Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been lurking about on this topic and I have AL174. I ordered the replacement trem arm from allparts.com before post about BlackRider. I emailed Blackrider and they said too that they were out. They also said that it is the exact same one that allparts.com sells. I got mine today from allparts and it is the exact same one as in Superdick2112's photo. I am happy with this replacement arm. I wonder if Al's is the original that came with the guitar or if it's a replacement?

I am very happy with this guitar. I own 4 other Gibsons - all from the Custom Shop and this absolutely the best playing and sounding of the bunch.

Cheers,

madaxe

I finally picked mine up at the weekend from Wildwood in Louisville CO. and its now safely back in the UK, thanks to American Airlines, there isn't even a single ding on the cardboard box.......photos and detailed run down to come later, but initial feelings after my first few hours getting to know Big Al #105 ..........Whoooooooaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! But below are my initial feelings...................

Wildwood were excellent to deal with, so helpfull & professional in every aspect, a true pleasure to deal with and will no doubt have my custom again in the future.

As for Custom Shop Quality.......??????

The Alpine White finish is flawless (+)

'F' Holes - not the smoothest of finishes by any means, blob of whitye paint at the edges (-)

The sound so far through a Marshall Plexi Head & 2x12" loded with Celestion Anniversaries is pure tonal bliss (+++++)

The binding is poor in comparison to my other guitars, the Jap & Korean ones I have are far superior, it rarely lies flush with the body or neck, really dissapointed with this (-)

The neck is absolutely fantastic, I honestly think its the nicest neck I've ever played on, fits into my mit perfectly and feels so easy (+++++)

Tremelo/Bridge I haven't played with yet so yet to comment but looks bloody lovely and the gold is hardware looks wonderful

Custom Shop Case - The signature screenprint looks like a monkey did it, not straight, not central and the tips of the A & L are snipped off (-)

.........but all in all I'm really happy to have it in my collection and its never leaving, its a keeper for sure as I've waited 30 years for this guitar.....

Does anyone else have similar gripes like mine.....? Just a little dissapointed at Custom Shop quality overall

I've been lurking about on this topic and I have AL174. I ordered the replacement trem arm from allparts.com before post about BlackRider. I emailed Blackrider and they said too that they were out. They also said that it is the exact same one that allparts.com sells. I got mine today from allparts and it is the exact same one as in Superdick2112's photo. I am happy with this replacement arm. I wonder if Al's is the original that came with the guitar or if it's a replacement?

I am very happy with this guitar. I own 4 other Gibsons - all from the Custom Shop and this absolutely the best playing and sounding of the bunch.

Cheers' date='

madaxe[/quote']

Hey madaxe, we are brothers. I have AL175! Congrats! Where did you get it from??

Hey madaxe' date=' we are brothers. I have AL175! Congrats! Where did you get it from??[/quote']

From Saul at Centre City Music in downtown San Diego. I've bought a few Gibsons from him and I will always get my new Gibsons from him. He is easy to deal with and has good customer service. I do live here in SD too.

Very cool madaxe to get yours' date=' I ordered mine from sal as well and i think i was 4th in line.

This means i should be getting mine soon, I hope.

Did allparts have a part number for the arm ?

AL ??? 300 I hope ![/quote']

Part # is BP 2010-002 - I hope you do get yours soon. I thought it was well worth the wait!

I got mine from Saul as well. I was the first to order them from him. I had been calling him prior to the release when I heard Alex talking of a sig. model in the works. Saul informed me at the time, off the record, that it was indeed a done deal but that he could not officially state that until Gibson made an offical release, and I kept my mouth shut and trusted that Saul would come through. However, on the day of the NAMM release, I called him and said let's get this thing going. He called the custom shop and confirmed. He then asked if he should order more (he was not very familiar with Lifeson). I said they will sell quick and that he should. He decided to order five. I referred several people to him and then he decided he should order five more. Unfortunately, he had to wait for the big guys like MF, GC, and Wildwood before he got his, even though I know he probably ordered them first since when I called Wildwood at the same time they were not sure about the release. That is a shame because Saul is a First Class dealer all the way. Those of you that just now got yours from Saul probably got the second batch.

As far as the trem arm goes. It sounds like the replacement arm that I got from Guitarpartsresource.com is the same one that people got from BlackRider and Allparts. It has the correct angle and is shorter, but it raises off the body about an inch or so. This is not correct (I have looked at many pictures of his guitar and it does not raise above the tailpiece). Look closely at this picture. It shows that the trem arm angles up then down, resting the handle on the body of the guitar.

70543006_lQPKovwR.jpg

I don't like the replacement arms because it is floating above the tail piece and is still capable of being moved in some way which would cause the guitar to go out or tune. The arm that came stock with the Lifeson, although a bit straighter angle and the tip of the handle sticks out from the body of the guitar is actually quite a nice fit. It clamps down on the body of the guitar and keeps the guitar in tune. Also, because it is longer, the handle rests on the binding of the guitar and therefore will not mess up the finish in any way. I am going to stick with the original arm. I have seen pics from the S&A 2008 tour and he is using the original and the prototype. (I see them this Saturday in Philly). The pics of the prototype show the longer arm. So, if it doesn't bother Alex, it shouldn't bother me. (He is also using no pick guard this time around on either of them). I still think I like the pick guard. We'll see

here we go....

AL70 on ebay

still waiting for mine....one more week...maybe AL ???

Hey that's just one more number than my AL 069. I didn't pay anywhere close to that for mine though.

yeah those pictures look exactly like how Wildwood has them on their website

I finally picked mine up at the weekend from Wildwood in Louisville CO.

Does anyone else have similar gripes like mine.....? Just a little dissapointed at Custom Shop quality overall

I think I have a little reverse of what you have enduro expert. I've actually noticed a few small marks in the white finish, I don't know how I'd go about getting them touched up, but I'll be playing this thing for ever so the finish will definitely get aged in years to come anyways. I think they have been there ever since I picked up the guitar because I know I've been really careful with it, I think maybe the Yorkville people may have did something when they set it up. My F holes aren't too rough as what I've seen on Wildwood's website with the large paint blobs, I can only compare to my cheap copy and the shape is much better. The neck is great, I like how the tremolo arm is solid, my other guitars the arm have some free play. The signature on my case is all there. I'm pretty satisfied with the job Gibson Custom did with mine..

Hi all ,

Thanks to SuperD2112 in the beginning of May he said "wildwood" has a few in stock .

I was in a panic , I had been reading the forum for a few weeks and never thought I might

have a problem getting one . I ordered my 355 from wildwood on the 3rd of May . They called

me on the 5th to confirm and had it shipped overnight and had it on Tue's the 6th .

I have read and read the posts . Plenty good and a few , well you have to deal with some anyhow .

I am trying to remember most of the " issues " people had with the guitar . I have some as well .

I read a post , it is an inspired by not a VOS ? Click on this http://www.gibsoncustom.com/inspiredby/Alex_Lifeson_ES-355.html

you will see Inspired by then Alex Lifeson ES-355 VOS .

Gibson is messed up as far as customer relations and or accountability .

If this is a VOS as Gibson states , Why is the " long travel " bridge made in JAPAN ???

That blew it for me . I do love the guitar and the way it plays . Yet , I bought

an ES-355 VOS , and received a guitar tossed together with parts from USA , Japan , and china .

I don't mind a few blems here and there but I have black spots coming through the finish , probably

"knots" in the wood , that when painted eventually work the way through the paint .

I can dive bomb with the trem over and over , with very little tuning problems , I guess I am lucky as

some claim it can't be used . Correctly install your strings , then stretch them , perhaps that shall help .

I see no where stated that there is a production of only 300 , I only point this out , as the serial numbers

are indeed a number of the order . But NOT 44 of 300 ect . I think we are scammed into an endless supply of

AL-999s , VOS but NOT VOS , inspired by , yet put together by gibson when and how they chose .

Really , a bridge made in JAPAN , WTH are they thinking . HHMM maybe a cheap guitar deserves a cheap bridge ?

Than can't be , this guitar was not cheap , yes I know that is subjective .

Pros = Plays and sounds great . Over all a 10 .

The "little" "things" , as the japan items , poor gold finish , cheap metal parts , less the tuners "grovers " I guess

until grover decides that they will make VOS tuners in Japan , they will not be owned by Gibson.

Over all a 5 due to the poor attention to quality in the DETAILS .

Musicians tend to be very Picky in my thoughts , so why would gibson decide to let use eat cake .

I would rather have fine bread then bad cake :)

Cons = Cheap parts covered in cheap plated gold , even the numbered dial under the Vari-Tone switch ,

That might be cardstock with marker gold :) . At least the tuners are nicely plated , Oh wait , they are

Grovers , that explains that . Thankfully they were not VOS uh um , they would have japan or china typed under them and the gold would be all flaked off by now . Too much brown in the ebony on the fretboard . At least dye it black .

Not sure what all the talk is about the tremolo arm , mine is just fine , Pointed straight backward it fits in the

Epiphone , branded gibson case just fine . Is this case VOS also . Odd how the case was Made in Canada .

Not sure if just the tag in the case, or it was in reference to Alex , this case was made in Japan , So how

can it " yes even the case " be VOS ? I guess I will park the case as to save the screened signature on the cheap case , did you look at the latches and the handle . Stop at the store and you will see Epiphone ES lines come in

that case . Not , VOS 335s ect . Shame again .

I saw some blatting about the volute , I am sure you were looking at the wildwood pics , you need to notice

that he guitar hangs higher when placed on thier display hook backwards . The volute is not anywhere near the 1st , 2nd , nor 3rd frets . Play one first before you "think" something up . The volute is just fine .

I am sorry this post is all over the place , and I will gladly reply to any of your concerns .

I would also like any help as my "g-string" does not ring . It guickly chokes off . I have changed it three times

it must be that bridge , or the insert it rides one , I can play it open and every fret to the end , it does not ring out like the other 5 , it just dies out , I would love to fix that . Any ideas ?

There are plenty of ALs to go around now , privatereserve.com ,americanmusical.com , wildwood , and the guitar center have them as I post .

Good luck to you all , and thank you SuperD for the heads up , wildwood is a super place to deal with . Did I mention I love saving 8% sales tax also .

How do you know the long travel bridge was made in Japan? How do you know the case was made in China? I have a CS 356 from the Custom Shop made in 2004 and the TKL case it came with looks very similar to the Lifeson case in design and it says made in Canada just like the Lifeson case. Just because it looks like an Epiphone case does not mean it is an "Epiphone, branded Gibson case." Yes the stock arm does fit nicely in the case and actually works very well. But, it is not the correct arm for this guitar nor are the aftermarket replacements. How you can "dive bomb with the trem arm over and over" and it not go out of tune? Even Alex never used that arm. Ask Sean Ghannam from the Rush tribute band, Toronto Airport, he has played several 355s from the 70's and 60's with the Lyre Vibrola and he will tell you these things go out of tune ver easily. What you refer to as staying in tune may be relative. Usually the guitar goes flat, but may stay in tune with itself, that does not mean it is tuned to pitch. The only way to get a guitar like this to return to pitch is to have the nut slots carved a bit wider than usual and use graphite in the nut and saddle slots (even then, you can only use it sparingly). If you got a guitar where Gibson actually carved the slots bigger rather than smaller, then I believe Santa Clause is eating cookies in my kitchen. Gibson notoriously carves the slots too small. I feel your pain if you have black spots peaking through the paint. Mine is as white as snow all the way through. My only complaint is the f holes could have been painted in a bit better. But, mine actually looks pretty good. Not as bad as some I have seen. On Gibson hollows and semi hollows the f holes are usually painted in black. Black is an easier color to cover the wood. White is obviously very difficult to cover the bare wood. Believe it or not, this is the first Gibson that will probably not go to my luthier for a set up. All I had to do was carve the high E nut slot a bit wider, adjust the action, adjust the truss rod, set the intonation, and drop a bit of nail polish on the D saddle to stop the rattle. All very subtle changes and it plays fantastic. I will admit it sounds fantastic. The 57s are nice pickups. Not as nice as a real PAF or even a PAF clone, but they sound good enough to not replace them. I agree with you that Gibson customer service sucks. That is common knowledge around here.

We know the bridges are made in Japan because it says so stamped on the bridge underneath! The case made in China? - check the leather tag on the accesories compartment & you will see a "Made in Canada" tag - appropiate for this artist's model if you ask me. I believe we all need to keep in mind that these works of art are HAND MADE - this is not some computer-manufactured kitchen appliance which is going to have flawless construction, perfect paint and zero variance from one to another. The little diferences & small issues everyone seems to bring up are merely reminders of this guitar's hand-made origins. What difference, tone-wise, could the Japanese bridge possibly make, as long as it is made to Gibson's specs? The playability and tone on mine are simply incredible, and no minor finish flaws or Japanese-made parts are going to take away from that. I think its time for all of us to play and enjoy our guitars, and look past the minor B.S. As the old saying goes, "Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things!"

I did not know the bridge was made in Japan. These Harmonica bridges were originally made by Schaller in Germany which would not have been USA anyway. I guess either Schaller is making them now in Japan or since Schaller stopped making them, Gibson had them manufactured in Japan. Oh well. I agree with Superdick2112. I could care less. The axe rocks and that is all that matters. I was upset over the trem arm at first. Even before they released it. But, I actually like the stock arm at this point. I am off to see the boys in Philly tonight. I just put the Lifeson back in the case and put on my Caress of Steel t-shirt and am ready to go!!

Wondo no offense . Yet the fact you jumped right into the " how do you know the bridge was made in Japan " tells me in part

you see the surface with no details . I am simply trying to find answers to the " WHY" and "HOW"(S) of this guitar .

Musicians are overall " perfectionists and do in fact pay close attention to details . I have not had the ability to

check Alex's guitar . Yet I must say some of the details do not make sense . I have no clue why you think an item

made in Japan equals one made in Germany . In this industry we do not strive to purchase products MiJ , when there

are nicely crafted intstruments and gear made in Germany . You even say in your post " the trem arm is not the "correct" arm .

If this item is VOS = vintage old stock , then I would expect it to be just that . If an item is no longer available then at least

get an accurate and quality replacement . If players can get the correct trem arm of various part suppliers , that furthers my point . VOS , get the best , someone from Gibson did not know the trem arm was wrong , and if they did know , they just made one up instead of getting the correct ones ? On the dive bombing part , let me be very clear . Dive bombing on this guitar is not

even close to dive bombing on my Jackson SL1 with locked nut and bridge . I cannot even get the strings to come close to slack

the trem part has "felt" that keeps it from going that low , and if you took it off you would mar the guitar . Yes I can press it down

over and over , having perfect pitch lets me know if the guitar is out , one string or all . Simply stating I am glad mine works very well

and new and tight . I did state " I can dive bomb with the trem over and over ,(( with very little tuning problems)) , I guess I am lucky as

some claim it can't be used " that was my quote . I will gladly entertain you with a video clip of my guitars trem action . It is no floyd rose .

Yet it is very usable , I am not sure how well they wear but time will tell .

I do love my guitar , do not get me wrong . I payed for , what is an " Artist inspired by " " VOS " guitar and I do not think

that is what anyone purchasing these received . Why beat me for that ?

Time to crank some tunes .

Hi all ' date='

I don't mind a few blems here and there but I have black spots coming through the finish , probably

"knots" in the wood , that when painted eventually work the way through the paint .

I can dive bomb with the trem over and over , with very little tuning problems , I guess I am lucky as

some claim it can't be used . Correctly install your strings , then stretch them , perhaps that shall help .

I see no where stated that there is a production of only 300 , I only point this out , as the serial numbers

are indeed a number of the order . But NOT 44 of 300 ect . I think we are scammed into an endless supply of

AL-999s ,

Odd how the case was Made in Canada .

[/quote']

Ah, good post, thanks! I've been wondering about those spots since I saw my guitar first time in the store. I felt like speaking up, but not after that long of a wait. Makes sense too, a bit of light buffing with Dunlop 65 did nothing to the spots. I figured if it they were caused by Yorkville setting up the guitar, they'd be on the surface. Makes me feel a bit better now.

Yeah I haven't had major tuning issues using the tremolo. I find I use it, re-tune, use it again, re-tune and it's good to go for a whole session. I let any of my guitar sits out to acclimatize and they are better for using the trems.

Now you mention it, there really hasn't been any thing, even included with the guitar, that says "of 300" .

I kind of figured they would make more than 300, these guitars look so cool they're going to be pretty popular.

lol Case made in Canada, I had to laugh at that. Made here, then sent to Gibson where the guitar was made, then sent back up here when sold to me.

Yeah those harmonica bridges, the good Schaller ones, were made in Germany.. There's ones on eBay that have photos: "made in Japan". After doing lots of "part research" cause I wanted to make my own Lifeson 355, now I have a real Gibson one of course, I gathered lots of parts photos. Ibanez is actually labeled under one, but I've never seen photos of any on their guitars. Only on the Gibson L5-S and Alex's 355.

Speaking of Schaller, I put some nice gold strap locks on my 69 now. Love that belted in feeling.

I would also like any help as my "g-string" does not ring . It guickly chokes off . I have changed it three times

it must be that bridge ' date=' or the insert it rides one , I can play it open and every fret to the end , it does not ring out like the other 5 , it just dies out , I would love to fix that . Any ideas ?

[/quote']

Mine also, can't believe this got past the guys at Wildwood during setup as the guitar plays beautifully apart from those clean amplified passages that really make it stand out..........

Any help with this one anyone............

As for the case being made in Canada, the case for my 96 Les Paul Standard was also made in Canada so maybe thats the norm for Gibson cases..........?????

Hi all ' date='

Thanks to SuperD2112 in the beginning of May he said "wildwood" has a few in stock .

I was in a panic , I had been reading the forum for a few weeks and never thought I might

have a problem getting one . I ordered my 355 from wildwood on the 3rd of May . They called

me on the 5th to confirm and had it shipped overnight and had it on Tue's the 6th .

I have read and read the posts . Plenty good and a few , well you have to deal with some anyhow .

I am trying to remember most of the " issues " people had with the guitar . I have some as well .

I read a post , it is an inspired by not a VOS ? Click on this http://www.gibsoncustom.com/inspiredby/Alex_Lifeson_ES-355.html

you will see Inspired by then Alex Lifeson ES-355 VOS .

Gibson is messed up as far as customer relations and or accountability .

If this is a VOS as Gibson states , Why is the " long travel " bridge made in JAPAN ???

That blew it for me . I do love the guitar and the way it plays . Yet , I bought

an ES-355 VOS , and received a guitar tossed together with parts from USA , Japan , and china .

AL-999s , VOS but NOT VOS , inspired by , yet put together by gibson when and how they chose .

Really , a bridge made in JAPAN , WTH are they thinking . HHMM maybe a cheap guitar deserves a cheap bridge ?

Than can't be , this guitar was not cheap , yes I know that is subjective .

Pros = Plays and sounds great . Over all a 10 .

The "little" "things" , as the japan items , poor gold finish , cheap metal parts , less the tuners "grovers " I guess

until grover decides that they will make VOS tuners in Japan , they will not be owned by Gibson.

Over all a 5 due to the poor attention to quality in the DETAILS .

Musicians tend to be very Picky in my thoughts , so why would gibson decide to let use eat cake .

I would rather have fine bread then bad cake [-o<

Cons = Cheap parts covered in cheap plated gold , even the numbered dial under the Vari-Tone switch ,

That might be cardstock with marker gold ](*,) . At least the tuners are nicely plated , Oh wait , they are

Grovers , that explains that . Thankfully they were not VOS uh um , they would have japan or china typed under them and the gold would be all flaked off by now . Too much brown in the ebony on the fretboard . At least dye it black .

Not sure what all the talk is about the tremolo arm , mine is just fine , Pointed straight backward it fits in the

Epiphone , branded gibson case just fine . Is this case VOS also . Odd how the case was Made in Canada .

Not sure if just the tag in the case, or it was in reference to Alex , this case was made in Japan , So how

can it " yes even the case " be VOS ? I guess I will park the case as to save the screened signature on the cheap case , did you look at the latches and the handle . Stop at the store and you will see Epiphone ES lines come in

that case . Not , VOS 335s ect . Shame again .

I saw some blatting about the volute , I am sure you were looking at the wildwood pics , you need to notice

that he guitar hangs higher when placed on thier display hook backwards . The volute is not anywhere near the 1st , 2nd , nor 3rd frets . Play one first before you "think" something up . The volute is just fine .

I am sorry this post is all over the place , and I will gladly reply to any of your concerns .

it must be that bridge , or the insert it rides one , I can play it open and every fret to the end , it does not ring out like the other 5 , it just dies out , I would love to fix that . Any ideas ?

There are plenty of ALs to go around now , privatereserve.com ,americanmusical.com , wildwood , and the guitar center have them as I post .

Good luck to you all , and thank you SuperD for the heads up , wildwood is a super place to deal with . Did I mention I love saving 8% sales tax also .

yes, the Alex Lifeson is part of the "Inspired By" series of guitars. all "Inspired By" guitars have a production limit of 300. no scams here.

Also, VOS stands for "vintage original spec", not "vintage old stock". The VOS program started in '06, and basically focuses on a finish process we use to make many of our Historic guitars (and the AL is not one of these) look like they are lightly aged. it has nothing to do with using old stock parts...

"Custom Admin" - I believed it was VOS all along because of what the Gibson Custom website says not what other people said.....??????

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/inspiredby/Alex_Lifeson_ES-355.html

What does Gibson have to say on this as I bought mine thinking it was "Vintage Original Spec" as you have advertised it on your website and now I'm in the UK with my guitar....????

Any advise

Johnny

VOS or Vintage Original Spec

To me this means it should be very very close to the real one in size and shape and finish.

But this one is not. Lets start with a few items

1) Trem Arm too long

2) Horn or Ears Size is off

3) Neck size is off, if it was a true VOS the nut size would be 1 9/16" and not 1 11/16"

Still waiting for mine, So I can't see what else there is.

But lets call it what it really is, a white ES-355 that looks like Alex Lifesons ES-355

Nothing more nothing less.

"Custom Admin" - I believed it was VOS all along because of what the Gibson Custom website says not what other people said.....??????

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/inspiredby/Alex_Lifeson_ES-355.html

What does Gibson have to say on this as I bought mine thinking it was "Vintage Original Spec" as you have advertised it on your website and now I'm in the UK with my guitar....????

Any advise

Johnny

unfortunately the website is wrong. This guitar was never intended to be VOS, and i actually addressed that in these forums (i'm not sure if it was in this thread or in response to another post asking if it was glossy or VOS). i have asked our web guys to rectify the error.

VOS or Vintage Original Spec

To me this means it should be very very close to the real one in size and shape and finish.

i appreciate that this is your interperetation of VOS, but as i said above, VOS refers mainly to the finish process, and applies mostly to our Historic line of instruments. for more info on VOS, please click here:

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/VOS/index.html

Archived