Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

I used my home x-ray machine and found that the AL has a great Easter egg. It's easy to find:

1. Take guitar out to garage

2. Plug in your jigsaw

3. Cut out whole front of guitar. Remove front of guitar and dispose.

4. What do you you find inside? A VOLUTE REMOVAL KIT!

5. Bask in the knowledge that you don't have to whine about the volute anymore!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are quite silly, slamming this guitar all the time. It's an incredible instrument, volute and all. The misplaced volute will likely add to its folklore and value years from now. Let's see who's laughing in ten years when these are selling for $15,000 and you're longing for that long lost AL you sold on ebay.

AL 2112

III. Discovery

What can this strange volute be

When I touch it

It sort of brings me down

But yet the wires still vibrate and give music

I think I'll keep it around

At first I had a very sad heart

And on the forum screamed out my pain

Oh how that bump looked like a mountain

And Gibson's response ...was so lame

I can't wait to share this new blunder

The people will all see our plight

Let them all share their own story

Of Gibson's major oversight

IV. Presentation

I know it's most unusual

To have a volute so low

We all went to Gibson

And said we'd like to know

Listen to our complaints

And see what they can do

There's something here that should't be

We hope it will reach you

Yes, we know it's nothing new

It happens all the time

Gibson has no need for all these complaints

Our product is doing fine

Another another ploy to help destroy

The Gibson family brands

Forget about your silly whims

And take it like a man

I cant believe youre saying

These things just cant be true

How could you screw up this beauty

What else are we supposed to do

They listened to our complaints

There's nothing they will do

The artist approved it so tough luck

And laughed when we said we would sue

Dont annoy us further

We have our work to do

We have all your money

What further use have we for you?

Another another ploy to help destroy

The Gibson family brands

Forget about your silly whims

And take it like a man

V. Oracle: The Dream

I wandered home though Memphis streets

And fell into a fitful sleep

Begin to dream of Lifeson's 355

A dream Gibson can't keep alive

I stand right in the Custom Shop

An oracle tells the lathe to stop

He says the volute is an inch too low

He noticed it at the Winter NAMM show

I see the works of gifted hands

That grace this model so many Rush fans demand

I see the hand of talented luthiers arise

With honest mind and open eyes

Truth is they left Gibson long ago

And with time apathy would grow

Their greediness grows with want of more

To ruin the legacy of those that came before

Gison should hold their heads down

Hold them down in shame

VI. Soliloquy

The sleep is still in my eyes

The volute is still in may hands

I heave a sigh and sadly smile

Then I start to jam

Over the volute my hand shall pass

Gibson will not kill my dream

Just think of what this guitar would be

If the volute would not have been

But I am sure I can carry on

Carry on and play this great guitar

Oh yeah.........................................

I used my home x-ray machine and found that the AL has a great Easter egg. It's easy to find:

2. Plug in your jigsaw

Sumtymes players will play anything just to pretend they are there HERO.

Anyone want to get some picks with ALEX written on them , I think you could

sell a gross to this clown , and have em believe they are really Alex's . :^o

Have any of the complainers actually sold their guitars?

I would sell this poor excuse of a Exact Duplicate of Alex Lifeson's ES-355 in a moment .

It is such a joke , to tell people your 3700.00 guitar is in high demand , yet

you can't even sell them on ebay , brand new , non played for 3000.00

I know TurkT in 10 years all guitars will have this new chunk of wood on the playing

surface of the instrument , and all Guitars will be modified to have speed bumps .

Do you ever think Gibson Screwed up , and some people won't take Gibson's lame

reason of , well just because , so eat the loss ?

I did not think so . :^o

2. Plug in your jigsaw

Maybe you could look up Whining Then Look up Legitimate Complaint .

For some reason I do not think you would understand the difference anyhow .

Think about it this way for a second .

If I ordered a Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat because Yngwie was my inspiration . Like Alex let's say ,

we know alot about his playing over the years .

I then get the Yngwie Malmsteen strat , play it a second and say " OMG this fretboard is scalloped , Just like Yngwie's and

I do not like it . That would go into a case of buying something that was as advertised , but not what I or " other customers "

liked , that would make me look dumb . Actually not only look dumb but be dumb .

I order an Alex Lifeson ES-355 and I play it . I love it . The neck is nice , a few flaws big deal .

Yet something is not right . Oh , I found out what , the Volute is 1/2 an inch on the playing side of the nut

then one the Correct side , being the truss rod cover .

To be frank and honest , in all I have read and "heard" never once , never did I hear or read that Alex likes

chunks of wood where they don't belong .

If it was known that Alex has his guitar makers put Volutes , in the players way then I would not say a word .

If I bought a Yngwie Malmsteen Strat and the fretboard was NOT SCALLOPED I would ***** about that until

Fender took it back and Fixed the neck to the proper specs .

I would think Fender would never let that model go before it was correct . =;:^o

I think the part that hurts the most about this is being let down by two important entities for us guitarists that are Rush fans; Gibson and Alex Lifeson. We don't know for sure if Alex let us down, but we do know Gibson has. We have heard nothing from Alex and Gibson obviously in a very purposeful way is ignoring the entire issue. To be honest, as one who is keeping the guitar and enjoying it, if Gibson had early on given some kind of statement that let us AL owners know what is going on, I think I would be less angered by the situation. If they had said, in a more direct way that it was Alex who approved the design, then I would expect an official statement from Gibson endorsed by Alex. That would have made things a bit better as well. But, total silence on both party's part is what is so screwed up about this whole thing. It is the purposeful ignorance of Gibson and possibly Alex that really sucks. This is why Gibson should be ashamed. I think even Admin would have to agree, although he obviously cannot say anything about it since his job is on the line and in this economy, who would blame him. Maybe someday we will learn the truth about what happened. I would sell my Lifeson if it was one of the only guitars I owned, but I own several Custom Shop guitars and I did not plan on playing this one a tremendous amount. I play mostly Les Pauls anyway and so the guitar, although I will play it, is mostly a collectors item for me. In an entire evening of playing, the Lifeson would get used on 3-4 songs (turns out this is about all that Alex uses it for as well). The rest, I play my Les Pauls. And by the way, one of those Les Pauls is a Frampton signature and it has no issues whatsoever. I wished they would have treated the AL in the same way.

how would you or i know if what you guys in NASCAR do has any correlation to what we do here?

Because in the Corporate World (Yes CA, Gibson is supposed to be a BIG Corporation) we use what is called Lawyers to write such things. These guys work in BIG buildings which house BIG firms, who specialize in Product Endorsement Contracts. They do a wide range of Products and represent a wide range of clients......like NASCAR, the NFL, The PGA, AMF, Coke, Pepsi, various Entertainment stars and production companies, etc, etc, etc........all the way down to little ol guitar makers.

So with all due respect CA....I know my end of the business.....and the people in it.....and the lawyers who write, and re-write the same contracts over, and over, and over for a wide range of clients!!!!! I also know some of the people involved with all the legal contracts dealing with your guitar company and NASCAR (In case you were un aware, Gibson makes Trophy Guitars for all the big Nascar races at Nashville).

............................ The misplaced volute will likely add to its folklore and value years from now. Let's see who's laughing in ten years when these are selling for $15' date='000 and you're longing for that long lost AL you sold on ebay. [/quote']

Somebody please send me what this guy is smoking!!!!!!!!

PJLCC14' date=' Judging from this and your previous posts, you're suffering from a deadly mix of arrogance and ignorance. I've confirmed this with corporate execs at a big box chain who influence collectability and value.[/quote']

Deadly mix????? From posting on a guitar forum????? That's interesting!

Arrogance......maybe a touch, aren't we all?

Ignorance......remember, thats just another word for "point of view"

Hey Bro.....if you want to believe that this guitar is going to increase 400% in ten years........peace be the journey!

Don't sweat it. If you bought the guitar for an investment. You should get some return on it, but then you better leave it in the case and not play it. If however you want to play it, forget about the investment and play it and enjoy it. We'll all be dead soon enough anyway and then who cares what it is worth? The only way one that will increase in value is Lifeson's real 355.

Don't sweat it. If you bought the guitar for an investment. You should get some return on it' date=' but then you better leave it in the case and not play it. If however you want to play it, forget about the investment and play it and enjoy it. We'll all be dead soon enough anyway and then who cares what it is worth? The only way one that will increase in value is Lifeson's real 355. [/quote']Right on Wondo. BTW I did buy it as an investment...but not to leave it in a case and try and make some money off of it down the road...rather as an investment in my own satisfaction that I get from playing guitars that inspire and motivate me to play better each time I pick it up, and the AL-355 does that and then some for me. Believe me, in ten years AL-124 will have some serious fret-wear.

You guys that are still angry about the volute, not telling you how to think, but I am puzzled by it. I mean, I was angry about it at first also and I still think Gibson owed us a better explanation of what went wrong or proof that Alex actually requested it (not just signed off on a mistake that was too late to fix), but I can move on from that because at the end of the day this is an awesome guitar that I love dearly. I am curious, does the volute really impede your playing at all or is it just a grudge you hold that Gibson messed it up? I have put many hours on this guitar and can honestly say I don't even notice the volute at all unless I just look at it. It makes no difference at all to my skill as a guitar player (what little I have :-D) and gives me no reason whatsoever to give up the many fine attributes of this instrument. I gather from other posts here that a lot of folks feel the same way. If it does not affect the playability and it's otherwise a great playing & sounding guitar, then why on Earth would it de-value the guitar in years to come? I doubt that will happen. Many collectors don't care about things like that, only the rarity and significance of the guitar. If you get rid of it right away, of course you will lose money. Just like a new car that you want to sell a month after you take it off the lot. If not unplayed and brand new from a dealer it will suffer some immediate depreciation and certainly won't go up in value overnight, if that's what you were expecting. I don't know about ever being worth $15,000, that's a stretch, but it won't be worth nothing, that's for sure. I think like any fine instrument it will always hold some decent value, especially since there are only 300 of them.

Right on Wondo. BTW I did buy it as an investment...but not to leave it in a case and try and make some money off of it down the road...rather as an investment in my own satisfaction that I get from playing guitars that inspire and motivate me to play better each time I pick it up' date=' and the AL-355 does that and then some for me. [/quote']

Well said. That is the type of investment I have made as well. As my AL 2112 lyrics suggest, we can dream about how things should be but then we wake up to the reality of what is, and the reality ain't that bad. I like the guitar.

The volute is only noticable when playing a few chords on the first fret and even then it is really not that big of a deal. The guitar looks and sounds great. I think some of the complainers that do not understand how we can keep this guitar think we don't know anything about guitars. Well, I own 5 Custom Shop guitars and the Lifeson is in keeping with them. I am not going to sell it. I think it will go up in value in a few years.

Welcome to the forums Alex .

I called customer service again . They do not have the correct trem arms , another Customer service told me

he knew nothing about it .

Gibson told me YOU approved that neck with the volute in the incorrect place .

I was wondering why you chose the necks " Volute " profile ? I was just wondering if

you really like a fake Volute between the first and second fret .

As you can see from the page I sent you the " admin " basically said you Approved that neck ,

and there is nothing wrong with it ?

Do you feel that is the truth ?

I have never read anything indicating you ask for you volutes in that position ?

If I want the volute removed out of my way , I must send it to Restore and Restoration and pay for it.

It is not a defect ?

Sorry to be nosey ,

Thanks again and best to you .

Archived