Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

kidblast

Being a sort of curious dude, I had been considering trying the new Marshall Code Series out. Picked up a 50w 1x12 combo, delivered yesterday.

some very good sounds to be had here, going alont the lines of the Fender Mustangs, this gets a wide range of tones/effects. The Code uses Bluetooth and an Android or iOS device. Paired it up with my Galaxy and have been checking out all the various capabilities.

While the Fender really does the Fender based models really good this one is heavy on the Marshall modes.

It is down right friggen nasty. and 50 watts 1x12 it's got some serious balls.

it doesn't obsolete any of my tube amps, but as a practice, or a quick jam pops up and I need to take along an easy to lug amp.. oh yea,, it's the bomb...

28827765_10209137584636249_4466102496992666165_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8d0f299e15aff143ccb580d2b202d982&oe=5B408530

28827282_10209137586116286_6548611646614176989_o.jpg?oh=44785c82fbbe35e2a9cafcc1e7f65e2c&oe=5B7569C4

I have the 25 watt model and I like it too.

Great practice amp that does pack a lot of Marshall tones inside.

I also like the Bluetooth connection you can use with your phone. Very handy and fun to use.

I didnt notice that about teles. I have not tried my telecaster yet. Just one of my strats and one of my Las pauls. Teles and SGs are next on the list...

I have the 50 watt mustang 3, that's a cool amp roo, the code is quite different in the interface. Also the presets are more properly leveled in the code amp. The mustang amps, the volume levels are all over the place. It was a pain to level all the presets. Glad the code amps tried to address that.

So far, coolness in layers..

You caved in!! I knew you would! I was checking those out a couple weeks ago as well. They sound really good for a solid state modeling amp. I have the Fender Mustang as well and considered the Code amps. Glad you like it!

So far, very happy with the results.

I do think it edges out the Mustang III in a few areas.

Touch response. it's very dynamic, more so than the Mustang

Access to all editable parameters with out "needing" a remote connection. (Mustangs needed fuse for a few deep edit functions) and the interface is REAL easy

The volume rise/decrease works more like an amp. I had a Mustang IV and as the Mustang III that I still have the volume is not all that "Smooth" as you turn it up.. the Code is cleaner here.

Volume Levels between patches is way more consistent. with the mustang, some patches would require a lot of level UP to make them match adjacent presets, Or, conversely level DOWN on the ones where the volumes were drastically louder.

This really is a nit, you edit the patches, save your self a sequence of 5 r 6 sounds (hard to think you really NEED more..) and your done. but with the Code, they seem to have even cracked that.

some great cleans out of it with lush reverbs, nice sounding delays and all the usual suspects for modulation. there are settings for FX I have not even ventured too yet. the buolt in compressor seems much more active than the Mustangs works more like a dedicated stomp box

It's a VERY cool sounding amp.

The Gateway app to control the amp via Bluetooth is nice.. Pairing for me, has been a little clunky but it does connect after a few tries. There are some open source editors that use USB connections that work with Windows, they are "use at your own peril" apps.. they do work but... A bit quirky.

The Marshall App is iOS or Android / Bluetooth only right now. Very easy to use once it's paired properly.

Pretty loud for 50 watts too. can't see how this couldn't hold it's own with a moderately heavy drummer and bass player going at it.

Foot switch is coming, (back ordered)

I considered the smaller one, but for the + 50 bucks I went with the Code 50.. Very comparable size/weight wise to the MIII.

Where the mustang shines with the Blackface & Tweed sounds, the Marshall grinds it's teeth quite a bit better. The Bluesbreaker, JTM/JCM and Plexi models sound good. Also I was surprised to see it was closed back not open back like many combos are.

I think you'll like it Riff.

I already ordered it yesterday.

I thought I'd browse eBay, Reverb, etc. well, Guitar Center had one used and looked very new. $150 all-in. It's on its way.

The advantage of getting used gear through Guitar Center is that if anything is wrong they'll make it good.

I already ordered it yesterday.

I thought I'd browse eBay, Reverb, etc. well, Guitar Center had one used and looked very new. $150 all-in. It's on its way.

The advantage of getting used gear through Guitar Center is that if anything is wrong they'll make it good.

yea I almost went that route.. You can just hit the factory reset, and it should be as it was new. unless the previous owner let his cat pee on it...

(Yeeeeeesh!) or was a chain smoker.. (double yeeesh)

You might want to check the firware rev. you can down load a windows or mac app for that. It worked w/USB cable to my PC The new amp was at the latest rev.

so I didn't have to update.

Oh yea, I forgot. I do always update software in these situations. I hope it comes with the cable or that I have one, probably the cable I use with my TC Electronics pedals will fit.

And you are right about the possible state of the amp. I hesitate to buy stuff like this used but I decided to flip the coin this time.

I did however chose the pick up at store option, I will open it there and inspect it, if there is an issue I'll address it right there.

Oh yea, I forgot. I do always update software in these situations. I hope it comes with the cable or that I have one, probably the cable I use with my TC Electronics pedals will fit.

And you are right about the possible state of the amp. I hesitate to buy stuff like this used but I decided to flip the coin this time.

I did however chose the pick up at store option, I will open it there and inspect it, if there is an issue I'll address it right there.

it's a usb mini cable. They're pretty cheap and easy to find on line.

I bought the Marshall Code 25 a couple of months back - mostly for a living room amp & have been very happy with it. I did not post a NAD thread because I didn't know there was any interest in it. I'm tickled to see this thread and to know there are others who see the benefits of having this amp in their arsenal. It is amazing to me the stuff they're turning out these days. These are good time we're living in Bros! :)

I didn't look at this type of amps for a log time until a youtube demo played while I was watching and hearing the sounds and reviews made me look into the features and it seems it has it all, even tuner.

The idea of an all integrated practice amp seemed very appealing these days when I am trying to sell stuff I do not need.

I bought the Marshall Code 25 a couple of months back - mostly for a living room amp & have been very happy with it. I did not post a NAD thread because I didn't know there was any interest in it. I'm tickled to see this thread and to know there are others who see the benefits of having this amp in their arsenal. It is amazing to me the stuff they're turning out these days. These are good time we're living in Bros! :)

yea, for sure. It's the kind of thing that not everyone would take an interest in, until they sit down and spend a few minutes and TRY one. Then the whole myth of "Well, only a tube amp will sound like I want" tends to go out the window. I have tube amps, I know what they do. and I know how much they weigh, and the hassle of pedal boards, and power supplies, and cable runs and... etc...

These are not only good as practice amps, but if you go with a 50W version, they can hold their own in a jam. I haven't taken the marshall out yet, but I've used the Mustang III on numerous occasions, I Also had the big brother (the Mustang IV) and that sucker screamed.

100 presets is a bit much, and many of the factory presets just sound silly, but the setting are all editable and you can change anything you want. Besides, you really only need a handful of GOOD presets.

Rev, did you try the Marshall Gateway app yet? That really does make the edits a breeze, (and kind a fun too)

Missed this thread earlier.

VERY cool little amp.

...I considered the smaller one, but for the + 50 bucks I went with the Code 50...

I've just had a google and in the UK the 25w version (easily enough for all my current and likely future needs) is £155 ($220) whereas the 50w is quite a bit more pricey at £245 ($355).

The optional foot pedal looks like good value at around £40.

I might try to check one out; they look to be extremely versatile and good fun all round.

Pip.

Missed this thread earlier.

VERY cool little amp.

I've just had a google and in the UK the 25w version (easily enough for all my current and likely future needs) is £155 ($220) whereas the 50w is quite a bit more pricey at £245 ($355).

The optional foot pedal looks like good value at around £40.

I might try to check one out; they look to be extremely versatile and good fun all round.

Pip.

yea pip, they are fun. To have a bunch of good sounds, good sounding FXs, where you just need a "cable", from your axe to the amp, makes for a great practice amp. if you just plan to use it as a practice/home/parlor amp, no doubt the 25 watter will suit the need.

I'm having an absolute blast with mine, I've had Mustang amps since 2012.. so I am quite familiar with how these kind of amps work. The magic is in the edit capabilities where you can dial in your OWN preferred sounds. Where the Marshall steps a head of the Fender amps, is all the edits are available from the on board LCD. (as mentioned earlier, the Mustangs needed FUSE to get to some of the DEEP edits).

in general, the modelers are getting better and will continue to improve. They wont obsolete all the great pure valve amps, BUT, they're gonna give em a run for their money.

I just picked my amp at GC, got the notification it was in this morning. Good timing because I was craving a brisket burrito from the place next door.

Amp is in great cosmetic condition and clean, seems like I will not be getting a venereal disease from it.

I'll plug it in tonight.

I like it a lot, the layout of the buttons is very well thought out, which is very simple at the same time by following the signal path.

The settings on my amp were uneven but it was an easy fix. I reset the amp to factory then plugged it in to my computer using a cable from my TC Electronic Delay and updated the firmware that was indeed out of date. It was very quick.

I like how light it is and the convenience of everything in a single package.

These amps always benefit from a better full range speaker but I will leave it alone for now.

The noise gate needs to be adjusted in a lot of the settings, I had read this somewhere and it is true, kind of overkill but it is an easy fix.

Great news Riff...

Great little amps.

Now that you mention the noise gate,, Agree I've had to tweak that as well. the more I play around with different presets, I do see some a bit of level tweaking, but compared to the mustang, the Marshall presets are quite a bit more consistent than what I noticed with my Mustang.

I still like my Mustang III, however the CODE Amp is a great alternative. Lots of cool and very usable sounds from each. This modeling stuff has come a long way. For the "only a tube amp will ever do" crowd, those guys will probably never warm up to these. I get it, I do.. but honestly, for what you gotta spend to get into one, it's worth the gamble.

Archived