Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Firebird 1 paint

shaysterblues

Hopefully not pushing my luck too much here but i aquired a epiphone joe bonamassa firebird 1 a while back only because the same spec gibson is like a morgage .a truely great guitar bit did feel a bit plastic because off the poly finish which i totally hated.well i do a bit off wiring and this in that to various guitars locally. So decided to put a bone nut on her.did my usual scalpel cut around the existing one when removed a massive chunk of clear lacquer came off then everytime i picked at it with my fingernail more came off the guitar was ruined needed a complete refinish to fix .i was shocked even felt sick at what was happening.

So i finally got my head together after a day or two and decided to strip the poly completely off .

This task has put me off ever buying a guitar that has a ply finish period. The paint had to be scorched off with a paint gun until it exploded off the body leaving burn marks that had to be sanded the paint was so thick like a hard glass nearly 5mm in thickness on the neck totally disgusted me what was covering a beautiful piece of mahogany.

Well took 16 hours to strip and sand i kid you not .

Anyhow decided to go black but not to fussy maybe aslight relic in nitrocellulose black with clear over and subtle wear here and there.now this guitar is heaven lpoks awsome and plays the same.i put a gibson truss rod cover because to me its the full monty now

Heres some links to my photos

Black gibson firebird 1 https://imgur.com/gallery/07DzQ1w

5mm thick? Really? I have one, next to me now, I just measured the thin edge of the body by the firebird picture on the pick guard. Approximately 28mm, so your telling me there's 18mm of wood and 10mm of paint there? (5mm front 5mm back)

Someone needs to buy a ruler....

Archived