Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RUSH will perform live on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report Wednesday' date=' July 16th!! The show airs at 11:30pm et/pt. Please check your local listings for air times. This rare TV appearance is one you don't want to miss!

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/07/15/1667858-rush-no-not-him-to-guest-on-colbert

[/quote']

The detective strikes again! Thanks for that info!

Thanks Admin............

Again, no one new anything and asked me to package it, freight it to a non Gibson address ...doh (I presume WildWood Guitars), then it would get forward to the Custom Shop I believe, then my replacement would get shipped out.

Meanwhile I pay up £50 ($110) to freight my case over to the USA, wait god only knows how long to get my replacement.....its a case and they cost peanuts to make in comparison to the guitar, why can't they just send me a new one, I'll donate this to charity with eBay proceeds if they would......but they won't.

I hate my case now, yet everyone at Customer Services is so nice on the phone but don't give the answers a fine reputable company such as Gibson should give.......

Whats your address...?

Send Photos of the problem.....?

Your new case is in the post, sorry to have caused you any undue concerns, we always like to help our customers anyway we can.....

well, there is a corporate policy in place that deals with situations where a guitar is bought in a country other than the one you live in. i posted this about a week ago as an FYI to a consumer in Australia who was talking to a dealer in Canada about a purchase:

Also, i feel duty bound to tell you that if you are considering buying a new guitar from another country, this will impact your warranty...the warranty is only good in country of purchase, so if you buy a guitar in Canada, or the US, or wherever and later find you need warranty coverage, you will have to ship the guitar back to the country of purchase--at your own expense both ways--for coverage.

i guess that's where they're coming from in your case...regrets :{

enduroexpert

You are going to be waiting a long time for that case.

My dealer has been waiting on some cases he had to get replaced by gibson it been months and these are stock cases,

not ones that have signatures silk-screened on them.

well' date=' there is a corporate policy in place that deals with situations where a guitar is bought in a country other than the one you live in. i posted this about a week ago as an FYI to a consumer in Australia who was talking to a dealer in Canada about a purchase:

[i']Also, i feel duty bound to tell you that if you are considering buying a new guitar from another country, this will impact your warranty...the warranty is only good in country of purchase, so if you buy a guitar in Canada, or the US, or wherever and later find you need warranty coverage, you will have to ship the guitar back to the country of purchase--at your own expense both ways--for coverage.[/i]

i guess that's where they're coming from in your case...regrets :{

Hi Custom Admin

I can accept that, its just a sad "case" thats all..........

Apart from yourself who as been involved and tried to find the info we require, all other sources through Customer Services have been so "mechanical & automated", apart from the staff being the the nice polite guys that they are there seems to be no concern at all coming from Gibson, no personal touch whatsoever.

It would be nice to get Alex himself involved with this one, but I'm sure all contractual small print to do with his Royalties & legalities stop him from doing so. If he has viewed this thread I'd bet he's absolutely gutted with the outcome. We'll never know unless our informative forumite gets to have a chat with him at the store appearance, we'll wait with anticipation.

I reckon he'll be well embarrassed when asked, especially if he as to keep his mouth shut because of his contract terms........

It would be nice to get Alex himself involved with this one' date=' but I'm sure all contractual small print to do with his Royalties & legalities stop him from doing so. If he has viewed this thread I'd bet he's absolutely gutted with the outcome. We'll never know unless our informative forumite gets to have a chat with him at the store appearance, we'll wait with anticipation.

I reckon he'll be well embarrassed when asked, especially if he as to keep his mouth shut because of his contract terms........[/quote']

What outcome? He's playing the same guitar we have on tour every night. And I like to think I know what he'd say if you came up to him, complaining about a misaligned silkscreen on the case: "get a life!"

So everyone: stop complaining. I know you're fantasizing that Gibson will realize their horrible, terrible mistake and build 300 new guitars with a volute an inch higher and the horns a little different and spend $$$ making the necks identical to Alex's and have Alex hand-deliver each of them to us for free. With a new case. IT WON'T HAPPEN. NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN. There are no words that can come from Gibson that will make you happy. Perspective has been totally lost.

no kidding. maybe we should all get off the internet and go play guitar.

With a cosmetic flaw in my guitar case?! Impossible!

.......................that Gibson will realize their horrible' date=' terrible mistake and build 300 new guitars with a volute an inch higher and the horns a little different and spend $$$ making the necks identical to Alex's and have Alex hand-deliver each of them to us for free. With a new case.

![/quote']

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!

](*,)

With a cosmetic flaw in my guitar case?! Impossible!

Chill out TurkeyT.........

Just had word from Gibson and the Production Manager at the Custom Shop is having a meeting tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss the issue of the volute........

Also, I got a life mate, I've been playing my wonderful AL-120 most of the day and dropping in on the forum also, and I'll probably be doing the same tomorrow.....

The silkscreen on the case will wear off in time if you are like me and plan on using this guitar for gigs and stuff.

Now if Alex signed the case himself, then I'll put it into safe keeping. But to me a case is a case.

no kidding. maybe we should all get off the internet and go play guitar.

Even Harder to play now after reading this . I wonder what the " second batch " will look like .

If Musicians Friend & 123 both have one for sale at this time ' date=' on 07/16 right now . I am wondering

how these articles were out , you can still buy them . I was assured that there were only 300 going to be made and it was " not a scam " I forget about the play on words they use , perhaps the 300 we bought were for feedback so the next set is correct ?

/Cheers

Please Notice the articles on Alex's 355 "

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5202

Alex Lifeson ES-355:

Even another both from " REPUTABLE WEBSITES and COMPANY "

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ArtistsAndEvents/Stories/new-gibson-custom-inspired-by/

Alex Lifeson ES-355:

For 33 years, Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has personified the consummate rock innovator. His 1976 Gibson ES-355 has been by his side throughout most of his ride to stardom, both in the studio and on the road. The guitar, which has been responsible for many of Rush’s breathtaking layered soundscapes and helped Lifeson expand the definition of popular music, continues to be an integral part of the Lifeson’s live shows.

With a laminated plain maple top, back and rims, an alpine white finish, and gold hardware, the Alex Lifeson ES-355 model features an adjustable wide-travel Tune-O-Matic bridge and a Maestro long vibrola tailpiece. The three-piece maple neck is designed with a 1960’s slim taper profile. Also included in the design are ’57 classic pickups and a 6 position Vari-Tone switch with a bypass switch. This model sold out in record time and the demand for a second line continues.

yes' date=' the Alex Lifeson is part of the "Inspired By" series of guitars. all "Inspired By" guitars have a production limit of 300. no scams here.

Also, VOS stands for "vintage original spec", not "vintage old stock". The VOS program started in '06, and basically focuses on a finish process we use to make many of our Historic guitars (and the AL is not one of these) look like they are lightly aged. it has nothing to do with using old stock parts...[/quote']

No way Not a chance of any more . We say what we say , and say what we mean /wink

I think this is getting worse . Nah it is just me

/cheers

yes, sold out to stores, not sold out in the marketplace. The quote in red that is making several of you so berserk only references a "demand" for a 2nd run.

I can tell you that there has been no internal talk of any 2nd run of these guitars, because any guitar that gets done in the Inspired By series is contractually limited to 300 units. Please feel free to investigate any of the other Inspired By guitars that you wish and show me evidence where we exceeded 300 units.

So if we do anything else with Alex, it will be a different guitar.

everyone please...take a breath.

wow!!..this thread has gone wild! Yeah, can still say that I'm a little bummed about the AL 355 not being a VOS (not to misuse Gibson's VOS term, vintage original spec.) so, more particularly am disappointed that it isn't AN EXACT REPLICA OF ALEX'S 1976 355...(didn't they do that with Jimmy Page, SRV, Clapton, Andy Summers and Eddy VH?

...but I'm still really happy to have one..yeah, it's still a very cool guitar for a new Gibson.

Hey check this out!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-Gibson-ES-355-Stereo-Beautiful-Vintage-Tone_W0QQitemZ160262243948QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

somebody repainted a 1966 355, white!!! that's like vintage blasphemy!! it's still really cool though!

wow!!..this thread has gone wild! Yeah' date=' can still say that I'm a little bummed about the AL 355 not being a VOS (not to misuse Gibson's VOS term, vintage original spec.) so, more particularly am disappointed that it isn't AN EXACT REPLICA OF ALEX'S 1976 355...(didn't they do that with Jimmy Page, SRV, Clapton, Andy Summers and Eddy VH?

...but I'm still really happy to have one..yeah, it's still a very cool guitar for a new Gibson.

Hey check this out!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-Gibson-ES-355-Stereo-Beautiful-Vintage-Tone_W0QQitemZ160262243948QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

somebody repainted a 1966 355, white!!! that's like vintage blasphemy!! it's still really cool though![/quote']

Hey Sean,

Any chance of getting a picture of the back of the headstock of your 71 from this perspective?

template-1.jpg

Hi All,

After waiting many agonizing weeks, I finally picked up AL 107 from a dealer in Charleston, SC yesterday. How are these serial numbers issued? I know of higher numbers being shipped to dealers weeks earlier. I suppose they are not issued consecutively. Anyway, the guitar is completely amazing! It sounds absolutely huge! I have several Les pauls and an ES335 but this one has a great big fat tone (several actually). I'm playing through a Marshall JVM half stack, which is an incredible amp in its own right. (BTW, Alex prefers Marshall in the studio. 80% of Snakes and Arrows was recorded with various Marshall amps). One wierd thing...mine does not have the sticker on the inside with the serial number and model number written on it. It seems to me that many of you are being really anal about a few small issues. The volute location is no big deal. It certainly does not render the guitar unplayable as one or two have whined. I've owned many 70's Gibsons (SGs and LPs mainly) and the volute is in a common location. The trem arm does not extend past the body on mine but it seems like an easy adjustment to make. Remember this is an "Inspired By" guitar not an exact copy. Just plug it in and have a blast!

-Eric

PS, A Farewell to Kings was the first thing I played on mine.

Hi All' date='

After waiting many agonizing weeks, I finally picked up AL 107 from a dealer in Charleston, SC yesterday. How are these serial numbers issued? I know of higher numbers being shipped to dealers weeks earlier. I suppose they are not issued consecutively. Anyway, the guitar is completely amazing! It sounds absolutely huge! I have several Les pauls and an ES335 but this one has a great big fat tone (several actually). I'm playing through a Marshall JVM half stack, which is an incredible amp in its own right. (BTW, Alex prefers Marshall in the studio. 80% of Snakes and Arrows was recorded with various Marshall amps). One wierd thing...mine does not have the sticker on the inside with the serial number and model number written on it. It seems to me that many of you are being really anal about a few small issues. The volute location is no big deal. It certainly does not render the guitar unplayable as one or two have whined. I've owned many 70's Gibsons (SGs and LPs mainly) and the volute is in a common location. The trem arm does not extend past the body on mine but it seems like an easy adjustment to make. Remember this is an "Inspired By" guitar not an exact copy. Just plug it in and have a blast!

-Eric

PS, A Farewell to Kings was the first thing I played on mine. [/quote']

Did you get yours from Ye Olde music ?

Archived