Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Fake? Pictures

lymealope

Thanks to everyone for your prompt answers! The link below will show you 6 pictures of the guitar. After looking more closely, there's the slightest bit of separation at the lower bit of the neck joint and I can see a bit of glue where it looks like the neck has been replaced. Is it possible that this is a replacement Gibson neck? Anyway, thanks again!

http://photobucket.com/j45

-Lymealope

dsc2723.jpg

dsc2670.jpg

dsc2691.jpg

the truss cover definitely stands out, the tuners (I don't think) aren't standard or were added after the fact, and unless it's been redone or stored almost it's entire life, it looks way to clean to be a 1970. The headstock is mint, the fingerboard, specifically the cowboy chord area looks brand new and even the picture of the neck block inside looks brand new; I'd fire these pics off to Gruhn just to be sure if you are thinking of buying it.

This has all the attributes of a mid 70s J45 Deluxe. I see absolutely nothing out of place. I know the 3 screw truss rod cover looks suspicious but I stand by my claim that they used them occasionally in the 70s. As to the separation at the neck jont, who knows? But if the neck had been replaced, it was replaced with the exact same neck as before! The glue joint could have some problems is all. I'm more surprised at the lack of serial number. There's nothing on the back of the headstock? The stamping could be very faint and difficult to see through the dark stain but look close.....

Yes. Most were belly down from sometime in '68 to the early 80s... and some even made it to the Bozeman era. Not the same bridge through those years of course, but belly down. I think most J60s had them. The 70s bridges were quite thin because of the very shallow neck angle.

What needs immediate attention is the crack in the top on the bass side of the fingerboard. It may look like a minor little crack but it's bad news and needs attention right away. The string tension will make the entire neck and neck block shift forward and will do mega damage. If it's caught right away it can be as simple as a little strip of wood glued alongside the neck block. It won't show, won't affect the tone, yadda yadda. Don't mean to instill panic but I've seen a lot of Gibsons do it. Get thee to a trusted repairperson and the fix won't break the bank if they're honest.

I have one that is identical to this one. I have had it since 1976. It is all Gibson nothing that is not original. Even the serial # is hard to read. You need a magnifying glass to see it. I sent mine to Gibson Nashville for Neck reset and fret job, it has the same glue line under fingerboard as the one in the pictures. lt looks like neck may have been reset. It will have Made in USA beneath the serial #. Mine has the same overspray at the rosette. They may have had the same person do both of them. The binding where it is turning white is deteriorating. It will be falling off in a couple of years. Mine is falling off in chunks. Gibson said there is no way to stop it. bad material . Do you know what the serial # is? Mine is A90087. It would be interesting to see how close to each other they were in production.

I've seen serial numbers from this era prefixed with A, B, and D. No way that I know of to narrow it down ay better than 1973 to 1975. Eltonwce, you should fine six digits after the A. Like you pointed out, it's hard to read so the last digit may have escaped you.

There probably is a sixth digit but it is not readable. They probably did not stamp the serial # hard enough for all the digits to show. I have researched the date before and Also could only narrow it down to 73-75. I bought the guitar for $100.00 in 1976 and it was already beat up pretty bad. So I have always assumed it was a 73 or 74.The person I bought it from had flat wound bass strings on the 5th and sixth string. I was sure that is what cracked the body but it seems that a lot of the same problems were found on many of these guitars. It still plays and sounds great since I've had the repairs done to it.

Looks like a real Norlin era square shoulder J-45 Deluxe to me.

I purchased mine used in March of 1975 for $250. The owner said it was a 1973 model???

It has the same shape headstock and tuner knobs, (tulips, mine say Deluxe on the machines), same inside label and bridge shape, but mine only has two screws holding the truss rod cover, and has a black tear-drop shaped pick guard.

Also my serial # has no prefix letter, and is clearly stamped 68270 on the back of the headstock.

Because of the double X, non scalloped brace pattern, it is not as loud as older or even new J-45s, so I change out the strings very often. I use D'darrio EJ16 lights P/Bs. Also even with the extra top braces, and proper humidiy controls, through the years its top has dipped under the pick guard? With no apparent loose braces?

It was my only Dred for years, and now feels like a old comfortable pair of shoes, or a fun easy play.

As most people avoid Norlin era Gibsons they can be had for a good price, and if you like a thin neck, they are a fun play.

So fix it up and enjoy.

Dale.

Archived