker can make a huge diff.

There were a lot of suggestions in the mustang fourms for speaker swap outs, But I just used what came with it. It's worked since 2012.. so..

With the CODE, I will like do the same unless the replacement speaker is not a big cost factor. $150 for a replacement speaker for a $249 amp sort of don't seem -- purposeful.. if I was gigging it,, maybe, but no plans for that. I'd use one of the tube combos and the pedal board for those, and HELP moving them too! Oy!

Archived