Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Dad's J-100

ksdaddy

I wonder if Hogeye could give any info on production numbers? It would be interesting to know. Gibson was in the infancy of their return to Gibson as we know them. I would bet the numbers to be fairly low. I have a J 30 S.O.R.S. from '87 and a brochure from the same time frame and the there were very limited models being offered.

I wish I could help but I only have numbers on Gibson Montana guitars. Gibson Montana started production in 1989 and as a historian of sorts I kept all of the records from that time frame up to 2009. I kept day to day journals of my daily activities as well as the goings on of the Montana plant.

I joined the forum just to clear up the many inaccuracies that were going around on this and other forums. I couldn't give out too much info and kept my association with Gibson a private matter as the company was a bit reluctant to have employees speaking out on the forum. There was a rumor that Gibson had a company policy against giving out production numbers but that was not true. Henry had no such policy in place. Gibson had a customer service person that made that whole policy up as she was just to lazy to look up the information. She was invited to leave the company.

Now that the company I worked for has gone into bankruptcy and has been sold I have no affiliation with the new company. The records I have were the property of a company that doesn't exist and I obtained them legitimately as a paid employee. The records were going to be a part of a book that I wanted to write with another historian on the Gibson Montana history. The Marketing director for the Montana Division threatened to sue us over the book. He felt we were giving out company protected information and that there were copyright infringement issues. We just walked away as I was still an employee. As a side note Henry

approved of the book.

Now you know the whole story.

Archived