Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Demo

BluesKing777

Here is a short track to demo where I am at with my recent purchase - Seymour Duncan Mag Mic - a soundhole magnetic pickup with a mic on the bottom of the pickup and volume controls for mag part and mic part...

I have fiddled around with it for a couple of weeks - this track is on my Waterloo WL-14X with a wide neck (needs re-setting for each guitar I put it in) and I have the pickup attached slightly towards the bridge because I have taken out the pole pieces for strings one and two - those strings get too loud. I really like adding about 75% mic, but unless you wear headphones this would feedback at a gig and most people use about 15 - 30% mic live. (Without the mic sound, it just sounds like any other magnetic pickup - like a Strat.)

So the track has no alterations, no EQ, just the pickup lead run to my Boss VE8 preamp and using ONLY the volume control...no effects. Then direct to record.... I like it but there is always a catch, isn't there - the leads and a 9V battery dangling down the front of my guitar, annoying, and an electronic hiss from either the pickup or the Boss VE8 or a lead...don't know yet. (Another strange thing is if I turn the mic (SM58) on in the Boss VE8, I get a slight phase effect from having the vocal mic AND the guitar mic...

So would I install the pickup permanently?

NOPE! Not until I sort a few things out.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

• 3 years later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:59 PM, BluesKing777 said:

Here is a short track to demo where I am at with my recent purchase - Seymour Duncan Mag Mic - a soundhole magnetic pickup with a mic on the bottom of the pickup and volume controls for mag part and mic part...

I have fiddled around with it for a couple of weeks - this track is on my Waterloo WL-14X with a wide neck (needs re-setting for each guitar I put it in) and I have the pickup attached slightly towards the bridge because I have taken out the pole pieces for strings one and two - those strings get too loud. I really like adding about 75% mic, but unless you wear headphones this would feedback at a gig and most people use about 15 - 30% mic live. (Without the mic sound, it just sounds like any other magnetic pickup - like a Strat.)

So the track has no alterations, no EQ, just the pickup lead run to my Boss VE8 preamp and using ONLY the volume control...no effects. Then direct to record.... I like it but there is always a catch, isn't there - the leads and a 9V battery dangling down the front of my guitar, annoying, and an electronic hiss from either the pickup or the Boss VE8 or a lead...don't know yet. (Another strange thing is if I turn the mic (SM58) on in the Boss VE8, I get a slight phase effect from having the vocal mic AND the guitar mic...

So would I install the pickup permanently?

NOPE! Not until I sort a few things out.... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Want to hear the demo too, but I bought one of these many a year ago for use with a 12 string (as the one I got has 12 separate poles) but ended up putting on a 6 string.  BluesKing777 is spot on in that it sounds great with a bit more mic than mag but that it give wicked feedback if played too loud like that.  I used to play solo gigs at a decent volume and found 25-30% mic is about the sweet spot so it doesn't feedback.  Is actually one of the better pickups I've used.  But boy if you somehow catch that mic knob and accidentally jack it up...

27 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Haha well, I guess that tells us what you thought of it in the long run! 🙂

Yup...

Concluded that I don’t like soundhole pickups really and don’t like batteries in the guitar...and installing this pickup permanently involves both.

The Trinity is passive and runs to a black box with battery in it, outside the guitar....easy to change the battery in that! No mid song string loosen hand in there battery change thingo.

BluesKing777.

There are various system , 

Trinity Pro System (Mini) $513

Trinity Pro System (Classic) $547

Trinity Pro System (12-String) $526

Trinity Upgrade System $364

All are more expensive then Mag Mic , which of these do you use?

Edited by Guido_59

Thanks for suggest, but I like also an overdrive sound like John Butker expecially with slide and many people say that LT bags M1 is not suitable for overdrive sound like Seymour Duncan Mag mic or Di Marzio Black Angel.

So I’m thinking that Mag Mic is a good compromise having both magnetic mic and condenser mic with separate control and adjustable pole

Love John Butler!

The mic part of the MagMic will feedback with any overdrive, even if the amp is too loud on clean...that is what mics do.

Do you want the Butler type sound for gigs or for playing at home? He has a quite complicated system depending on the year, with various Maton guitars, undersaddle pickup, soundhole pickup, amp, line to PA etc.

Have you seen John Butler’s video of acoustic version of Ocean? Wow!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Yes I’ve seen Ocean acoustic: fantastic!

I don’t want became John Butler, but make a sound like ! 
Friends that known well John Butler tell me that he use only magnetic for overdrive sound with condenser to zero.

M1 seems has too microphonic effect ,but maybe this shouldn’t be a problem, is it active or passive?

do you suggest it also for some overdrive sound?

Initially I hat though to Gold foil pick-up like Recording king use on some guitar, but this type of mic has microphonic effect and hasn’t a good acoustic sound

K&k is too expensive for me and its price is too high of my guitar value that I have get for 180€ about 193$

Edited by Guido_59

6 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm an old shed digger from way back.

Barns, too!

I don’t actually have a shed, sorry Murph, it is a saying for having a childish tantrum and leaving your bike near the junk pile by the shed.

But I do have a supposedly 2 car garage attached to my fairly modern 24 year old ‘project home’ in a housing tract type area, my block being adjacent to a wetland, river, and close to the beach......which I just came back from walking the dog on!

And back on subject, I have a large shopping bag with all the pickups I have to take to the pawn shop.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

BK, I’m surprised that you didn’t get along with the MagMic! I really like mine, have had it for years and it’s been in my Dove for the last few. I find it really crisp and articulate. Not quite as sweet as my Sunrises, but very useful for gigs when I need something active that’s plug-n-play rather than requiring if a pre. 

If you’re having a pickup clearout, it may be worth posting what you’ve got here on the forum in case anybody is in the market for them…probably more money to be recouped than pawning them and plenty of us are pickup enthusiasts who would be prepared to cover the postage too!

6 hours ago, Jinder said:

BK, I’m surprised that you didn’t get along with the MagMic! I really like mine, have had it for years and it’s been in my Dove for the last few. I find it really crisp and articulate. Not quite as sweet as my Sunrises, but very useful for gigs when I need something active that’s plug-n-play rather than requiring if a pre. 

If you’re having a pickup clearout, it may be worth posting what you’ve got here on the forum in case anybody is in the market for them…probably more money to be recouped than pawning them and plenty of us are pickup enthusiasts who would be prepared to cover the postage too!

Thanks Jinder..

When I say pawn shop, I actually mean a local secondhand instrument shop that takes consignments only.

Everything here costs over twice as much, so I will make a lot more selling to starved locals. I will also consign a couple of guitars, so one trip stop. (I have bought 5 acoustics there and know everyone). I will post the online link when I do it, but I doubt any overseas buyers will pay the local price.

As an example of prices, here is a page of local prices for NEW pickups:

https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/collections/pickups

BluesKing777.

P.S.  My Sunrise pickup is staying! That was really hard work finding and buying!

Edited by BluesKing777

BluesKing777

😳price near you is very high ! For LR Baggs m80 you pay 529$ ( AU dollar assume) =356€ bay included.  In Shop near me in Italy I pay for it 270€=405 $ included 22% vat.

my friend pay two year ago 1.900€ =2830$ included 22% vat for Maton Ebg 808 TE new!