Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between ES-137 Custom/Classic

Luap

Pickups and a Varitone. I'm surprised the ES 137 doesn't receive much attention! I have one and I was just playing her last night through my Carr Mercury. She has such a nice tone and plays so nicely.

quote]

Nice to see you here, Svet.

Red 333

Pickups and a Varitone. I'm surprised the ES 137 doesn't receive much attention! I have one and I was just playing her last night through my Carr Mercury. She has such a nice tone and plays so nicely.

quote]

Nice to see you here' date=' Svet.

Red 333[/quote']

Hi Red, good to see you too! I thought to myself, self, you really ought to see what the Gibson forum is like. The traffic at the other water holes has slowed a bit and I need something else. I'm surprised it isn't busier here!

Hi Red' date=' good to see you too! I thought to myself, self, you really ought to see what the Gibson forum is like. The traffic at the other water holes has slowed a bit and I need something else. I'm surprised it isn't busier here![/quote']

It's not busier here in Hollow and Semi-Hollow, but the questions and posts are far less repetitive, and there are very few if any "vs." topics and flame wars, LOL. From that perspective, it's maybe less entertaining as a spectacle, but there are good folks here.

I know your collection is huge, but I don't think you have a Gibson Acoustic. You should still visit that forum. It's pretty lively, and overall, the particiapnts there are among the most knowlegable and interesting around. They're also very funny. Inhaling all that nitrocellulose must do something to the brain.

The LP forum is most like the Epi forum to me.

Notes Norton shows up here, especially when the topic is ES330. Hope to see you, more, too.

Last night, MF, put a blem L7-C on sale for $1999, which is like $3K and change off. Boy, that was tempting, but it's an instrument I would probably end up collecting instead of playing, so someone else got it. I bet it would've looked good with all your beautiful archtops!

Red 333

Different pickups,Ebony fretboard,Gold Hardware,The original classics had mahogony necks but now they are 3 piece maple like the custom.Just looked at the product section and it looks like Gibson is'nt making the custom version any more.Both are great guitars.

I thought they both had 57s. My Custom does anyway. Re: action/fit/finish, mine came set up perfect from the factory (the only Gibson I've ever bought new due to the prices being outrageous... thanks Music Rising!). Mine is less than perfect in nitpicky ways-- one of the f-holes has a little smear under the gloss finish, the Vari-tone switch is loose, the multi-ply body binding is a little asymmetrical in a couple spots, and the headstock inlay feels slightly raised & bumpy to the touch.

Oh, and there was a bunch of sawdust in the case when I unpacked it. I vacuumed it out and more sawdust kept coming out of the guitar for a couple months. As grateful as I am to Music Rising/Gibson/U2's collective generosity, I'll never buy another new Gibson electric.

Having said that, it plays, sounds, & looks like a wet dream.

Thanks brundaddy. I thought mine had Custom had 57's and I would be very surprised if the pickups were different between the Custom and the Classic.

I also bought my Custom new and other than set up issues (action too high) there wasn't too much wrong with it. Mine did have some sort oresin residue on the body where the neck is on the body just below the toggle switch.

Great guitars but quite heavy in weight.

Great guitars but quite heavy in weight.

Ain't that the truth???? My es 135 has that light lil centerblock and it RULES the roost' date=' my fave player of all my Gibsons. Some people talk trash about the trapeze tailpiece (lighter) 135s but mine outplays [u']everything[/u] else I got, & with better/more versatile tone!

Archived