Gibson Brands Forums

What is lapping tape?

ksdaddy

I’m culling out old reel to reel tapes and found a reel with GREEN tape. The box said “lapping tape”.

Anyone know what it is? Something to polish the recorder heads with?

When I passed the bulk eraser over it, not much happened, unlike the growl I get from passing it over s regular tape.

Form of magnetic tape audio recording which the recording is held on a reel, rather than being securely contained within a cassette.

In use, the supply reel or feed reel containing the tape is manually pulled out the reel, threaded through mechanical guides and a tape head assembly, and attached by friction to the hub of a second, initially empty take up reel. Don't ask me to explain it. msp_flapper.gif Ha ha

Form of magnetic tape audio recording which the recording is held on a reel, rather than being securely contained within a cassette.

In use, the supply reel or feed reel containing the tape is manually pulled out the reel, threaded through mechanical guides and a tape head assembly, and attached by friction to the hub of a second, initially empty take up reel. Don't ask me to explain it. msp_flapper.gif Ha ha

You forgot to cite your source! msp_razz.gif

Archived