Gibson Brands Forums

FGD

Black Dog

Well, it was time to say farewell to my old friend. She was a good one, a 2016 Joe B. LP. I enjoyed that guitar, but with a new purchase, and some other things planned, she had to go. She's off to find a new home. Is it strange to get a little attached to a guitar? Maybe. Ted McCarty did say guitars players are strange.

Well, I wish you all the best in your 'Swapsies'.

...Is it strange to get a little attached to a guitar?...

I doubt it.

For 24 years my #1 guitar was a '64 Strat and I found the whole process of deciding the only rational thing to do was to let it go to be utterly antagonistic.

It was MY guitar. It still should be.

Burglars should be shot on sight.

L16738. If anyone ever sees it up for sale please let me know...

Pip.

No.

Long-ish story;

There had been a run of burglaries in the area in which I was living. Our own house was done; at least three sets of neighbours were done and then there started to be repeat burglaries at previously targeted homes. Some of our immediate neighbours were 'done' again and things were looking dark. The first time we were burgled we lost some valuables but the Strat had escaped - probably because it 'lived' behind the living room door and just happened to be out of sight to anyone coming into the room. I had to consider the prospect that if we were targeted again I might not be so lucky. Much as I loved the guitar I knew the thought of losing it through theft would be quite devastating - I had owned it well over half my lifetime and it had been my main gigging guitar when I used to play out - and so I took the decision to sell it myself; then, at least, the choice to let it go would had been mine.

I sold it (cheaply) through eBay and vowed never to become so attached to a guitar again.

Since then we have been burgled a further twice and a third attempt was thwarted through our subsequently-fitted intruder alarms. I still feel very uneasy any time we leave home for any length of time but there's only so many precautions one can take.

Pip.

Since then we have been burgled a further twice and a third attempt was thwarted through our subsequently-fitted intruder alarms. I still feel very uneasy any time we leave home for any length of time but there's only so many precautions one can take.

Pip.

Blimey, three times + nearly a fourth!

I'm not surprised you are uneasy to leave the house. I certainly would be.

I am a Londoner and lived most of my life in London and moved out in 2016 (thank God - I don't miss it at all). For 30 years we lived in Newham. We were burgled once (I am pretty sure I know who did it but no proof of course) in all that time and nothing much was stolen.

You seem to be in a favourite burglar "hit zone" Pippy. I know you are a photographer and I would fancy that if the thieves know about your work they would come for your equipment.

I don't want to derail the thread but just to clarify something;

...You seem to be in a favourite burglar "hit zone" Pippy. I know you are a photographer and I would fancy that if the thieves know about your work they would come for your equipment...

Yes and no, Pin.

Yes; we are in quite a nice neighbourhood but there are also a number of pockets where disadvantaged families are housed so, when various social problems are added to the mix, burglary seems to be endemic. But no, I'm not being targeted any more than others in the same street. There are geographic reasons behind the high frequency of thefts in this area so all we can do is to take such precautions as are within our control. It could be worse; according to the community liaison officer whose meeting subsequently followed-on from our last break-in there is one quite small area 1/4 mile away whose inhabitants report burglaries on a weekly basis...sometimes more than one at a time...

Anyway; Carry On with the FGD Thread!

Pip.

Burglars should be shot on sight.

Well, that's a sad story. I agree completely with the above.

I've been burgled once in my life, well it was intended to be a burglary but it ended up being a robbery. I was 14, I had fallen asleep in my bedroom after school one day while listening to music with my headphones on. My neighbors called the police when they saw a strange van and men going in my house. They thought nobody was home. I think when they found me there they fled. When the police arrived they found me asleep in my bean bag chair (it was 1978) with my headphones on. For some reason the officer thought I was the burglar. He was a big dude, grabbed me by the shoulders and picked me up out of the chair, threw me on the floor and handcuffed me before I was even fully awake. I kept telling him I lived there but he kind of roughed me up a bit and took me outside where my neighbors finally identified and saved me. Who thinks burglars take naps with headphones on? Well, I'm sure it's probably happened at least once before. Anyway, it was an interesting experience.

Couldn't you find a good hiding spot Pip? Attic or something?

msp_scared.gif

DON'T TELL THE BURGLARS MY "WELL I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT" HIDING PLACE!!!!!!!!!!.........

sad.gif

In point of fact I do put the majority of the guits in the attic in their cases and I then thread a flexible steel-hawser-style cycle-lock cable through the handles of all the cases. The attic has no drop-down steps nor a hinged access port so to get up there - and to get, subsequently, anything out of the cases - would be a burglar's nightmare They would also make enough noise to alert our neighbours on both sides into the bargain.

My good cameras always come with me on holiday so, apart from that, there's not much to lose. We don't have fancy electronics/iPads/laptops/jewellery and if a burglar fancies trying to hoist my Music Man 2x12 over his shoulder then More Fool He...

Pip.

I've been burgled once in my life, well it was intended to be a burglary but it ended up being a robbery...

Crikey! What a situation in which to find yourself!

Actions First; Questions Later!...

Glad your neighbours were still on hand to set the police straight.

Pip.

Crikey! What a situation in which to find yourself!

Actions First; Questions Later!...

Pip.

It was quite an experience for a 14 year old kid. I don't really blame the officer. They were called to a burglary/robbery in progress. I think their first goal is to get control of the situation which they did. No harm done, I don't have PTSD and it's a good story.

Archived