Gibson Brands Forums

please help me with this

intune72

hey all im in a serious mess ... i just purchased a gibson robot second hand came with all acces except for the charger i have been looking for one all over with no luck can anyone please help me find a replacement charger ! im really in a bind i spent my last dollars on this i contacted gibson and they offered me no help at all! they said i had to be original owner to get a charger so here i am stuck with a great guitar but no way of charging it im very disapointed in gibson i would expect some help and they gave me none !! who would think such a great guitar maker would do this to a dedicated gibson fan

i don't know enough about these, don't they charge off of a TRS cable through the output jack? So what you need is the thing that plugs into the wall and has a 1/4" female jack on it right?

I was googl'ing around and couldn't find anything either.. I'm pretty sure that the battery is just kind of sitting there in the rear body cavity, you could take a look at it and see how it connects?

There are probably a bunch of ways to charge the thing, you'd think there would be more information around. either way, i wouldn't be too bummed about it. Hopefully the original owner will come through for you, otherwise i'd say to hang tight, one'll turn up eventually. You can still use the guitar as usual, just no auto-tuning right?

According to Tronical the 1st generation Robot Black charger box will take :

8V to 24V AC or DC

0.6A (600mA) minimum

=============

I know its says Gibson on the guitar

but all Robot specific issues are often answered in detail by contacting Tronical.

Tronical GmbH

Alsterdorfer Straße 50b

D-22299 Hamburg

Germany

T: +49 (40) 37 08 52 22 - 0

F: +49 (40) 37 08 52 22 - 20

E-Mail: info@tronical.com

Chris Adams

E-Mail: chris.adams@tronical.com

Antonio da Rosa

E-Mail: antonio.darosa@tronical.com

http://www.tronical.com/tronical/robot.html

Sounds like you've got a bit of a problem. Did you consider this when you bought the guitar? Perhaps you can trick someone else into buying it now?

i wouldnt trick anyone thats not the way i am maybe thats your solution but def not mine

nice axe,

so intune, if you're so inclined you can buy a wall-wart of the appropriate (above) configuration at any radio shack for about $12 USD, a 1/4 female adapter for about $1 USD from the same and wire it up to give you what you need until the genuine gibson charger shows its head. (assuming you have a 1/4" TRS cable alread, otherwise obtain one of those too)

nice axe' date='

so intune, if you're so inclined you can buy a wall-wart of the appropriate (above) configuration at any radio shack for about $12 USD, a 1/4 female adapter for about $1 USD from the same and wire it up to give you what you need until the genuine gibson charger shows its head. (assuming you have a 1/4" TRS cable alread, otherwise obtain one of those too) [/quote']

i dont understand what i need? im missing all the items to charge this the battery in the robot is removable thats not a prob i justy dont want to blow this battery up and then be in the search for that also

Personally, if it were me, I'd either bring it back to whoever you bought it from, or tune it yourself, I mean, the only thing "robotized" is the tuners, right? I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but if I had it, I'd play the thing, it does have traditional tuners, yes?

Personally' date=' if it were me, I'd either bring it back to whoever you bought it from, or tune it yourself, I mean, the only thing "robotized" is the tuners, right? I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but if I had it, I'd play the thing, it does have traditional tuners, yes?[/quote']

oh yeah i have been playing it just would like to have it

Dude without even seeing the guitar batter etc all you need to know is what battery is fitted, charging method (ie how do you actually connect it) Charging rate, polarity and voltage.

Most of that will be available from other users or the net, after that just build a charger?

Dude without even seeing the guitar batter etc all you need to know is what battery is fitted' date=' charging method (ie how do you actually connect it) Charging rate, polarity and voltage.

Most of that will be available from other users or the net, after that just build a charger?[/quote']

yeah thats the thing i can prob build one but the chance on builiding one that wont hurt the electronics is my concern the battery is easy to remove just 2 plugs takes less then a few sec but from what i hear its a lithium battery i race rc cars and know that some batterys are extreamly dangerous to recharge like the lipo battery that require a special charger and using a reg charger makes the battery's burst into flames i have seen it done ! so thats where im nervous about building a charger

Dude dont sweat it. Gibson won't sell them, so forget that (thats really bad of them and I'd like to know just what they expect all their high paying custmers to do?). Unless the people that make it dont sell them, you will have to get a cheep 12volt charger at Wal-mart with an output of 1 to 1.5 amp max.

Anyone one will do, that will charge a 12volt battery and most of them like for cell phones and kids toys are just the ticket. The one I have for my SG that came with it, is made in China and is labeled

"SWITCH POWER SUPPLY"

Model # GPSU15U-3

Part # FK-SPS-07046

The output is 12volt

So here is what you have to do, since the charger hooks in to a other neat thing (that your also **** out of luck finding) then a guitar cord plugs into this and the other end of the guitar cord plugs into the guitar. You'll have to snip your charger end to 2 bare wires and a guitar cord and hook them up without screwing up all your positives and neg/grounds.

That will work

Dude dont sweat it. Gibson won't sell them' date=' so forget that (thats really bad of them and I'd like to know just what they expect all their high paying custmers to do?). Unless the people that make it dont sell them, you will have to get a cheep 12volt charger at Wal-mart.

Anyone one will do, that will charge a 12volt battery and most of them like for cell phones and kids toys are just the ticket. The one I have for my SG that came with it, is made in China and is labeled

"SWITCH POWER SUPPLY"

Model # GPSU15U-3

Part # FK-SPS-07046

The output is 12volt

So here is what you have to do, since the charger hooks in to a other neat thing (that your also **** out of luck finding) then a guitar cord plugs into this and the other end of the guitar cord plugs into the guitar. You'll have to snip your charger end to 2 bare wires and a guitar cord and hook them up without screwing up all your positives and neg/grounds.

how do i know what the polarity on the poles are? hell i will offer a good cash price to anyone that can get me a charger

That will work[/quote']

Sell it cut your losses and get a real guitar...

I'm not trying to be harsh' date=' but the robot blows... sorry ...

Why do you think you're the third owner of a relatively new "guitar"...

[/quote']

i have a standard also thats not the point . as far as the robot goes its actully a really nice guitar and it sounds great what dont you like about it?

yes i am in bartlett illinois

I will help you out, I'm a little north of you, down 90 just past the last toll. Close to the Illinois/Wisconsin Boarder. I'll let you charge up your battery with my charger and I can make you one that will work with a low enough output that will not charge to fast or damage anything.

Heck I could even set you up with hook-ups so you can pull your battery and charge it off the guitar, and set you up with a comparitable extra battery, if you want.

i have a standard also thats not the point . as far as the robot goes its actully a really nice guitar and it sounds great what dont you like about it?

The same thing you don't ... it doesn't work like it's supposed to ...

Sell it cut your losses and get a real guitar...

I'm not trying to be harsh' date=' but the robot blows... sorry ...

Why do you think you're the third owner of a relatively new "guitar"...

[/quote'] What-cha talking about Axe-man?

I will help you out' date=' I'm a little north of you, down 90 just past the last toll. Close to the Illinois/Wisconsin Boarder. I'll let you charge up your battery with my charger and I can make you one that will work with a low enough output that will not charge to fast or damage anything.

Heck I could even set you up with hook-ups so you can pull your battery and charge it off the guitar, and set you up with a comparitable extra battery, if you want.[/quote']

please call me 630 675 8036 name is chris call anytime

Pretty cut and dry ...

They are problematic ...

I've read more "help me threads about them' date=' than I have this is awesome threads ....[/quote']

Well I sure got a real good one and no problems so far. Mine is Perfect. Fit/Finish/Playability, thats saying a lot for a new Gibson, just that cheep-*** plastic nut cut by a home-less guy(that sneeks in all the time and installs all their nuts on their guitars for beer money) that forgot his Glasses that keeps the tunners whrilling up and down and the strings pinging. Nothing unusual, though from Gibson

Archived