Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

i have not ignored your questions about the volute. i have asked and asked and asked about it' date=' and the answers i have given here are the answers i've gotten. believe me...no one here is asking "how high?" when i say "jump!"

you don't like the answers...fine, i get that. you don't like the volute...fine i get that, too.

my point is that unless the few of you who are still bent about this issue elect to try a different route to get this design question answered (and that's why i posted the company directory for you...twice), then as far as i am concerned the matter is resolved. Further, continued posting of the same questions over and over and over again isn't getting any of us anywhere. so, as i said recently...enjoy the guitar for what it is, or sell it and move on with your life.

I'm going to let these 2 threads stay open until Friday. at that time, i will be locking them, and any new threads on this topic will be deleted. not because i am trying to suppress discussion about this topic, but because everything that's going to be said about it has been covered in the 50 pages of posts already on this forum.

Supression seldom solves issues .

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in other words...you somehow missed these issues when you went IN PERSON to pick up the guitar (issues that should have been apparent with even a cursory examination)' date=' and now you are going to complain about them and the fact that even though you ARE covered under warranty, that warranty is just too inconvenient for you implement.

stick with the volute issue...at least you have a legitimate question there.

This one followed right after ??

Hi All ( or some ) ' date='

All of this and I have kept my mouth shut .

Yet , would someone explain why the " unfinished template " AND

the neck that someone used to compare a different AL-355 Neck

are different ?

I have been quiet I deserve a cookie or the like !

Right click open in news tab

Looks like there is another yet " aproved " Volute position

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/DSC00186compred.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/template-1SB.jpg[/quote']

Please notice the second picture is the " approved neck " which

SOME players received .

The first picture is someone's guitar neck that I think looks " non approved "

Please notice the second picture is the " approved neck " which

SOME players received .

The first picture is someone's guitar neck that I think looks " non approved "

the neck was approved as it is. all the necks are like this, even Alex Lifeson's. and these pictures were posted weeks ago.

you're adding nothing new to the discussion...actually, nobody is at this point, which is why these threads are going to get locked.

the neck was approved as it is. all the necks are like this' date=' even Alex Lifeson's. and these pictures were posted weeks ago.

you're adding nothing new to the discussion...actually, nobody is at this point, which is why these threads are going to get locked.

[/quote']

If one neck has a volute " starting " at the side marker ,

and it is not where the approved one is , why is that not another " point "

that at least that neck is not approved but it is on a users guitar .

You held ONE approved neck .

Someone gave a picture that I noticed is not the same . eusa_shhh.gif

If one neck has a volute " starting " at the side marker ' date='

and it is not where the approved one is , why is that not another " point "

that at least that neck is not approved but it is on a users guitar .

You held ONE approved neck .

Someone gave a picture that I noticed is not the same . [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_shhh.gif[/img]

personally i don't see any difference between the finished AL neck and the white wood template.

still love that skateboarder, though.

Well then, I'll give my last word since we are being shut down.

70's Volute:

40U-3494_volute-1.jpg

Alex Lifeson Signature ES 355 Volute:

DSC00186.jpg

Whitewood template for Alex Lifeson ES 355:

template-1.jpg

Gibson's Product Description:

ScannedImage-2-1-1-1.jpg

"Now, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this thread.”

Well then' date=' I'll give my last word since we are being shut down.

"Now, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this thread.”[/quote']

thanks for the pics, but this is another example of a post that adds nothing new to the discussion, and only serves to reiterate a point that has been made over and over again in this thread.

and nothing's being torn down...the thread will remain on the board as a reference. i just don't think repitition is accomplishing anything at this point.

nice Reagan reference though.

Well then....that explains that! So what model in the 1960's had the volute in the same position that it is on the AL........seeing that the neck would be a standard 60's neck?

Work on your reading comprehension skills. I wasn't talking about the volute. I was talking about the expectation that the guitar would be an exact re-creation of Alex's which should have been gone as soon as news of the change in neck came out.

I agree the thread should be locked - if Mr. Gibson himself can't convince these types, there's no hope.

Work on your reading comprehension skills. I wasn't talking about the volute. I was talking about the expectation that the guitar would be an exact re-creation of Alex's which should have been gone as soon as news of the change in neck came out.

I agree the thread should be locked - if Mr. Gibson himself can't convince these types' date=' there's no hope.[/quote']

I comprehend that you have the people skills and charm of a Turkey.

And for the record, nobody asked you if you agreed or not, on the closing of this thread!

Well then' date=' I'll give my last word since we are being shut down.

70's Volute:

"Now, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this thread.”[/quote']

Wondo ,

Look at your neck . No , the one on your guitar .

Then look at the whitewood neck .

Is it really the same ?

Is it only I that sees the glaring differences or only Sir Admin ?

Wondo ' date='

Look at your neck . No , the one on your guitar .

Then look at the whitewood neck .

Is it really the same ?

Is it only I that sees the glaring differences or only Sir Admin ?[/quote']

OK, i can see a minimal difference, but if you put 10 R9s next to each other you're going to see minimal production differences from one to the other there as well...it's part of the guitars being hand-crafted.

you're still trying to re-make a point that's been beaten into the ground....anything new to add to the discussion?

personally i don't see any difference between the finished AL neck and the white wood template.

still love that skateboarder' date=' though.[/quote']

Well here is a overlay of my neck and the whitewood neck, not that it means anything but there is a difference.

OverlayALNeck-1.jpg

I thought I had my last word, but since I have been called back in to the discussion, the whitewood neck and the finished product are almost identical. With that I do agreee with Admin. The picture of Crappy's neck is taken at a slightly different angle. Take a look at how the face of the headstock does not quite line up in the pictures (no offense Crappy, we are brothers AL and H&K). My point in my previous post is that when looking at a 70's volute compared to the Lifeson, there is without question a significant difference, and one that can be felt when playing the guitar. The reason why we still are"trying to re-make a point that's been beaten into the ground...." is because Gibson REFUSES to tell us why there is a difference. If Alex had approved it, then WHY? That is all we have wanted to know from the very start. Locking this thread is Gibson's way of saying shut up, we have already given you our answer which we know leaves us hanging. Admin, I do sincerely applaude you for allowing us to go on so long on this topic and for continually attending to this topic, but I do hope that you see that this has not been us beating a dead horse but a sincere effort to get an answer from Gibson as to why they did this when never before has a neck on a Gibson been like this.

I enjoy coming here to the forum. And it is wonderful to have Admin giving us a listen. I just hope that it is understood that the continuous tantrum has been a result of our fustration over Gibson not providing an answer as to why this happened the way that it did.

I am actually working on posting some new clips of the Lifeson In Action. I also await my new Les Paul Axcess and would like to (hopefully) post some very postive comments about that.

I hope to see you all soon on a more positive note.

Hi Admin

Would it be possible to leave the thread open for our continued discussion if we accept the fact that you will no longer get involved.....maybe.....?????

Its still been a great thread even though a few of us have been having a good old moan over the past few months and I'm sure we all want to carry on discussing, sharing sound/video clips, setup ideas and so on, as theres only the one person off here I know of who as sold theirs.......????

I just reckon it would be a shame to lock it personally....IMHO :)

Maybe if this particular thread and the Lifeson Volute thread is locked, we can either start a new thread called support for the Lifeson or something or we could resurrect my thread called Lifeson In Action where I posted a Youtube video and others posted some clips and from there we could discuss our use of the Lifeson. I just played mine last night. It is a really cool guitar. I love the tone. I was almost thinking of getting another 355, but then I pulled out my 9.5 pound 1960 Les Paul Reissue and was reminded that big tone does not have to come from a big guitar. I think the Lifeson will cover that area very well. I should be getting an Axcess soon and so I have to sell my 356, that is a great guitar as well.

Speaking as a former forum mod myself, I would have shut this thread down a while back, mostly because it's become so bludgeoningly repetitious and more than a little obsessive-compulsive. I do sympathise with dissatisfied owners and indeed I wasn't happy with the guitar myself but I sold it and bought something else I was happy with (getting rid of something that embitters you is really quite cathartic, I promise). There's clearly nothing new to be added to the matter and I think that a new thread covering subjects like Wondo's playing samples would be more interesting and more deserving of server space. No excuses for Gibson from me, but I really think that it's time to close off this whole sorry episode and move on.

Wondo - you will love the Axcess. I'm thinking of getting a second one & dropping in a pair of '57 classic pickups - I love the Burstbuckers, but I think a second Axcess (in Gunmetal, my 1st one is Ice Tea) with the classics would give me a lot of my AL-355 tone & a locking trem as well.

1983 Gibson Moderne, Antique Natural Korina

2008 Alex Lifeson ES-355, Alpine White

2008 Les Paul Axcess, Ice Tea

Eleven non-Gibsons

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDAx473AFpA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DDAx473AFpA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Archived