Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

Because its the dealers responsibility to deal with the supplier ' date=' in this case Gibson . And its the dealers resposibility to make sure the buyer is satisfied . . They have more pull with Gibson than you and i because they are buying lots of guitars, not just one at a time like you and I . I think you are missing the point here . Its not penalizing the dealer . But it does become his problem because it was his decision to become a dealer and at that point its his resposibilty to make sure the customer is satisfied . The mark of a good dealer is , Service after the sale . The customer has to come first . If your dealer falls into this category then you dont have a problem because you will be taken care of . Im not sure what problem you had with your AL but why did you accept it ? When you picked the guitar up I assume you inspected it ? At that point if you found a problem that is when your dealer shuold be on the phone with Gibson or whomever the supplier might be . Im not knocking your dealer but it is absolutely his responsibility to you because he sold it to you ! Its Gibsons responsibility to him because they sold it to him . You didnt buy from Gibson, he did .[/quote']

barry2001,

Many of us, I am sure did not notice the volute right away. There were more interesting things to notice about the guitar at first. I agree a bar chord at the first fret is not that problematic. However, try playing any open F maj chord or some E chords on the first fret. I noticed it when I started playing the prelude to Hemispheres. When I played the F maj 9, I said whoa, wait a minute, that shouldn't feel like that. That was right around that time that alpine posted his post in the Artist section of this forum. I then started looking for pictures of 70s 355s to see what the difference really was. I posted it here http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4424 Now, that appeared to me to be a major screw up by Gibson. It is not only historically inaccurate, it is also inaccurate to what Alex's guitar is (considering they state they made a "painstaking recreation of this iconic instrument"). I could live with inaccuracies but when it affects the function of the guitar and the integrity of the model and its investment value, I have a real problem. The other issue I have is that Alex is getting a raw deal. They would have never screwed up like this with one of Page's models, or heaven forbid a Slash model. Now, the big question should be, what will the Custom Shop do about it. My answer is since they only made 300 guitars, they should remake them to spec and send us the correct guitar. I know it is a lot of time and money on Gibson's part, but we spent a lot of cash on this guitar. They should do like any other manufactuer who wants to make things right with the customer. All of you owners of the AL should be upset about this. You paid good money for a guitar that has a major flaw.

I don't know if I fully agree about it being a dealer issue. I guess it would be a good idea to contact the dealer about this issue so they can make contact with the Custom Shop, but I think we do have a direct line on this forum and Admin has been good about getting us answers before and I am sure it will happen here. Again the question is what will Gibson do about it?

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barry.....let me fill you in on something......for those of us who use Mom and Pop stores for dealers.....they don't have any pull with Gibson.........They are to small of potatoes to mess with for Gibson...........Gibson only cares about GC and the BIG chains that buy LOTS and LOTS of guitars. It's funny that you say it's the dealers responsibility.....cause my dealer officially dropped the Gibson brand as of today, July 1st, 2008 over the crappy AL's delivery state and numerous other quality issues that have been becoming more and more frequent for the last year or so!!!! I accepted the guitar after my Guitar dealer put his tech on it for 2 hours....at no cost to me.....at that point, other than the valute, the guitar was ready to receive!!!

Barry.....let me fill you in on something......for those of us who use Mom and Pop stores for dealers.....they don't have any pull with Gibson.........They are to small of potatoes to mess with for Gibson...........Gibson only cares about GC and the BIG chains that buy LOTS and LOTS of guitars. It's funny that you say it's the dealers responsibility.....cause my dealer officially dropped the Gibson brand as of today' date=' July 1st, 2008 over the crappy AL's delivery state and numerous other quality issues that have been becoming more and more frequent for the last year or so!!!! I accepted the guitar after my Guitar dealer put his tech on it for 2 hours....at no cost to me.....at that point, other than the valute, the guitar was ready to receive!!![/quote']

Its still the dealers responsibility to the customer . Apparently you are happy with your purchase so its all a moot point in your case . If you or any others here want something done about it you will have to go through the dealer . Dont take my word for it, ask Admin . Gibson is not going to deal with you directly . Again you did not buy your guitar from Gibson the dealer did . I use a small music store as well and my dealer backs what ever I buy from him . I spend alot of money with him and i expect to get what I paid for and so should everyone here . I remember a few years back I bought a 62 reissue Tele custom and it was delivered with the wrong case . My dealer got on the phone with the Fender rep and made it right . I got the correct case in the end . Again, Service after the sale is the mark of a good dealer . I know it sounds uncaring to you but it dosent matter how big your dealers store is, they still have a responsibility to you as the customer .

How many people who have already received their AL's have an issue with the volute....? I see the what people mean about it being lower than on any other model that has one but it doesn't get in the way of my playing' date=' maybe I have extra long hands or something, but barring that first fret doesn't bother me........

"Gibson Custom" - can anyone answer the qustion about this "Volute" from the Gibson Camp or is it going to be a shunned....? Why can't someone from the bloody Custom Shop just come onto their own forum and have a chat with us about these issues.......???

Just a thought..........[/quote']

Enduroexpert - I agree. I actually find the location of the volute to be rather comfortable for me - fits my hand perfectly. It could be that the new location for the volute was chosen for optimal reinforcement of the weak spot on the peghead. I'm suprised that some people actually find it interferes with barring at the 1st fret...

Enduroexpert - I agree. I actually find the location of the volute to be rather comfortable for me - fits my hand perfectly. It could be that the new location for the volute was chosen for optimal reinforcement of the weak spot on the peghead. I'm suprised that some people actually find it interferes with barring at the 1st fret...

Superdick2112,

I agree, and have previously stated that for me it does not interfere with barring at the first fret. It interferes with other chording at the first fret. Try an open F maj 7 or a F maj 9. If anyone thinks those chords not important, try playing Hemispheres correctly without them. I would agree that the volute problem is not the end of the world. But, it is wrong and the only reason they put it there was to emulate Lifeson's guitar. If they were going to go through that much trouble, they should have got it right. It would not be optimal reinforcement of the weak spot on the peghead, because the optimal spot was where they used to put them in the 1970's. The weak spot is right under the truss rod cavity. They put the valute there to add more wood around an area that had very little wood and was prone to breaking. Where it is now is purely cosmetic and serves no function whatsoever except to be a nuisance and a reminder that Gibson did not produce a "painstaking recreation of this iconic instrument" like they claimed to have done. Collectors of Gibson guitars will surely be aware of such a flaw. How much then is our investment worth?

As I had said in my post where I purchased an inspired by and VOS guitar from Gibson . Then the admin said it was not supposed to say VOS we are " fixing " the website now . They fixed it , surely after I bought the guitar , it no longer says VOS . Call me a belly acher rather than a realist saying these guitars are not correct . From the finish to the volute , from the "ears" to the bridge and the trem arm ,we all got way less then we payed for . If anyone bought it for an investment that is plain crazy . When the neck cracks or breaks above this volute , as the original volute was placed where the necks were cracking and breaking , right behind the truss rod cover don't complain about the value of your Collectable then .

I bought a VOS , but they took the VOS off the add after I bought it claiming it was not supposed to be there . Why would you want an EPi copy to play in bars with ? This one is made just for that . It is a cheap guitar , with cheap appointments , lacking attention to quality and detail , that was way overpriced for the quality we received .

I see the admin is looking into the volute ? What could they possibly do for us ? Shave off the old one and make another useless one an inch higher and paint it ? Nah , being non VOS , it does not have to be where it is supposed to be . Just be glad it was not on the 12th fret .

I only wish this was an epi one , then I would have gotten my moneys worth ,

Cheers

Superdick2112' date='

I agree, and have previously stated that for me it does not interfere with barring at the first fret. It interferes with other chording at the first fret. Try an open F maj 7 or a F maj 9. If anyone thinks those chords not important, try playing Hemispheres correctly without them. I would agree that the volute problem is not the end of the world. But, it is wrong and the only reason they put it there was to emulate Lifeson's guitar. If they were going to go through that much trouble, they should have got it right. It would not be optimal reinforcement of the weak spot on the peghead, because the optimal spot was where they used to put them in the 1970's. The weak spot is right under the truss rod cavity. They put the valute there to add more wood around an area that had very little wood and was prone to breaking. Where it is now is purely cosmetic and serves no function whatsoever except to be a nuisance and a reminder that Gibson did not produce a "painstaking recreation of this iconic instrument" like they claimed to have done. Collectors of Gibson guitars will surely be aware of such a flaw. How much then is our investment worth?[/quote']

I so wanted you to be wrong there but your not, both those chords are hindered by the volute, now I'm just paranoid as.......also cause I'm in the UK and got came over especially for this guitar........

I'm thinkin'......

Hey Boss, I cut the 300 "Big Al" necks a little short..........all that gorgeous expensive wood to waste...!!!!

Lets have a look son........ nah, they'll be fine, no one will ever notice.....

????????? Maybe........

Complete change of mind..........after those two chord positions....that volute doesn't belong there......!!!!!

Right then.......

Not blowing my trumpet but I'm a design engineer and I just did a quick draft 3D model of the neck in Solidworks and did some equally quick FEA (stress analysis) on it to see what we have here, with adequate forces applied in several places to were it generally gets walloped when it falls or get knocked....I'll also do the same in Pro-Engineer/Mechanica when I have the time.........but I'm sure the results will show the same in both software packages.......

The volute is a big deal to allot of people it makes the first fret useless. But what do you think is going to be done about it. I will tell you, nothing will be done about it. That would mean all of us having to send back 300 guitars to Gibson. In addition to that, you would have to wait months to get it back.

The following info is from http://www.gibsoncustom.com/inspiredby/index.html

I wish this was true, but in the case of the AL ES-355 it is not.

The Inspired By series is a limited-edition collection of guitars inspired by

And built to the exact specifications of passionate musicians and artists.

The result? Hand-made instruments crafted at Gibson’s famed Custom Shop, featuring one-of-a-kind looks, style, and tone. The incredible guitars of the Inspired By series will cross every generation and genre of music.

The only possibility of getting anything done is to get your dealer on board . If enough of you do that then something may happen . Remember that one of the things that makes a good dealer is Service after the sale . I can see possibly how the volute could go unoticed at first but those of you that mentioned paint, shotty f holes & glue issues I'm not too sure i would have accepted that as custom shop quality . Lets face it . I thought thats the entire concept of a "custom shop" instrument . They are supposed to be flawless and a cut above the production line instruments . I have three Gibson Custom instruments and they are all impeccable . I could'nt be more satisfied . Thats the reason I laid down the big bucks , because I was after those type of instruments . You may want to get your dealers to look at this forum so they can see that lots of others are unhappy as well . Admin does a great job here at trying to answer questions but in the end you need your dealer to go to bat for you .

barry 2001 you need to understand that all dealers are not equiped with Luthiers . Even chain stores that have a repair shop surely must have great luthiers in one and horrible luthiers in other shops . At MF.com they do not even open the box , that way the buyers cannot say that someone messed with the guitar / thus leaving it to the manufacturer to correct it . Why should someone have to FIX a new guitar that is made and set up by the makers " GIBSON " by the dealer . I do not want anyone messing with my guitar except the maker . Yet the maker clearly states in the warranty that most of these problems are not warranteed . I just hope the VOLUTE will get rectified . Remember any unauthorized repairs , that are made by someone not appointed by Gibson to "fix" your guitar also voids your lifetime warranty . If your dealer is on of those that is just great for you , yet no one touches my instruments except me and my stage hand .

barry2001 wrote : Its still the dealers responsibility to the customer . Apparently you are happy with your purchase so its all a moot point in your case . If you or any others here want something done about it you will have to go through the dealer . Dont take my word for it, ask Admin . Gibson is not going to deal with you directly . Again you did not buy your guitar from Gibson the dealer did . I use a small music store as well and my dealer backs what ever I buy from him . I spend alot of money with him and i expect to get what I paid for and so should everyone here

Let me know how your dealer / repair shop fixes your volute . Then please let us all know so we can run to him and he can fix all of ours .

Since its a glued in neck , the best we can hope for is a new neck installed . I am sure your dealer would welcome the fun , yet he is not touching mine , I will send mine to gibson and get it repaired there . I am not saying your dealer is not the best luthier in the world . IF he is then he should work for gibson and perhaps help this company . Dealers cannot help an incorrect build of an instrument . I really don't think we will get any resolution to the volute which is my only real concern . The volute was originally put in a place to prevent stress fractures , cracks and breaks of the neck near the truss rod nut . This volute is on the AL 355 in the wrong spot . I hope gibson will let us send back our instruments and install a new neck for us . If they are not willing to replace the whole guitar . I do not think we will get anything done unfortunately .

Lastley , Most companies take care of the customers . Sure you try your dealer first . Then you go to the manufacturer . Well since the dealer nor the authorized repair shops are located all over the country and I am sure that means quality is all over the country . I would only let gibson fix my guitar , well at least attempt it :).

/cheers

If it meant a neck replacement, I don't know how keen I would be on that. Now, you would have a brand new guitar with a neck replaced. Not good. Watch your value go down the toilet. Having the volute repaired, that would be impossible. Now, having the neck shaved down to take away the volute, that would be a good option. It would not be period correct, but it would not get in the way of playing and the way the headstock meets the neck would be like any other Gibson prior to and after the 70's. Prone to breakage? Yes, just like any other Gibson. But, easier to play and the length of the back of the neck would be correct. In any case Gibson should be the one to do the repair. Of all the colors to try and match on a guitar, white is very hard to do. You have to have the right shade of white to be correct. Unless Gibson is going to supply its authorized reapir techs with the paint, I would not let any one else touch it.

barry 2001 you need to understand that all dealers are not equiped with Luthiers . Even chain stores that have a repair shop surely must have great luthiers in one and horrible luthiers in other shops . At MF.com they do not even open the box ' date=' that way the buyers cannot say that someone messed with the guitar / thus leaving it to the manufacturer to correct it . Why should someone have to FIX a new guitar that is made and set up by the makers " GIBSON " by the dealer . I do not want anyone messing with my guitar except the maker . Yet the maker clearly states in the warranty that most of these problems are not warranteed . I just hope the VOLUTE will get rectified . Remember any unauthorized repairs , that are made by someone not appointed by Gibson to "fix" your guitar also voids your lifetime warranty . If your dealer is on of those that is just great for you , yet no one touches my instruments except me and my stage hand .

barry2001 wrote : Its still the dealers responsibility to the customer . Apparently you are happy with your purchase so its all a moot point in your case . If you or any others here want something done about it you will have to go through the dealer . Dont take my word for it, ask Admin . Gibson is not going to deal with you directly . Again you did not buy your guitar from Gibson the dealer did . I use a small music store as well and my dealer backs what ever I buy from him . I spend alot of money with him and i expect to get what I paid for and so should everyone here

Let me know how your dealer / repair shop fixes your volute . Then please let us all know so we can run to him and he can fix all of ours .

Since its a glued in neck , the best we can hope for is a new neck installed . I am sure your dealer would welcome the fun , yet he is not touching mine , I will send mine to gibson and get it repaired there . I am not saying your dealer is not the best luthier in the world . IF he is then he should work for gibson and perhaps help this company . Dealers cannot help an incorrect build of an instrument . I really don't think we will get any resolution to the volute which is my only real concern . The volute was originally put in a place to prevent stress fractures , cracks and breaks of the neck near the truss rod nut . This volute is on the AL 355 in the wrong spot . I hope gibson will let us send back our instruments and install a new neck for us . If they are not willing to replace the whole guitar . I do not think we will get anything done unfortunately .

Lastley , Most companies take care of the customers . Sure you try your dealer first . Then you go to the manufacturer . Well since the dealer nor the authorized repair shops are located all over the country and I am sure that means quality is all over the country . I would only let gibson fix my guitar , well at least attempt it :).

/cheers

[/quote']

You have totally missed what i was saying . Im not saying that the dealer should repair the instrument . He should deal with Gibson on getting your wrong guitar righted if you will . Gibson is NOT going to deal with you personally . Your only course of action is through your dealer . If it were me I would get the dealer to look at the forum thread here so he can see that there are indeed issues with alot of others and not just yourself . It may give him some ammunition with Gibson if he lets them know that he knows there are issues with this model . I think its your only course of action . At the end of the day, who did you pay for the instrument ? Your dealer . Whether you like it or not your issues will have to be handled with them . Im not suggesting going with an attitude as that will get you no where . Im with you, I would only want the makers to be working on my guitar . If the dealer values your business im sure he will do all he can to help you . Everyone here seems like that the dealer isnt involved in this in any way . Let me clarify . He obviously didnt build the instrument but is the seller to the public so he is indeed part of the big picture . Im positive if you try to rectify this with Gibson directly without any help from your dealer it will be a much longer process and with likely no results .

Interestingly, there's a comparison review of two examples of the AL 355 on Harmony Central, where the reviewer notes that the volute is much more pronounced on one neck than the other one. If that's really the case, then perhaps the volute placement -- bizarre though it is -- won't necessarily present the same impediment to all players?

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Gibson/Alex+Lifeson+ES-355/10/1

Has anyone changed their strings to a different gauge and if so' date=' what were the results?

Thanks,

AL 028[/quote']

I have not changed the guage on this guitar, but as with any guitar when you change the guage of strings, if going heavier, you need to carve the nut slots and possibly the saddle slots as well as do a truss rod adjustment, and reset the bridge height accordingly and then set the intonation. If going lighter you would just need to do a truss rod adjustment, and reset the bridge height accordingly and then set the intonation. The results are that heavier strings give a richer tone, but you give up some ease of playability. Lighter stings give a thinner tone but provides greater ease of bending, etc. From what I remember, Alex plays .009-.046. They are basically 9's on the top and 10's on the bottom. This way he gets good bends and ease of playability while maintaining good rich tone on the bottom end for chords. I used to play this guage for the longest time, but went back to just straight 10's several years ago. I just find more stability and virtually no breakage with that guage. And, if the guitar is set up correctly there really is not much difference between the two guages. My .02

hey guys..

the volute situation is very strange. I have owned and still own quite a few Gibsons from the early to late 70's and the volute position on them makes sense. As i posted before..the alex 355 is almost like a 70's 355 knockoff guitar ..the features and details really differ from the original guitar. don't know why gibson couldn't just make a vos....just spec it out like the original!!! they had alex's guitar!! must've just been too much trouble for them or something, because they had the resources.

regarding the volute specifically..it's really wierd that it is where it is on the alex 355..because it really serves no purpose!! it's back too far from the weak spot between the neck and the headstock..it's more like a big bump between the first and 2nd fret!! on the 70's gibsons, the volute is just at the very bottom of the headstock and end of the neck..right where the two join. that makes sense..

I have not changed the guage on this guitar' date=' but as with any guitar when you change the guage of strings, if going heavier, you need to carve the nut slots and possibly the saddle slots as well as do a truss rod adjustment, and reset the bridge height accordingly and then set the intonation. If going lighter you would just need to do a truss rod adjustment, and reset the bridge height accordingly and then set the intonation. The results are that heavier strings give a richer tone, but you give up some ease of playability. Lighter stings give a thinner tone but provides greater ease of bending, etc. From what I remember, Alex plays .009-.046. They are basically 9's on the top and 10's on the bottom. This way he gets good bends and ease of playability while maintaining good rich tone on the bottom end for chords. I used to play this guage for the longest time, but went back to just straight 10's several years ago. I just find more stability and virtually no breakage with that guage. And, if the guitar is set up correctly there really is not much difference between the two guages. My .02[/quote']

Thanks Wondo for you .02, it's greatly appreciated (and yours too Lerxstlee). Back in the '70s, Alex used to use 10s as did I, but as I got older; I switched to 9s, because as you pointed out, they're easier to bend. Like many others in this form, I had some issues with my 355, in particular the trem bar and the etching, or lack thereof, on the tailpiece and I returned it to Gibson for them to take care of. At the same time, I sent a set of my strings (Dean Markleys naturally) and had them changed. I just got it back the other day and I'm not happy with the set-up. Both the G and the B strings buzz pretty bad, even when not fretted. Needless to say, it still needs adjustment. I was wondering if anyone else had experience the same thing if they went to a lighter gauge?

Actually, I think I prefer the 10s on this particular Guitar.

Thanks again,

AL 028

Thanks Wondo for you .02' date=' it's greatly appreciated (and yours too Lerxstlee). Back in the '70s, Alex used to use 10s as did I, but as I got older; I switched to 9s, because as you pointed out, they're easier to bend. Like many others in this form, I had some issues with my 355, in particular the trem bar and the etching, or lack thereof, on the tailpiece and I returned it to Gibson for them to take care of. At the same time, I sent a set of my strings (Dean Markleys naturally) and had them changed. I just got it back the other day and I'm not happy with the set-up. Both the G and the B strings buzz pretty bad, even when not fretted. Needless to say, it still needs adjustment. I was wondering if anyone else had experience the same thing if they went to a lighter gauge?

Actually, I think I prefer the 10s on this particular Guitar.

Thanks again,

AL 028

[/quote']

I tried a set of .009s on mine and only had to do minor bridge adjustments (no truss rod tweaking was needed), but the sound was why I went back to .010s - the .009s were lacking bottom end and did not sustain as well (no buzzing, however). They were easier to bend, but I had to return to the better sounding setup of .010s. Thats a shame about your G & B strings - it sounds like maybe your nut was cut too deeply on those two - should be an easy, but much uncalled for, (especially on a very pricy C.S. instrument) fix.

As much as I love this guitar and the way it plays right out of the box (of course minus the fact of the cumbersome valute) my luthier took a look at it and said it was very well set up, but that he could make it better. I said I really like how it plays now. He looked at me and said that if you like how it plays now, you will only like it that much better when I am done with it. I have never been disappointed with his work, so it goes in next week for a set up. I know it will play like a dream when he is done. But, I have to admit, I really am a bit nervous since it plays so well now. Every guitar I have brought to him. I have had the same feeling and have always been glad when I get it back. I will let you know. I think we will bring out the fullest potential of this guitar. That being said, those that are having some issues with buzzing, etc. Do yourself a favor. Spend the money and have it professionally set up. It will be well worth it.

Archived