Gibson Brands Forums

How many 58 Specials were made?

Cam in alberta

Due to a death in the family, i have recently aquired a 1958 LP Special from the original owner. I have had the LP appraised, but i would like to know more about it. the serial number is 8 31-- .Someone blogged that there were 958 of them produced, is this accurate? Also, do the serial numbers of the specials, customs, and standards run in conjuntion or does each have it's own run?

Please help me out with these questions.

-Cam in Alberta

958 is the number published in Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitars" (1982 edition).

The Y XXXX number scheme was setup in 1953 for all SOLID body guitars. The "Y" of course being the year, the four (or five) digits that followed were just a sequential numbering system used without any regard for specific model.

958 is the number published in Tom Wheeler's book "American Guitars" (1982 edition).

The Y XXXX number scheme was setup in 1953 for all SOLID body guitars. The "Y" of course being the year' date=' the four (or five) digits that followed were just a sequential numbering system used without any regard for specific model. [/quote']

the Y wasn't just for solid bodies, and sometimes the letter preceded or followed the serial #, starting with Z in '52 and ending up with O in '61.

the Y wasn't just for solid bodies' date=' and sometimes the letter preceded or followed the serial #, starting with Z in '52 and ending up with O in '61.[/quote']

The "Y" (for "year") as used in my example is a symbol to represent a number, not literally the letter Y. Sorry you misunderstood.

The reverse alphabet system you have mentioned above was a Factory Order Number system NEVER used on solid bodies, and is completely different from the serial number system being discussed here.

And just for the record, the reverse alphabet FON system ended in 1961 with the letter "Q", not "O".

The "Y" (for "year") as used in my example is a symbol to represent a number' date=' not literally the letter Y. Sorry you misunderstood.

The reverse alphabet system you have mentioned above was a Factory Order Number system NEVER used on solid bodies, and is completely different from the serial number system being discussed here.

And just for the record, the reverse alphabet FON system ended in 1961 with the letter "Q", not "O".[/quote']

Ah, I see - and I meant Q, not O, wasn't paying attention...oops.

Archived