Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-35 Discontinued ...Your thoughts

The G

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 11:12 PM, The G said:

Sad to hear Gibson has discontinued this model.

The craftsmanship on mine is fabulous. Beautifully silked spruce top and gorgeous mahogany back and sides. Great looking rosewood used on the neck and

bridge . And ....awesome sound and projection ( Subjective I know)

So my theory is they priced the instrument too low in their product line and weren’t making enough markup. [glare]

What are your thoughts?

Obviously, if they weren't making enough margin on each guitar, they could just raise the price; They're the company. Plus, they would have know ahead of time what it was going to cost to make it and would have just priced it the right way from the start.

Actually, models come and go. If they stop making one model; who cares? If you want one, go buy a used one.

Be glad they did because now the used ones (like yours) in theory, may hold their value better.

I'm sure, like most of their models, they'll put this back into production at some point in the next 20 years.

• 10 months later...

Obvious zombie thread response! I was one of the few who replied a few years ago about not liking this guitar, but that changed earlier this year. Came across a 2018 model in MINT condition. Picked it up for $1,200 and it's become one of my favorites. It's a great compliment to some other full size dreads I own including a D18 and a USA-made Epiphone Frontier (think Gibson Dove in Western appointments). I much prefer the J35 over the J45 these days. The J35 has a somewhat full, substantial neck, was able to set it up wonderfully and it's a great fingerpicker and strummer. 

On 12/12/2023 at 7:20 PM, sbpark said:

Obvious zombie thread response! I was one of the few who replied a few years ago about not liking this guitar, but that changed earlier this year. Came across a 2018 model in MINT condition. Picked it up for $1,200 and it's become one of my favorites. It's a great compliment to some other full size dreads I own including a D18 and a USA-made Epiphone Frontier (think Gibson Dove in Western appointments). I much prefer the J35 over the J45 these days. The J35 has a somewhat full, substantial neck, was able to set it up wonderfully and it's a great fingerpicker and strummer. 

2022 J 35 Faded...

20221101_172807-001-768x579.jpg

Edited by r9vos

I was looking for a J45 but this one popped up locally for a bargain price because of the belly behind the bridge. It’s a 1995 Limited Edition I bought it from a shop I trust and was assured the bridge is stable. Had it only about 45 days so still in the honeymoon. So far I’m lovin’ it. I really dig the sunburst. It came with Waverly’ tuners and has a tapered headstock which surprised me.  So far it’s had EJ 16’s until a week ago (sounded great) now it’s got Martin SP 80/20’s which also sound great. 

IMG_2023-12-23-152547.jpeg

Edited by nickjwill