Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

At one of the online stores , MF.com / they have plenty of al-355s , plus they are 100 bucks cheaper now , and there was even one in the scratch and dent the other day . With a 45 day return policy smile.gif . If I see another in the scratch and dent I might just buy it to play in the rain

and leave it outside , or perhaps take my pented up anger out on that one , as soon I see another scratch and dent for $2999.99 I will pull an old Kiss stunt and smash that one instead . Someone has a bum case as I recall , I will be glad to send you that case .

Oh , what can I do . Maybe if I stopped playing anything but the AL I might get used to the , oops volute , but I have some real favorites , the AL's volute is so depressing it has not been out of its case in weeks . I am going to have the volute shaved off as it is useless and incorrect .

I will post picks after it is refinished in that area . I really do not think this guitar will be worth anymore today than next year or in 20 years .

Actually it is worth less and less as I am seeing . People trying to sell on Ebay for more than they payed . Yet they are getting less , minus the fees ect , and you can still get them new for 3699.99 free shipping . I am not suggesting anyone buy this guitar . I did , and as much as I love the sound , playability , and looks . The scammed volute makes me nutz . Someone post the real volute and the imposter volute again :).

/cheers

/cheers are falling

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eusa_whistle.gif

Hi! Ron . It's me. So now I'm selling AL193(as new) insted of it.

I'm doing RUSH tribute band here in Japan.

Check them if you have time. Bit old and we did only a few practice.

(because the drummer is always changing. We called our drummer Neil Piart-Time.)

Thank you.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgJmKOWW1E

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=YpZW_xNgfl4

http://totsugekiichiban.nobody.jp/

Hey Koichi,

Awesome job with the band!!! Congrats on picking up another AL 355. Keep rocking!!!

P.S. if you know of anybody looking to sell a Signature Co. guitar....let me know, I have been looking to buy one for a while.

Good luck and best regards,

ron2112

I really do not think this guitar will be worth anymore today than next year or in 20 years .

Actually it is worth less and less as I am seeing . People trying to sell on Ebay for more than they payed . Yet they are getting less , minus the fees ect , and you can still get them new for 3699.99 free shipping . I am not suggesting anyone buy this guitar . I did , and as much as I love the sound , playability , and looks . The scammed volute makes me nutz . Someone post the real volute and the imposter volute again :).

Oh, I dissagree. The AL will definitely increase in value. The volute is a non issue. One could even argue it may increase the value of the guitar as a rare design flaw or oddity. For instance, Gibson released that hideous, unplayable reverse Flying V and had collectors drooling all over it.

Some Ebay sellers have accepted less because new ALs are still available from several dealers. As soon as they're gone, values will start rising. Only a handful of ALs have been on Ebay and half have sold for more than MAP.

If you love the sound, playability and looks of the guitar, then why get rid of it? Exactly what is the problem? Obviously the volute doesn't hinder the playability of the instrument for you. Just curious...

-Eric

Oh' date=' I dissagree. The AL will definitely increase in value. The volute is a non issue. One could even argue it may increase the value of the guitar as a rare design flaw or oddity. For instance, Gibson released that hideous, unplayable reverse Flying V and had collectors drooling all over it.

Some Ebay sellers have accepted less because new ALs are still available from several dealers. As soon as they're gone, values will start rising. Only a handful of ALs have been on Ebay and half have sold for more than MAP.

If you love the sound, playability and looks of the guitar, then why get rid of it? Exactly what is the problem? Obviously the volute doesn't hinder the playability of the instrument for you. Just curious...

-Eric [/quote']I agree 100%, no way I'll be getting rid of AL-124 anytime soon (or ever). I know after all 300 are sold that those without any serious fit/finish issues will eventually hold value or go up over the years. It is unique, it is inspired by an extremely popular artist and there are only 300 of them, and I friggin' love it volute and all. It's inspiring and fun to play. I too was peeved by the volute, only because it's not like Al's original, not because it's an issue for my playing at all. And it is kind of a conversational point on the guitar that makes it even more unique. I think Gibson did mess up on the volute issue and I wish they'd be more up-front on how/why it happened. But I am happy with AL-124 and I'm ready to move on and enjoy my AL-355.

P.S. if you know of anybody looking to sell a Signature Co. guitar....let me know' date=' I have been looking to buy one for a while.[/quote']

Hi! RON

Thanks for checking my tribute band.

Here's another my lucky story.

I found a person who are selling it in RUSH THML in a couple of years ago.

I just joined this circle and soon after I found her post about selling it.

Miracly, there's no competition at that time.

She told me that her husband purchased new directly from Russ Heinl on a trip to Toronto in 1988 or 1989.

It seems that all person who obtaind it I know (on the web ) purchased it directory from Russ himself or purchased at the guitar shop in Toronto or near in Canada.

I guess they were sold very few in the US.

And means, no one will sell it here in Japan because no one has it.

There's a only little hope in Canada,I think.

But you know, anything can happen.

I guess you know this.

http://www.geocities.com/signatureguitar/

Yes,good luck and best regards,

Koichi2112

• 2 weeks later...
Hey ' date='guys any of you have finish bleed mines starting to turn blueish around the back binding edge ? [/quote']

Mine came with those finish bleeds....but my guitar tech was able to buff them out a little!

I figured I would leave the guitar out on a stand to promote the yellowing process that every white guitar goes thru.........once it yellows a little....the finish blemishes will be harder to see.

I only bought this guitar because I'm a Lifeson fan......not because I was a Gibson fan. As soon as someone else comes out with a Lifeson Sig......this guitar will be eBay bound.............but until then, I'm keeping it. Hopefully Alex will snap out of this current phase and get back to using PRS's again.

Now that would be an AWESOME Signature if they did it!!!!!

Mine came with those finish bleeds....but my guitar tech was able to buff them out a little!

I figured I would leave the guitar out on a stand to promote the yellowing process that every white guitar goes thru.........once it yellows a little....the finish blemishes will be harder to see.

I only bought this guitar because I'm a Lifeson fan......not because I was a Gibson fan. As soon as someone else comes out with a Lifeson Sig......this guitar will be eBay bound.............but until then' date=' I'm keeping it. Hopefully Alex will snap out of this current phase and get back to using PRS's again.

Now that would be an AWESOME Signature if they did it!!!!![/quote']

I have black dots coming through my finish as I stated before . I had 3 very small dots that have reproduced to 7 now , the 3 first ones are getting larger , but if you look closely it is from the wood UNDER the finish .

warranty says no finish is covered for any reason , so I basically take it as the best F/u that cannot be fixed on this guitar =P~

I have to ask about the trem arm. I finally decided to TRY and put this on.. I can't even put this on the guitar! The angle of my arm must be too much as even with the handle of the arm touching the guitar/binding, I cant get the screw in the hole. The base of the arm doesnt sit flush, it's on an angle and the screw can only go in angled into the bridge which doesnt even work. The screw by itself goes into the hole so I know there isnt a problem there..

so now what? either I bed the arm somehow or maybe the bridge angle isn't straight and is angled back..

Living in canada means a real hassle to send it to Gibson in the US and pay the hefty shipping charges... do you know what had to be done to the bridge to make it level? When I called gibson customer service they said they werent aware of any trem arm issues and none of them have been sent out with a shorter arm..

when did you send in your guitar?

Like a few other AL-355 owners, I found a replacement arm online (I think it was Allparts) and once installed it was a perfect match to Al's original, shorter so it doesn't hang over the edge, proper clearance over the knobs and perfect fit in the case when installed and pointing straight back. Seems to have the proper angle and everything. Still strange Gibson didn't go with original specs on the arm (and volute), but from seeing them up close at a show it looked like Al's own prototype had the longer arm, and I assume the weird volute so he must have signed off. I checked Allparts website today and couldn't find the replacement arm again so maybe they are out, but I found a few on some other websites with a google search so they are still out there, about $40. If Gibson won't send you a replacement that might be the only option.

elvtnedge Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 12:01:13 AM

Living in canada means a real hassle to send it to Gibson in the US and pay the hefty shipping charges... do you know what had to be done to the bridge to make it level? When I called gibson customer service they said they werent aware of any trem arm issues and none of them have been sent out with a shorter arm..

when did you send in your guitar?[quote}

I'm sure it would be a hassle and costly as well. I returned it in the latter part of June and I believe the issue was the angle of the bend and not the bridge. The only thing with the new arm they gave me is that I have to swing it over the Tailpiece because it won't fit over the knobs.

Regards,

AL 028

elvtnedge Posted: Friday' date=' August 29, 2008 12:01:13 AM

when did you send in your guitar?[quote}

I'm sure it would be a hassle and costly as well. I returned it in the latter part of June and I believe the issue was the angle of the bend and not the bridge. The only thing with the new arm they gave me is that I have to swing it over the Tailpiece because it won't fit over the knobs.

Regards,

AL 028[/quote']

And gibson told me they havent issued new arms... I'll have to call them tonight and see if someone else can help me there.. they should send me a new arm....

looking at allparts.com and they have an SG arm for $35.00... hmmm

There is your proof that customer service does not know what is going on. Later releases of this model did have the correct arm. There was one up on ebay not too long ago and you could tell from the pictures the arm was correct and the owner of the guitar on ebay either on this forum or over at the Les Paul Forum emailed me and we talked about the guitar and he said the trem arm was correct on that one because he had previously sold another one on ebay that had the incorrect arm. So, whatever they did, they corrected it. I mentioned that the gold plating was too thick when they reinstalled the trem arm tip after putting on the gold plating. The fix is either what Crappy did and that is to buy an aftermarket part and perhaps bend the arm a little bit to your liking, or take the tip off and drill the hole out just a bit to make the hole a bit wider so that the tip will fit further up on the arm as it should be. I believe that Alex has his installed upside down so that it will fit snug back by the tailpiece because he does not use it, then in order to have the handle in the correct position, you have to turn the handle around 180 degrees. As far as the tailpiece problem, that is something that should be looked into in case it is not the trem arm that is the problem.

I called gibson and the guy I talked to today said they cant ship the part to Canada and I should contact Yorkville sound which I did. The guy I talked to at Yorkville had to look at the site but did say the bar should be pointed down. He connected me with a rep who was off till tuesday but I left a message. I'm confident that I can get this issue resolved....

And gibson told me they havent issued new arms... I'll have to call them tonight and see if someone else can help me there.. they should send me a new arm....

looking at allparts.com and they have an SG arm for $35.00... hmmm

How unreal . How can it be , according to Admin. " system Administrator " BTW for the website ,

that everything is fine .

Call customer service and they have not heard of any such thing as the trem arm / bleed through spots /

not even that Volute .

What in the world is Gibson thinking .

I am sending a ton of information to various manufacturers AND Blogging on other guitar websites .

Alex cannot be aware of this bull . Someone , Somewhere can get the word out .

Even if I get a refund that is fine . I will get it . Gibson refuses but Federal Law Trumps state Law and

in New York , we are protected from this . I hate to get rid of it but to cover up this is beyond reasonable.

I am not a walmart fan . If I bought a POS guitart there and one month later I noticed that a knott came out in

the back of the neck . Hey even one that is natural , not even a real mistake . Walmart would say " we are sorry

would you like to get another or your money back .

Gibson will tell you " what are you talking about "

At the risk of repeating myself, for those of you that just cannot take the could-care-less attitude of Gibson, you can probably contact your dealer and tell them that you have been trying all of this time to get answers from Gibson and that you have gotten no where and want to return it due to any or combination of the forementioned problems of bleed spots, binding errors, trem arm, tailpiece, electronics, and of course your friendly neighborhood volute. But, I say the guitar is really a very good guitar, at least the one I own. The volute is actually very shallow, my trem arm is now fine and everything else is pretty much spectacular. (I have one pin-head size bleed spot happening by the tailpiece, but hardly noticable - by the way this is what happens with white finishes sometimes, it will all mellow out over time as the paint begins to fade). I love playing this guitar and the sound is really quite remarkable. I am no idiot when it comes to guitars and I know a good guitar when I play one and this one is good. I own two 1960 Reissue Les Pauls, a Les Paul Custom Peter Frampton, and a CS 356. I have owned several Gibson USA models in the past as well as a couple of Custom Shop guitars and have played many. So, when I say this guitar is good, I have had a lot to compare it to and it definately is a keeper. The neck on my AL is quite a pleasure to play. The volute however, is a constant reminder of the royal screw up by Gibson and their insensitive customer service. Orville Gibson prided his company on the quality of workmanship and the guarentee he stood behind with all of his instruments. My, how things have changed.

Archived