Gibson Brands Forums

Sliming Epiphone LS neck

Carlosg9850

I have an Epiphone Traditional Pro II which comes with the “D” shaped early 50s neck. I recently purchased a 1966 Gibson SG and way prefer the slimmer neck and it made me dislike the neck profile on the LP. What are my options in reducing the LPs neck profile to a “C”? Is it easier to sand it down or have a new neck put in entirely?

I have an Epiphone Traditional Pro II which comes with the “D” shaped early 50s neck. I recently purchased a 1966 Gibson SG and way prefer the slimmer neck and it made me dislike the neck profile on the LP. What are my options in reducing the LPs neck profile to a “C”? Is it easier to sand it down or have a new neck put in entirely?

I've never been much of a Les Paul guy, big necks is one reason. I suppose you could try sanding, but it'd take forever and I doubt it would be consistent, then you'd have to refinish it, too. Swapping the neck is an expensive proposition, seeing as it's glue in. Not impossible, just expensive. If you don't like your trad pro, sell it, and find an LP with a neck you like. You could even take the money you were thinking of spending on a new neck and add that to the mix. I'm sure that someone who is more knowledgable on LPs can steer you in the right direction. Sometimes you need to cut your losses.

I agree with tweed2, Big Bill and Kidblast.. Sell it the LP and find one with a neck you like..

But you used some incorrect terms describing your necks.. First of all the D profile is the 60's slim taper neck. Second the C rounded profile is the 50's Fat neck...

Comparing the necks on an Epiphone LP to a 66 Gibson SG there are bound to be differences. Some of the early 60's SG's had very thin necks and were not that standardized, but based on the D profile.. SG's have always had easier or better action necks than a LP specially on the high notes.. With the exception of some of the LP DC's..

SG necks changed about every decade partly because the first SG's neck joined the body at the 22nd fret but were neck heavy. later the butt joint started getting bigger so the strap button could be moved forward giving Gibson SG's better balance, like they have with current models.

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

The Epiphone G400 series has the 60's D profile joined at the 22nd fret like the first SG, giving it great access but making it a little neck heavy..

I've never been much of a Les Paul guy, big necks is one reason. I suppose you could try sanding, but it'd take forever and I doubt it would be consistent, then you'd have to refinish it, too. Swapping the neck is an expensive proposition, seeing as it's glue in. Not impossible, just expensive. If you don't like your trad pro, sell it, and find an LP with a neck you like. You could even take the money you were thinking of spending on a new neck and add that to the mix. I'm sure that someone who is more knowledgable on LPs can steer you in the right direction. Sometimes you need to cut your losses.

Thanks for your input! Looks like I’m going to do that

Archived